No announcement yet.

Montgomery County Appraisal District

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I appealed my land evaluation and won. Yippee. Taxes still went up!

Comment

I wish someone qualified would run for Tax Collector/Assessor in Montgomery County. I transferred a travel trailer and it took three trips to the court house. The last issue was they wanted a Bill of Sale signed by the seller. I asked for some reference to Texas law that requires this. They said it was a requirement of the Texas Comptroller. I called the Comptroller's office and they knew nothing about it. Just another fiery hoop to jump through.

Comment

We keep our firm on retainer to challenge every year.......or when it makes sense to challenge it! I will say I can see our money at work, but also clearly realize there is a lot of fat on that hog.

Comment

Harris County is no better. They have maxed out the amount they can go up for many years now. The taxes are ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I started using a tax service a few years ago that takes care of it and you only pay them a percentage of the savings. They nock off a chunk every year. I try to get all my neighbors to get in on it too. I’m pretty sure someone at the tax office gets a chunk of their piece.

Comment

Hurry up and turn 65, then your taxes are frozen. There are some good things about getting old, including being exempt from jury service if you are over 70.

Comment

I’m in Parker county and I was successful in getting my appraisal lowered this year. They lowered it to my homestead cap amount and threw out what they couldn’t touch and reminded my next year was an evaluation year. They made it look like they bent but came out the same tax wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Montgomery County Appraisal District

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                  Part of the reason I left. That and Roman forest pd

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

If you wouldn’t have always been breaking the law, they wouldn’t have been messing with you.

I’ve had my fair share of run in with Roman Forest and woodbranch PD.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                    I wish someone qualified would run for Tax Collector/Assessor in Montgomery County. I transferred a travel trailer and it took three trips to the court house. The last issue was they wanted a Bill of Sale signed by the seller. I asked for some reference to Texas law that requires this. They said it was a requirement of the Texas Comptroller. I called the Comptroller's office and they knew nothing about it. Just another fiery hoop to jump through.
                    You do know the Tax Assessor and Chief Appraisor are different people? Tax Assessor is an elected position, the chief appraisoris an appointed position if I understand this correctly but a county employee. The appraisal review board members are appointed non paid citizens. The executive board members have an appointed/elected sort of position and are citizens from within the districts. The Executive board approve budgets of the appraisal board but are not directly involved with the appraisal. This is all public open records information. Not that any of this is relevant to the topic of increasing taxes.
                    Last edited by tps7742; 07-09-2020, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Just got back from protesting my taxes. First thing I did when I got home was start looking for houses in a different county. That was the most arrogant, condescending group of 3 people! We got zero removed from the bill because my wife accidentally checked the wrong box when filing our protest online, so none of our “evidence” was permitted. Now we have to appeal and go through the entire thing again.

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
                        I’m in Parker county and I was successful in getting my appraisal lowered this year. They lowered it to my homestead cap amount and threw out what they couldn’t touch and reminded my next year was an evaluation year. They made it look like they bent but came out the same tax wise.

I feel for ya, bmac…………………………..
                        Parker county, are the worst of the worst...……………

Comment

Had my appeal hearing today. Ended up getting them to come down $60k off of their proposed $100k increase, so wound up with a $40k increase. I’m the end pretty happy with the result, as I paid $40k more than my appraised value in December of last year.

One thing I learned today...the appraisal district will have a ‘fair market value’ of your home in their presentation. They show this number, but they will have it off to the side and they will not bring it up. All of the other numbers are their ‘proposed values’ of their comparable homes. They really can’t argue with anything higher than their ‘fair market value’, because that is based off of median selling prices of the comparable homes. May be something you can pass along to others in the future who are appealing, or if you ever have to do it yourself.

Comment

Have been in Illinois for 8 years and just moved back. Never sold our house here and it is valued a bit higher than the one we had in Illinois. Believe me, it could be worse!! Illinois is a full 2X the $.... I was an appraiser for a county here in Texas before I left and one thing I can tell you is that we all hate what the counties do, but they are measured and graded by the State of Texas and when they are audited they get in trouble if their numbers do not match up to what the State's numbers for their area are. Bottom line, Taxes and Dieing, the two certainties in life.... both suck.

That said, PROTEST, PROTEST, PROTEST!!!! It works!~

Comment

Originally posted by TKRanch View Post
                              Have been in Illinois for 8 years and just moved back. Never sold our house here and it is valued a bit higher than the one we had in Illinois. Believe me, it could be worse!! Illinois is a full 2X the $.... I was an appraiser for a county here in Texas before I left and one thing I can tell you is that we all hate what the counties do, but they are measured and graded by the State of Texas and when they are audited they get in trouble if their numbers do not match up to what the State's numbers for their area are. Bottom line, Taxes and Dieing, the two certainties in life.... both suck.

That said, PROTEST, PROTEST, PROTEST!!!! It works!~
                              I think the whole system is a scam. They’re basically creating their own pay scale based on the their appraised values.

Comment

Don't move to Nueces County, it's criminal! Lots of folks pay minimal or no taxes, increasing the burden on the ones that do.

Comment

Working...
                                X