Masks and the increase in COVID cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
    I understand that it is in the vapor and not just the air, but doesn't that mean my mask is collecting/soaking up the vapor? The study linked below is what got me thinking about it. They tested healthcare workers using no masks, medical masks, and cloth masks albeit against flu like diseases and not COVID specifically. The results concluded that medical masks were best, no mask was second, and cloth masks were worse citing poor filtration, reusability, and moisture retention.

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/e006577
    Did you read the response to this study, written by the same authors?

Editor's Note The authors of this article, published in 2015, have written a response to their work in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. We urge our readers to consider the response when reading the article. Objective The aim of this study was to compare the efficacy of cloth masks to medical masks in hospital healthcare workers (HCWs). The null hypothesis is that there is no difference between medical masks and cloth masks. Setting 14 secondary-level/tertiary-level hospitals in Hanoi, Vietnam. Participants 1607 hospital HCWs aged ≥18 years working full-time in selected high-risk wards. Intervention Hospital wards were randomised to: medical masks, cloth masks or a control group (usual practice, which included mask wearing). Participants used the mask on every shift for 4 consecutive weeks. Main outcome measure Clinical respiratory illness (CRI), influenza-like illness (ILI) and laboratory-confirmed respiratory virus infection. Results The rates of all infection outcomes were highest in the cloth mask arm, with the rate of ILI statistically significantly higher in the cloth mask arm (relative risk (RR)=13.00, 95% CI 1.69 to 100.07) compared with the medical mask arm. Cloth masks also had significantly higher rates of ILI compared with the control arm. An analysis by mask use showed ILI (RR=6.64, 95% CI 1.45 to 28.65) and laboratory-confirmed virus (RR=1.72, 95% CI 1.01 to 2.94) were significantly higher in the cloth masks group compared with the medical masks group. Penetration of cloth masks by particles was almost 97% and medical masks 44%. Conclusions This study is the first RCT of cloth masks, and the results caution against the use of cloth masks. This is an important finding to inform occupational health and safety. Moisture retention, reuse of cloth masks and poor filtration may result in increased risk of infection. Further research is needed to inform the widespread use of cloth masks globally. However, as a precautionary measure, cloth masks should not be recommended for HCWs, particularly in high-risk situations, and guidelines need to be updated. Trial registration number Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry: ACTRN12610000887077.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
      Did you read the response to this study, written by the same authors?

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/...-a-last-resort
      I hadn't found that yet, thanks for posting. Interesting to read the potential reasons for the results in the test. I gotta admit, I am a bit surprised they still recommend a reusable cloth mask over no mask based on the study, but with the potential reasons it makes more sense. Though they did mention the recommendation is not based on study, but pragmatism. Either way, it changes not what I do as I am required to wear one. Interesting topic though. Can the "logical" actions in fact be the wrong ones? I would really like to see a study done based on the current conditions, gov't recommendations, and peoples actual use of masks.

To the other posts, I highly agree most are wearing/using them wrong, though I don't think there has been enough info shared about how to PROPERLY use and sanitize cloth masks. Just that we have to wear them... I would like to see more of that put out there as well.

Comment

Word.

It doesnt matter if a mask is cloth or onetimeuse disposable...proper procedure for wear, donning and doffing has to be followed otherwise the use is null and void of effectiveness.

I like how we are attempting to stampede toward herd immunity. Ignorance and stupidity helps that. I think education and quarantines are delaying the inevitable quite effectively.

Comment

Wear a mask if not for you but for others.
          Maintain the recommended distance if not for you but others
          Avoid large groups and gatherings.
          Fairly simple concepts.
          Most folks have gotten lacks or lazy and let their guards down with all three of these concepts.

Being told by the government its ok to go back to 50% then 75% or whatever. Most folks went straight to %100.
          Sticking to something, grinding it out has been lost these days. Especially for most 30 year olds and below it has vanished. It looks like some of the 40 and older crowd are having problems with the long haul idea and following some easy rules too.

We were all told this thing would be around for awhile.

Comment

If you want to wear a mask , good
            If you don’t, good
            If you’re scared, stay home

Comment

I believe in freedom and pursuit of happiness.

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
              If you don’t, good
              I feel the same way to some degree about the second amendment.

I don’t believe in infringement but some folk just shouldn’t have a firearm...EVER!

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                If you don’t, good

^^Best post in any of these threads^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If masks work....then why did they release prisoners instead of giving them masks?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                    If masks work....then why did they release prisoners instead of giving them masks?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Million dollar question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

IMO, the greatest factor in the spike of COVID cases is due to all the idiots across the major Texas cities protesting. From what I saw on TV, most were NOT wearing mask and NO one was distancing. Timing of when protest happened and spike in cases is not a coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by webb09 View Post
                        IMO, the greatest factor in the spike of COVID cases is due to all the idiots across the major Texas cities protesting. From what I saw on TV, most were NOT wearing mask and NO one was distancing. Timing of when protest happened and spike in cases is not a coincidence.

And the timing fits 14 days give or take .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                          And the timing fits 14 days give or take .
                          Exactly

Comment

Originally posted by webb09 View Post
                            100%. It’s why they were allowed to riot. None of this is coincidental. The leftist elites are all in, gentlemen. We ain’t seen nothing yet!

Comment

No one wants to admit it ( media) cause then they’ll be labeled as racist for blaming the rioters

Comment

Masks and the increase in COVID cases

The Lancet has a great Meta-Analysis on mask that just came out. Looked at 24k people. Good mask, used properly, work. We need better leadership across the board. People in this country literally can’t agree on anything. We can’t pull together and rally for anything anymore. Even when it’s in our interest. Sad situation.
                                Last edited by Rcole1310; 06-26-2020, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X