Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-22-2022, 07:52 PM   #1
RutnBuk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills/Brown county
Default Torn bicep tendon?

I think its a proximal bicep tendon tear. Messing with a **** tire. I hit the gym today and did curls and could tell I needed to stop. Then an hour later I went to grab a tire and heard what sounded like 2 pops. Pain shout thru my upper body for about 20 seconds. I do have Dr appt in morn at 8 am. Right now im not in much pain. Feels like a Charley horse if I use my arm wrong is about it. My muscle is definitely different now though. How many of you have had this and didnt do surgery? How are you doing now?
RutnBuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2022, 07:58 PM   #2
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I had to have mine pulled back up and reattached. If it’s not sitting on your shoulder or down around your elbow some rest & TLC may be the answer. Dr will know more after MRI
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2022, 08:02 PM   #3
RutnBuk
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
I had to have mine pulled back up and reattached. If itís not sitting on your shoulder or down around your elbow some rest & TLC may be the answer. Dr will know more after MRI
My dad had to have this done a few years ago. He was messing with a dang tire as well. He said his muscle was just hanging by his elbow. Mines not hanging but its not the same as it used to be. Hopefully no surgery needed. I already know I cant use a bow.
Old 09-22-2022, 08:04 PM   #4
Trophy7
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

I tore my distal bicep tendon last year. Sounded like bubble wrap getting popped when I did it and my bicep went up my arm about 3”. My 1 year surgery date is actually tomorrow. Surgery went well and really wasn’t that painful. I was able to do some rifle hunting last season, just couldn’t lift anything over a few pounds for a few months (if I tried it let me know). I just starting hitting the gym again about 4 weeks ago and so far so good on getting my strength back.
Trophy7 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2022, 08:05 PM   #5
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Yea if it is in its normal place you very well may be able to lay up and the body heal itself and reattach. When it’s sitting on the elbow not much choice
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2022, 08:11 PM   #6
Stan R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison and Colorado County

I did one about 20 years ago.. it still gives a pain at times. Did the other one about 12 months ago. Same thing.

Not fun
Stan R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2022, 08:15 PM   #7
Tbar
Ten Point

My pulled loose...snapped like a rubber band.

I didn't want to look like Popeye so I got it fixed at the Tom Landry Sports Medicine Center.
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2022, 08:16 PM   #8
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

I’ve done it twice. One surgery and one not surgery. My left arm I tore my bicep back in late Feb. elected not to have surgery since I had just had foot surgery and didn’t want to deal with both. As of today it’s better but not 100% strength wise. Probably 75-80%
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2022, 09:07 PM   #9
Beargrasstx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I get permission or invited; public land, western states

Tore mine back in 2015, had surgery because I was young, active and didn't want to look like Popeye.

After 3 months I was able to start working out light and build it back up.

I would have surgery again. Sure you can live with a complete tear but why?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2022, 09:16 PM   #10
RutnBuk
Ten Point

Thanks y’all. I’ll inform of what the doc says. I’m hoping for no surgery. Leaving for an elk hunt in 7 weeks. Not a bow hunt luckily.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:47 PM   #11
krod777
Four Point

Hunt In: Montague,Cooke,Clay

I tore mine in 2013. Never got fixed. I wish I would of some days. Bass fishing bothers me when I set the hook using plastic baits.
krod777 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2022, 10:42 PM   #12
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

If it’s a tendon tear or rupture get it fixed. I ruptered my tendon and had to have it fixed, reattached . Sounded like a 22 going off and felt it through out my right side. Two screws in the elbow to fix. About a 3 hour surgery . Had to reattach bicep and tendon.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 07:20 AM   #13
Johnson
Six Point

Hunt In: Mexico

I tore mine in my left arm. Herd and felt a pop. Mine never detached though. Rest and lots of stretching. That was several months ago. I still have pain when I lift to much weight.
Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 07:22 AM   #14
Radar
Pope & Young

Was loading feed out of trailer and I tore my tendon off the bone in my forearm, my bicep went up on the edge of my shoulder. Drove myself to the hospital with my arm on top of my head, that was only way it did not hurt. Old sawbones had to get a long pair of needle nose pliers and pull the bicep back down and reattached the tendon to a drywall screw he drove in my forearm bone. (Floresville hospital has a Mccoys lumber yard across from them for emergency supplies)He had to make a big cut to get them pliers up in there. I was gimped up for a while. I dont recommend getting worked on in Floresville, I knowed of a man that went in there for a nut cutting and come out missing his appendix. they is a animal doctor up in the holler a ways that does more better work.

