No announcement yet.

2020 Ford 7.3 Gasser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got to love a giant pushrod motor, very simple design!

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
      I've driven them twice, in the same platform I currently have, sans diesel engine.

Low end is good, has a nice V-8 burble to it. Once you hit around 40mph and put your foot in it, it becomes real apparent your not in a diesel anymore. My diesel is pretty darn quick from 40-80mph, this one is not.

Still, the tradeoffs may be worth it to me, as good or slightly better gas mileage, better performance off road and a better front end ride.

I pull a 10k travel trailer, that's the only thing giving me pause, but as of now I don't pull it but a few times a month. I pull a 4k lb trailer every other day or so that I think will handle that pretty well.
      What rear end?

Comment

Going to be similar to the old 460 (7.5)
        I used to run 460's in my trucks in Colorado abut as my 5th wheels got bigger it got slower up the mountain passes. There was one climb where I would drop to 15 mph up and around this steep grade and it was obnoxious.
        I went to town and bought a used 7.3 bone stock and that same hill was a 45 mph climb.
        Diesel vs gas, going to be the same scenario today roughly.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
          I used to run 460's in my trucks in Colorado abut as my 5th wheels got bigger it got slower up the mountain passes. There was one climb where I would drop to 15 mph up and around this steep grade and it was obnoxious.
          I went to town and bought a used 7.3 bone stock and that same hill was a 45 mph climb.
          Different engine all together, has variable cam timing,port injection, forged crank, variable oil pressure pump and the techs at Ancira Ford are already complaining about them. Lol, they complain about the 6.7 too.

My understanding is it is the replacement for the V10 which was a vocational engine.

Comment

Do you own the new 7.3?

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
              I'd bet this motor would really come to life with some bolt ons and a tune. Or a nice supercharger

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
              I was thinking stick a turbo or two on it. That would make it a beast too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                Far less now though, and far less intrusive, and expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To my knowledge they still have EGR and definitely cats, sometimes multiples. But no DEF for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Couple things influenced the poor "Mountain Pass" climb in your old 460 vs. the 7.3 PS. Altitude/Oxygen and probably gearing (but mostly altitude). Diesels create combustion by high compression (Oxygen not as important), gas needs more oxygen in its lower compression to "combust". Add in the fact the 7.3 had a turbo (post '94) and it really excelled. Turbos are almost a necessity at higher altitude driving with a gas motor

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    To my knowledge they still have EGR and definitely cats, sometimes multiples. But no DEF for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    No DPF either. That is the killer on diesels. DEF is just an injector stuck into the exhaust pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                      What rear end?
                      Drove both the 3:55 and the 4:30.

I honestly couldn’t tell much of a difference with the 10 speed tranny.

I would probably go 4:30 in mine

Comment

I have a 2017 F350 with the 6.2 gas and 3.73 rear end. I carry a slide in truck camper. I am on another truck camper forum and there is a guy on there that got the new 7.3 and hauls the same truck camper as I do.

So far his comments have been very positive and said running empty he is getting about 14-14.5 mpg all around and that is 2 mpg more than I am getting with my 6.2. He said the power is very impressive and the 10 speed transmission has been mated very well with the engine.

That is about all I have heard so far.

Comment

I drove one and it was nice and had more power than my current 6.2. It was the closest gas engine I've driven to a diesel. Would love to get one cause I will not own another diesel. Diesel trucks are just not worth the cost anymore unless you pull heavy loads long distances often.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaBow View Post
                            Diesel trucks are just not worth the cost anymore unless you pull heavy loads long distances often.

this is the reason I'm making the switch in my next truck

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                              I have a 2017 F350 with the 6.2 gas and 3.73 rear end. I carry a slide in truck camper. I am on another truck camper forum and there is a guy on there that got the new 7.3 and hauls the same truck camper as I do.

So far his comments have been very positive and said running empty he is getting about 14-14.5 mpg all around and that is 2 mpg more than I am getting with my 6.2. He said the power is very impressive and the 10 speed transmission has been mated very well with the engine.

That is about all I have heard so far.
                              Good to know.

Originally posted by ShaBow View Post
                              I drove one and it was nice and had more power than my current 6.2. It was the closest gas engine I've driven to a diesel. Would love to get one cause I will not own another diesel. Diesel trucks are just not worth the cost anymore unless you pull heavy loads long distances often.
                              I've test driven 2 of them and the power mated with the 10 speed is pretty darn nice. They make quite a team. I was impressed.

When you punch it you can tell the power is held back until a certain speed (15-25?) then the power comes on and the truck launches pretty good for a big truck. A tuner in this truck should give full power from the bottom up- which would make it that much better.

Still can't decide which way to go though. 2019 6.7 or 2020 7.3 or 2020 6.7.

Each have their selling points, I'm waiting for more owner reports on the 7.3 right now.

I've also considered trying to rent a 7.3 (if I can find one) and hooking it to a decent load and making a few passes with it loaded down to help make my decision.

Good thing my current truck is running solid, time is on my side.

Comment

Have now put about 1000 miles on mine. First off gas mileage is averaging 14 mpg overall.
                                The low end torque is pretty good but mid range is a little flat. The tranny is very smooth.
                                Overall it does not compare to my previous diesel but for intermittent towing it fits the bill especially when I fill up & see the price. Sure miss my 48 gallon tank though, wish had a bigger tank.

Comment

Working...
                                X