Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great weekend in the panhandle! Big LDP’s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great weekend in the panhandle! Big LDP’s.

We had an awesome time this past weekend and took some great animals. This was a hunt the ranch donated to the Life and Liberty banquet and was bought by a friend of ours and his son. We kicked off the weekend looking for a big axis for Payne. Saw a few good bucks Friday, but not what we wanted. We were after this particular buck that had just stripped his velvet and had monster caudal tines. Payne liked his look and passed on a few really nice 30-33” velvet bucks waiting him out.

After the morning hunt with a no show on the axis, we grabbed the sticks and walked down to a big clearing the blackbuck hang out in. This big guy was working his way towards some does so we set Sean up and he made a great shot on this awesome blackbuck.

That afternoon we decided on the spot and stalk approach and were lucky enough to find the axis on the opposite end of the ranch from where he normal hangs out. We got set up and Payne made a heck of a needle threading shot through some thick brush and he was down. He had busted off his matching caudal tine, but with all the hanging velvet we still wanted him. 34 1/2 x 32” main beams and 14” tines, he was an awesome axis buck.

The weekend before this hunt, two of our big waterbuck bulls had gotten in a fight up at the lodge and actually totaled the side of one of our guy’s trucks pushing each other into it several times. It happened overnight and the only reason we expected waterbuck was because of the size of the tracks and the hair we found on the truck. Fast forward to this weekend and we spot this old bull and confirmed what we assumed. He had broken off both of his horns and was alone on the far end of the ranch from the rest of the herd. With him being the oldest bull and with a few great up and comers that obviously are breeding age and dominant, we decided to take this guy out. I had my brand new APR 280 AI and figured he was the perfect animal to break it in on. We got set up at 337 yards and the 140 grain Accubond hammered him. Once again Robert and his guys made an awesome rifle for me. Very excited to see what it will do with some handloads, because it shoots the factory Nosler stuff very well.

We still have a few dates open and some great animals to be hunted. Text or PM for info to book. 806 206 3289.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great animals. Crazy seeing that Waterbuck with both antlers just sawed off. I could see one being broke but both like that is nuts!

Comment

Very nice! And a good taxidermist can fix that broken tine on the young man's axis.

Awesome critters, as usual Matt!

Comment

Awesome as always Matt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

crazy waterbucks- he busted off the sheath on his right side only leaving his horn core, then broke that also !!!

good meeting you the other day

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
            Great animals. Crazy seeing that Waterbuck with both antlers just sawed off. I could see one being broke but both like that is nuts!
            It had to be a pretty good fight to bust them both like that. They tore the hell out of that pickup. I’m going to walk around some behind the lodge and look for the horns this week.

Comment

Heck yea, beautiful animals!

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                crazy waterbucks- he busted off the sheath on his right side only leaving his horn core, then broke that also !!!

good meeting you the other day
                Pretty wild for sure. Nice meeting you as well. Glad you ended up getting a pretty cool looking bull, they sent us a pic when you shot him.

Comment

Yes sir.

Comment

Working...
                  X