Name:  arm2.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  81.5 KB

Name:  arm3.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  65.3 KB
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 07:25 AM   #15
rut-ro
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy7 View Post
I tore my distal bicep tendon last year. Sounded like bubble wrap getting popped when I did it and my bicep went up my arm about 3Ē. My 1 year surgery date is actually tomorrow. Surgery went well and really wasnít that painful. I was able to do some rifle hunting last season, just couldnít lift anything over a few pounds for a few months (if I tried it let me know). I just starting hitting the gym again about 4 weeks ago and so far so good on getting my strength back.
Same here Halloween of last year surgery went well and needed no PT. could not pick up anything heavier than a pound for 3 months. If you need a brace let me know Ill send you mine Left Arm
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 07:26 AM   #16
Baygall
Ten Point

I’m scheduled for surgery to repair mine on Monday. Mine is torn 3/4 of the way. I opted for the surgery, dr. Says it won’t heal itself. Feels like a knot in my bicep and painful to use. Hopefully I’ll be up and at em in about 12 weeks.
Baygall is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 07:27 AM   #17
rut-ro
Pope & Young

Here is the surgery I had
Old 09-23-2022, 07:33 AM   #18
nimrodtracy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill country & East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Yea if it is in its normal place you very well may be able to lay up and the body heal itself and reattach. When itís sitting on the elbow not much choice
The PO has to have surgery to reattach it. I tore mine off the elbow ten years ago and several surgeons told me it will not reattach, so I got it done
nimrodtracy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 07:47 AM   #19
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bogies on the Golf Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by RutnBuk View Post
Thanks yíall. Iíll inform of what the doc says. Iím hoping for no surgery. Leaving for an elk hunt in 7 weeks. Not a bow hunt luckily.
So.... mine is a little different than a tear but I had mine cut (completely detached) during surgery and reattached. I was cleared to start shooting my bow at 8 weeks but it was uncomfortable so I worked my way back up to it with my son's bow (lower DW) and was fully shooting (54lb) at 10 weeks. So i would think that even if you did have to have surgery and had it done quickly, you would PROBABLY be okay for a NON-BOW hunt in 7 weeks...
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 08:22 AM   #20
mole
Four Point

Just had mine reattached on March 31st. My tendon was hanging on by a thread according to the doc. Had the keyhole drilled, tendon moved and tied into a knot. My doc said that he has never in 20 plus years had to redo a knot, but he has replaced multiple screws. Stick to the rehab schedule and you will be fine. I was able to pull back 60lbs August 1st. I messed around for over a year with physical therapy and cortisone shots. You won't regret getting it fixed.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 08:24 AM   #21
louieagarcia
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Planet Earth

Man! Hope its not too serious, too close to huntin season to be getting hurt brotha!
louieagarcia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 08:46 AM   #22
squirrel
Eight Point

I had a distal bicep tendon tear on 7/11, ironically moving a gun safe into the back of a TBH's truck after I sold it on here. I wont name names but they were not lifting as much as I thought they were. I immediately knew it was torn, heard the tear then put my other hand on my bicep and could feel that it had moved up to my shoulder. And the throbbing.

I was somewhat surprised that I could still use the arm in a limited sense, but there was no way I could do to the gym. I had surgery 10 days afterwards and from what I understand getting surgery done soon is important as the tendon is not getting blood flow and is slowing dying. It is not going to reattached on its own. Surgery wasnt that bad, was in a cast for a week afterwards then a brace to limit range of motion. Doing PT now and can do 2lbs curls and increase weight 5lbs every 2 weeks. I tried to fish this last weekend and had trouble keeping my arm bent just to reel (no weight).
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 09:26 AM   #23
RutnBuk
Ten Point

My doctor said I need to go to the orthopedic ASAP. And of course he’s out of town on vacation. But I think they’re trying to get me in for early next week.
Old 09-23-2022, 09:38 AM   #24
HTOWN
Eight Point

Hunt In: ROCKSPRINGS

Quote:
My doctor said I need to go to the orthopedic ASAP. And of course heís out of town on vacation. But I think theyíre trying to get me in for early next week.

You have a small window in getting a smooth repair.
If you need to find another ortho, do it.
HTOWN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 09:49 AM   #25
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Was loading feed out of trailer and I tore my tendon off the bone in my forearm, my bicep went up on the edge of my shoulder. Drove myself to the hospital with my arm on top of my head, that was only way it did not hurt. Old sawbones had to get a long pair of needle nose pliers and pull the bicep back down and reattached the tendon to a drywall screw he drove in my forearm bone. (Floresville hospital has a Mccoys lumber yard across from them for emergency supplies)He had to make a big cut to get them pliers up in there. I was gimped up for a while. I dont recommend getting worked on in Floresville, I knowed of a man that went in there for a nut cutting and come out missing his appendix. they is a animal doctor up in the holler a ways that does more better work.

