No announcement yet.

My Axis lease!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we allowed to ask where this is located??? Dont need exact place, just curious the area.

Comment

I would be excited too! Congrats!!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          I think I’ve got all the leases I can handle now lol

There’s no openings. It’s just me and one other TBH’er on the place.
          I’ve never killed an Axis either. I can’t even tell you how exciting am about this place.
          You should keep all this to yourself. You’re giving the rest of us heartburn

Comment

That is awesome. I would be excited as well and I have killed Axis.

Comment

That’s is a great lease,

Comment

Originally posted by Rex View Post
                Very Nice!!! Are you allowed to hunt them all year?

Yes I can hunt them anytime of the year. Most of the big boys are still in velvet right now.

Originally posted by SHSU18 View Post
                Are we allowed to ask where this is located??? Dont need exact place, just curious the area.
                Near Brackettville

Comment

B
                  Attached Files

Comment

Very nice Jeff good luck to you. I've never killed one either. They look as big as that 12 lb crappie [emoji23]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

that's a great area for axis for sure. congrats on the lease! we've had axis free ranging roaming through our place for at least a handful of years now, and can share a few things i've learned.

1. they are tough - vitals are further forward than WT. Especially important if bow hunting them to take that quartering away heart shot, and drive up into the pump station.

2. they also seem to really like alfalfa on our place if throw out a bale

3. the rut is in the summer - seems like June-July is when we see the most pics of new good bucks moving through. Of 4 good bucks we've taken i think were all between 6/15 and 8/4. ...still have seen some really good ones at other times (January mostly), but usually summer is best.

4. they don't really seem to pattern to feeders all that well on our place, tend to be hit or miss. I have noticed that most of the ones in velvet this time of year go into hard antler sometime in April, or maybe early May...and then they really get unpredictable. some that are a little consistent usually break that once they get into hard antler.

we don't have a large population of does, but if we had better water sources and some hay fields, i know we'd hold a lot more axis on our place. something to work towards. oh and they also seem to really like salt blocks, like trophy rock etc.

hope this is helpful! and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by jmiles95 View Post
                        that's a great area for axis for sure. congrats on the lease! we've had axis free ranging roaming through our place for at least a handful of years now, and can share a few things i've learned.

1. they are tough - vitals are further forward than WT. Especially important if bow hunting them to take that quartering away heart shot, and drive up into the pump station.

2. they also seem to really like alfalfa on our place if throw out a bale

3. the rut is in the summer - seems like June-July is when we see the most pics of new good bucks moving through. Of 4 good bucks we've taken i think were all between 6/15 and 8/4. ...still have seen some really good ones at other times (January mostly), but usually summer is best.

4. they don't really seem to pattern to feeders all that well on our place, tend to be hit or miss. I have noticed that most of the ones in velvet this time of year go into hard antler sometime in April, or maybe early May...and then they really get unpredictable. some that are a little consistent usually break that once they get into hard antler.

we don't have a large population of does, but if we had better water sources and some hay fields, i know we'd hold a lot more axis on our place. something to work towards. oh and they also seem to really like salt blocks, like trophy rock etc.

hope this is helpful! and good luck!

Great info. Thanks.

Thanks for all the good luck wishes. I hope to be posting LDP’s later this year.

Comment

If you shoot at them broad side and leg forward you won’t have an issue. I quit telling people the vitals are more forward because they tend to hit them in the shoulder and loose them.

Get you some Redmond pink salt blocks. They love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Some studs in there! Congrats on the new place.

Comment

Looks like it should be supper easy, how many you get to shoot ?

Comment

Got some toads there, also was going to ask what your limits were on the lease like the guy above ^^. Very cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X