No announcement yet.

Official Lake Whintney and Aquilla 2016-2017 hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got around to skinning out the head on my Whitney buck. After I got the hide past the gums, I couldn't help but smile.

How many hunters had this old warrior outsmarted? How many fights had he lost and won? How many storms, droughts and floods had he seen?

I don't know. But my guess is more than his fair share. This is by far the oldest deer I've ever killed, and I have no idea on age!

Anyone got any guesses?

Comment

I'm gonna say 8-9, by the tooth aging with a lean more toward 8. Teeth in sandy areas will wear faster.
      Last edited by Texas Grown; 01-11-2017, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
        I'm gonna say 8-9, by the tooth aging with a lean more toward 8. Teeth in sandy areas will wear faster.
        It's pretty rewarding knowing I took this guy before old age did, because if thats the case I figure he only had one or two more seasons left in him.

He even had a layer of fat around the skin on his skull, which I have NEVER seen.

He was full of whole acorns.

Thanks for the input! I'm hoping to get out and chase hogs before too long.

Comment

Black blue fleck
          Attached Files

Comment

Oh yes, I can feel a ten pounder hitting that!!

Comment

Nobody hunting? Any fishing reports?

Comment

I wanted to get out there yesterday but things got in the way , and wit the Cowboys playing today I've got the smoker fired up. Gonna do a pork butt , ribs and sausage for game time.

Comment

Oh man that sounds good!! Headed for church this morning, off work tomorrow, going to benbrook and see if there's any fish.

Comment

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the boat ramp at Kimble was open, just in time to close hunting season. But I haven't seen any campers. Is it just the ramp that's open?

Thanks,

JC

Comment

Yep coop, just the ramp.

Comment

Hope this sun dries things up quick!

Comment

Well benbrook was a bust, marked fish everywhere, but north wind and 48 degree water they just won't bite.

Comment

We lucked out without any damage. Got 5" of rain last night quick with a lot of run off. Lake Whiney Marina didn't fair as well from the pictures I've seen. Looks to be destroyed. Anyone know anymore about it?

JC

Comment

It was rough last night I hope all of you came thru it ok.

Comment

My back yard still has standing water in it after all day. Can't do anything out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X