Attachment 1103236

Attachment 1103237
Been there and done this! Mine sounded like a bone had snapped into! It looks like they sawed your arm into with a dull saw ! 2 surgeons repaired mine, they drilled holes in my bones- split the tendon, fed the two splits through 2 holes , tied them together. I only did about 2 weeks of therapy then was back at work swinging 12 lb hammers and tore it up again. I havenít been able to swing a hammer since 2008.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 09:55 AM   #26
squirrel
Eight Point

If I were you I would go and get X rays and an MRI done so when you meet with your ortho he has them to review. My preferred surgeon had Covid which was going to delay the surgery 5 days so I went with my #2 guy since I was being told you need to have the surgery within 2 weeks. They still had to make an extra incision to be able to retrieve my bicep.
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 10:10 AM   #27
RutnBuk
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTOWN View Post
You have a small window in getting a smooth repair.
If you need to find another ortho, do it.
Iím trying to find another dr now. Soonest they can see me is oct 5th.
Old 09-23-2022, 11:42 AM   #28
Tbuddyandroby
Ten Point

Hunt In: Votaw

Distal tear here. I'm glad I did the surgery. My bicep is back to 100%, and I lift regularly with no issues. The above post is correct in that you have a window for surgery. Dr. David Lintner (Did my knee scope) or Dr. Michael Hopson (Did my bicep surgery) ARE EXCEPTIONAL. If you can secure Dr. Litner away from the Astro's playoffs, great, but Dr. Hopson is the same caliper Dr. Both are with Methodist in the Houston/Baytown area.
I used shooting bipod/tripod not long after my surgery. My shooting shoulder was the same as my bicep tear. Good luck!
Tbuddyandroby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 11:52 AM   #29
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

OUCH! Imagine if that ever happened to your Johnson
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 02:00 PM   #30
RutnBuk
Ten Point

Looks like I gotta just wait a bit. I guess Drs dont work on Fridays anymore. Hopefully Monday one of them will call me back.
Old 09-23-2022, 02:29 PM   #31
Trophy7
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by rut-ro View Post
Same surgery I had

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
If I were you I would go and get X rays and an MRI done so when you meet with your ortho he has them to review.
I agree with this the ortho will need an MRI and the sooner you can get it done, the sooner they can possibly schedule surgery. I had surgery about 3 weeks after I tore mine.
Trophy7 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 02:48 PM   #32
rut-ro
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy7 View Post
Same surgery I had

I agree with this the ortho will need an MRI and the sooner you can get it done, the sooner they can possibly schedule surgery. I had surgery about 3 weeks after I tore mine.
My Dr did not need MRI to know mine was torn. It was up near my shoulder. They can also do the ole tendon hood test
Old 09-23-2022, 03:03 PM   #33
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post

Attachment 1103236

Attachment 1103237
Iíve heard that chicks dig scars Jeff, is it true ?
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 04:25 PM   #34
Tbuddyandroby
Ten Point

Hunt In: Votaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rut-ro View Post
My Dr did not need MRI to know mine was torn. It was up near my shoulder. They can also do the ole tendon hood test
Same, Mine looked like I was flexing, but I wasn't...
Tbuddyandroby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 05:11 PM   #35
Radar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Iíve heard that chicks dig scars Jeff, is it true ?
I donít think it works for me
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 08:25 PM   #36
∆theling
Pope & Young

For those of yall with torn arm tendons please satisfy my curiosity.

Were you born with with or without a vestigial muscle and tendon in your arm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
∆theling is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 08:46 PM   #37
retrieverman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I tore my right bicep about 13 years ago and never got it fixed. It doesn’t cause me too much trouble, but it’s what caused me to have to go to a crossbow.
retrieverman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2022, 08:08 AM   #38
RutnBuk
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrieverman View Post
I tore my right bicep about 13 years ago and never got it fixed. It doesnít cause me too much trouble, but itís what caused me to have to go to a crossbow.
Might be heading your route. Feels like its already getting better.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:35 AM   #39
retrieverman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Might be heading your route. Feels like its already getting better.
If youíre a hard core bow hunter/shooter, you probably need to get it fixed, because that one of the things that having the torn tendon has ended for me. I can still pull a bow, but it hurts bad enough that I donít want to.
retrieverman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top