Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heroes ??

Partial rant and question....

I'm sick of seeing all the "heroes" of today including truck drivers and grocery store employees. Most stores have discounts for these heroes. I guess they expanded the list way past health care workers.

So question... If schools reopen will they add teachers to this heroes list? Will teachers get extra pay like a lot of grocery store employees?

Seems to me this is more of the “everyone gets a trophy” mentality. The word hero gets way over used these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
      Seems to me this is more of the “everyone gets a trophy” mentality. The word hero gets way over used these days.

I’m not sure why a person doing their job is considered a hero.
      If you have a job you better be thankful.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post

I was brought up to believe that you had to go to work come h3ll of High Water. That's just the way it was and the way it is. My boys 11 and 13 are also learning that.

Comment

I understand the everyone getting a trophy issue and don’t agree with it. No doubt the word hero is being thrown around loosely from us older folks definition of heroes. Given this we need to give credit where credit is due for the jobs these folks have performed when so many others are drawing more funds on unemployment.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post

They shouldn't be considered a hero. But if society says truck drivers are heroes but leave out teachers that's just stupid. But I guess everything else is backwards in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              They shouldn't be considered a hero. But if society says truck drivers are heroes but leave out teachers that's just stupid. But I guess everything else is backwards in 2020.
              From talking with different teachers in our family and friends circle the work load is actually more involved with the virtual classroom work. Maybe people are just thinking they are not working and just getting paid. That’s not the case and yes they definitely fit in our present heroes class of folks.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                From talking with different teachers in our family and friends circle the work load is actually more involved with the virtual classroom work. Maybe people are just thinking they are not working and just getting paid. That’s not the case and yes they definitely fit in our present heroes class of folks.
                Not gonna bash teachers, and yes, I can imagine a school year of "distance learning" would be a huge mess for them, but...…. I have a just graduated senior and one who just finished 10th grade. Both came home for spring break and here we are going on 4 months later. Both had to finish the school year "online" which was a joke. My senior basically got a pass since they were graduating, my sophomore was given a hand full of assignments each week that were essentially review. No grades were assigned for the remainder of the spring, just complete and submit and that was it.

Teachers will have been home for five months by the time they go back in August, assuming they do actually open schools, that's a pretty nice break. Don't tell me they have been busy all this time. I won't go into details, but I've had issues with school counselors not wanting to do their jobs, even refusing to call me to discuss an issue when requested. They conveniently use "working from home" as the reason they will only communicate via email, etc.... My sophomore also got screwed out of doing duel credit as a junior/senior because the entrance test he had to take is given by Austin Community College. Guess what, ACC completely shut down, zero workers present to even answer a phone, no calls back for two weeks, causing him to miss the deadline to get enrolled in the program. All I got from his counselor via emails was sorry, too bad. I had to go over her head and speak with a principal just to be able to actually speak with someone.

Back to the OP's point, yes, I think it is silly to label everyone as a hero these days. No, people simply doing their jobs are not hero's. I'm a police officer, no I am not a hero, just a regular guy doing my job and taking care of my family. That's not to say that there aren't many brave, heroic people who do amazing things every day. There certainly are. Delivering groceries, opening a dental practice back up, being a teacher working from home, etc.... simply does not qualify you as a hero.
                Last edited by rockyraider; 07-02-2020, 07:45 AM.

Comment

I'm not saying teachers are heroes for teaching online. I meant IF they go back and teach in schools they should be treated more like heroes versus truck drivers.

And make no mistake, you CAN'T teach effectively online or through zoom. Our education system already sucks. That would make it far worse. Talk about kids falling through the cracks....

Comment

Wow..[emoji849]...guess I ain't that upset about the term being expanded due to odd times. I hope when my journey is complete I am a hero to my family, the rest is subjective at best.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                      Wow..[emoji849]...guess I ain't that upset about the term being expanded due to odd times. I hope when my journey is complete I am a hero to my family, the rest is subjective at best.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                      I agree

Comment

This is a just matter of perspective IMHO. People doing their everyday job to sustain their family I would say is more of their responsibility than a measure of hero status. While this pandemic is nothing to take lightly, I would not anoint someone working through this time with hero status including myself in this

My choice for a Hero would be someone like Stephen Smith, an awesome father, great husband and a man whom quite his job and re-enlisted with the US Marines after 911. I was fortunate to work with him for a few short years before he sadly passed way too early.

Señor Landrover, I don't know you personally but from reading your posts it's easy to see you are a man of great character. There is not doubt in my mind that your family sees you as a Hero. Similarly, I see my parents as Heroes. Boh of my parents made extraordinary sacrifices to assure my siblings and I would have the opportunity to live in America and have an opportunity to partake in the American Dream. They both shed blood, sweat and tears to ensure our family would have an opportunity to succeed. However, I would not expect most people to think of my parents as Heroes...

To be a productive member of society is the least we should do to honor those Heroes that made the ultimate sacrifice so we can live our lives as we do IMHO
                        Last edited by Pedernal; 07-02-2020, 09:12 AM. Reason: Add perspective

Comment

Working...
                        X