Underground fire water storage question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underground fire water storage question

Hey TBH- anybody know anything about underground fire water storage? Fire Marshall is requiring 2000 gallon underground storage with a hose connection above surface. They didn’t give any other info at all on types of tanks etc. Hoping there’s a turnkey product out there ready to bury

Thanks

FM should have provided that info since they are requiring it.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltaholic View Post
      Hey TBH- anybody know anything about underground fire water storage? Fire Marshall is requiring 2000 gallon underground storage with a hose connection above surface. They didn’t give any other info at all on types of tanks etc. Hoping there’s a turnkey product out there ready to bury

Thanks
      Why and what for? Maybe I missed another thread?

I have a rural fire plug on my pond dam. It was there when I bought my place 20 plus years ago. I used to get a discount on my insurance for it but this no longer applies.
      Last edited by tps7742; 07-07-2020, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
        Why and what for? Maybe I missed another thread?

I have a rural fire plug on my pond dam. It was there when I bought my place 20 plus years ago. I used to get a discount on my insurance for it but this no longer applies.

New shop we are building [emoji4] it’s considered commercial so it’s a hassle to do anything

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post

Thanks, will call tomorrow and ask details was wondering if it was common knowledge I may have missed lol

Comment

Where is that!?

Comment

Ask Mexico on here.

Comment

Wow never heard of this, I wouldn’t think 2000 gallons would last very long if it was really needed. I bet that costs some $$ to install. I wonder if there are alternatives.

Comment

Shop is over 10,000 SQ. ft then yes?

Comment

Here’s some answers-
                  Fort bend county
                  All commercial not in city limits now require to have a minimum 2000 gallon on site storage and we asked for underground because of space constraints
                  Shop is 3000 sqf

Comment

Maybe they will just require a static source that they can draft from. Like a 2000 gallon tank with a simple lid that they can remove to insert some hard suction line in. I imagine if it has to have a high flow pump and such that it would get expensive quick. Like having a tanker on site that they can pull from. Weird request though. I would think it would have to be far enough from the structure that you could access it even if the building was on fire. Ask them if you can just build a pond instead. Multi purpose.
                    Seems like if they are requesting it then they should have specific requirements. Or tell the city/county to just install a hydrant in the area at their expense.

Comment

Originally posted by FireNguns View Post
                      Maybe they will just require a static source that they can draft from. Like a 2000 gallon tank with a simple lid that they can remove to insert some hard suction line in. I imagine if it has to have a high foe pump and such that it would get expensive quick. Like having a tanker on site that they can pull from. Weird request though. I would think it would have to be far enough from the structure that you could access it even if the building was on fire. Ask them if you can just build a pond instead. Multi purpose.
                      Seems like if they are requesting it then they should have specific requirements. Or tell the city/county to just install a hydrant in the area at their expense.

Only specific requirements are 2000 gallon and a standpipe reaching 6” from the bottom with hose connection. That’s all the tank info they sent

Comment

I'm licensed Fire Alarm and All Suppression, but not sprinkler, but I've been around it a ton. Ft Bend County FM is one of the toughest we deal with. Get ready, because you're about to spend a pretty penny with Installation and permits. PM me and I'll give you a Licensed Sprinkler guy you can throw questions at. He can probably quote it too, if he's not too busy. I know he has a ton of work right now.

Comment

They don’t provide that and don’t design the systems. They’re the AHJ. They just tell you what’s wrong with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are you having to sprinkle the building too?

Comment

You are expecting too much of a local bureaucrat. Fire Marshall's get to throw a wrench in all kinds of projects.

Comment

Working...
                              X