Tawakoni WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birddogem301 View Post
    Here is a twin buttes buck that I was chasing last year. I hope he survived so that I can have another crack at him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re allowed to bait there??

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
      You’re allowed to bait there??

Your allowed to hand throw bait out there.

Comment

IM new to public hunting and thinking of hunting Tawakoni any advice?

Comment

Tawakoni is really tough to hunt due to the pressure. It is the closest public hunting spot to the metroplex and is heavily pressured. there are a bunch of great deer out there you just have to find them and avoid people at the same time. There are three units that you can hunt and each of them seem to be quite different in terrain. I spent most of my time on the pawnee unit. if i can help out shoot me a PM.

Comment

Anyone been killing ducks on Tawakoni? Lavon is so heavily vegetated from being low and plants moving plus it being 8+ feet high now has made it un-huntable for my boat.

Looking to try something new. wondering if everyone on Tawakoni is in the same situation i'm in on Lavon.

Comment

How different are the terrains of the 3 units? also how do weekday hunts compare to weekends?

Comment

Originally posted by CJ776 View Post
                Anyone been killing ducks on Tawakoni? Lavon is so heavily vegetated from being low and plants moving plus it being 8+ feet high now has made it un-huntable for my boat.

Looking to try something new. wondering if everyone on Tawakoni is in the same situation i'm in on Lavon.
                No ducks at all on Lavon?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HR3 View Post
                  No ducks at all on Lavon?

Not saying that at all. Saw a ton of gadwall a few
                  weeks ago, and I can imagine the guys with decoy rafts/ deep water rigs are doing great.

It is just too deep to wade hunt (10 feet to high) on the west branch of the lake where my boat can access, and all my rigs are for puddle ducks in knee deep water or shallower.

Don’t have a mud motor to go up through thick veg to back pockets.

The better question is, “is Tawakoni low enough to hunt outside of a boat in waders.”

Comment

Not sure about the ducks anywhere, I don't get really mad at them til around Christmas and the lakes are typically low then

Comment

For those hunting out there... would you say waiting at a spot for an animal to come to you or would you say that covering ground and putting the stalk on is more effective in the wma? How has vehicle security been? I noticed at duck cove a ton of busted glass! Any advise for a new hunter to the area not new to hunting.. cheers y’all best of luck

Comment

Scout out a hot spot and situate yourself properly....May have to get back in there..... Stalking may not go over so well on public land..if you happen upon someone's setup...... IMHO

Comment

Got ya ... I’ll give it a try ... and I’ll keep the walking to the weekdays I hunt out there so hopefully I don’t ruin someone’s hunt ... thanks for the reply

Comment

I was looking on google maps for the parking for the caddo creek unit so I could go walk around out there this spring. the book map shows parking but I dont see it for the life of me

Comment

it looks like a mall parking lot... Lol... Not sure if it shows up on Google maps are not

Comment

How are the hogs out in this area?
                                Last edited by Therooster240g; 03-07-2019, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X