Stands on Public Lands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D u s t y View Post
    Most of the time yes, we haul the stand in each morning and take it with us each evening. One reason you see guys buying the ultra light stands and game carts. Stand corn bow everything else typically is 75lbs or more each trip
    Corn on public lands???

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
      Corn on public lands???
      The rules for corn vary widely on public land. Some allow feaders, some hand corn, some nothing.

Comment

If its a WMA, you can't bait at all.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
          The rules for corn vary widely on public land. Some allow feaders, some hand corn, some nothing.
          Interesting... I’ve only seen one or two drawn hunts in Texas that allow baiting. The vast majority do not allow baiting of any kind. Not sure about other states though.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
            If its a WMA, you can't bait at all.
            That is incorrect. Some WMA's allow baiting now. Gus Engeling WMA allows baiting during their deer hunts.

Comment

Some hunter skirt that 72hr rule, they think that if they hid stand further in no one will know. I have two lightweight stands I use. Good day pack with essentials, water, light, knifes,water...gps. it may sound much, but for this Marine its not. I have found getting further in away from crowds I see more deer (I also use mountain bike if trail allows). Good luck and be safe with gun season coming up. I hunt publiclands, as I'm tired of all the lease politics..... and they gotten way expensive for the short time you able to actually use them (south Texas are driving).Click image for larger version

Name:	Arkansas Deer 135 lbs 11.8-9.2008006.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	24558930

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Comment

If you're going to pack your stand in, upgrade your straps and add a belt. Back when I was climbing, I hauled 55 lbs 7 miles from an elevation of 7,500 ft to 11,000. I was tired but my shoulders and back still were in good shape. I hauled my stand, sticks and pack, all total less than my old training weight of 23 lbs about 3/4 of a mile using the straps that came with the stand and my shoulders were killing me. Good straps and a belt make all the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by tiberiuswade View Post
                  Some hunter skirt that 72hr rule, they think that if they hid stand further in no one will know. I have two lightweight stands I use. Good day pack with essentials, water, light, knifes,water...gps. it may sound much, but for this Marine its not. I have found getting further in away from crowds I see more deer (I also use mountain bike if trail allows). Good luck and be safe with gun season coming up. I hunt publiclands, as I'm tired of all the lease politics..... and they gotten way expensive for the short time you able to actually use them (south Texas are driving).[ATTACH]931245[/ATTACH]

Nice buck! Thanks for your service.

Comment

So some hike in to public to get away from the crowds and bring corn too. Interesting way to work out but if it gets your heart rate up go for it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tiberiuswade View Post
                      Some hunter skirt that 72hr rule, they think that if they hid stand further in no one will know. I have two lightweight stands I use. Good day pack with essentials, water, light, knifes,water...gps. it may sound much, but for this Marine its not. I have found getting further in away from crowds I see more deer (I also use mountain bike if trail allows). Good luck and be safe with gun season coming up. I hunt publiclands, as I'm tired of all the lease politics..... and they gotten way expensive for the short time you able to actually use them (south Texas are driving).[ATTACH]931245[/ATTACH]

Aren’t you the guy that killed the big 10 in the Sam last year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                        Aren’t you the guy that killed the big 10 in the Sam last year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Yeah, this year doing lots out state hunts (rains hampering things here). Do have cameras out in sam where I took buck-gettimg good movements but at nights. They hitting acorns though so mid next month should be good them. I keep a small hunt log with ytd stuff so can compare yearly changes and moon phases. Good luck out there and don't get distracted or disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                          I’m using a summit climber right now in the DCNF. It’s nice to throw on the tree and go up but the platform is fairly small and the bar around the side makes it feel too compact for me. I hunt around a lot of oak trees and can climb most of them, but it is annoying seeing a branch with a 2” diameter and having to pick another tree.
                          Highway, summit has about 4 different types of climbing stands I have the Goliath it's the big one. Some of their models are very small not very roomy.

Comment

its a pain but I've always followed whatever rule the PH/WMA area dictated. If I left a stand overnight, I definitely locked it with a chain and hunted the next morning, mainly so no one else bothered it.
                            Aside from that, if I saw other stands in the area that had been there for days on end, I reported them with location so the area manager could remove them.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                              its a pain but I've always followed whatever rule the PH/WMA area dictated. If I left a stand overnight, I definitely locked it with a chain and hunted the next morning, mainly so no one else bothered it.
                              Aside from that, if I saw other stands in the area that had been there for days on end, I reported them with location so the area manager could remove them.
                              I also pack in/out daily, with the rare exception when I will be returning the next morning. It gets frustrating at times finding stands/pop ups left out for extended periods. Last year as an example I hunted a specific unit very hard. About 2 weeks into the season wo stands got hung in a place I had pre scouted . Walked past that stand at least 80 times and never saw a person sit there once. I probably have close to 100 stand/pop ups marked on my map between different public lands. If people don’t leave them idle for long I don’t really care either way, but if they sit idle for long periods it’s always tempting to take them down (and leave on the ground, not steal them) or send in the coordinates.

Comment

I hunt on the ground and I hunt the wind. I carry a Nif-t-seat on a belt to sit on if I find a hot spot to sit for a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X