Weight-forward arrows, teach me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
    My opinion, just buy a regular shaft. No need for the tapered stuff. Keep it simple. Get it planned out, but your shafts, throw your brass or SS inserts in and a heavier head.

I use Ethics Archery SS Adjustable Static inserts. They are adjustable from 50-100 grains. My opinion though, just build an arrow around a 100 grain insert and 125 grain head and you’ve got a great Texas hunting arrow.
    why is there no need.

tapered shafts have been around over 1000 years. Easton even talks about this. there is two reasons there are not more tapered shafts. cost, and they are difficult to build.

what tapered shafts do for you. they recover faster. faster recovery means less lost energy down line. in turn enhances penetration.

now. building FOC arrows with light gpi shafts will also recover faster then low FOC. but you dont get the same results as tapered shafts.

to the op. I agree with what muddyfuzzy wrote. pick total arrow weight and build to that weight. now building to that weight should be done with tip weight.

FOC is not that critical with field points. not that critical with mechanical heads. where you start seeing problems is with fixed broadheads. not all but some. it is also speed related. most people agree that arrows over 280fps have flight issues with fixed heads. how you fix is increase the FOC of an arrow. this allows better control.

there is only one con to heavy arrows, trajectory, there is only one pro to light arrows, trajectory.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
      why is there no need.

tapered shafts have been around over 1000 years. Easton even talks about this. there is two reasons there are not more tapered shafts. cost, and they are difficult to build.

what tapered shafts do for you. they recover faster. faster recovery means less lost energy down line. in turn enhances penetration.

now. building FOC arrows with light gpi shafts will also recover faster then low FOC. but you dont get the same results as tapered shafts.

to the op. I agree with what muddyfuzzy wrote. pick total arrow weight and build to that weight. now building to that weight should be done with tip weight.

FOC is not that critical with field points. not that critical with mechanical heads. where you start seeing problems is with fixed broadheads. not all but some. it is also speed related. most people agree that arrows over 280fps have flight issues with fixed heads. how you fix is increase the FOC of an arrow. this allows better control.

there is only one con to heavy arrows, trajectory, there is only one pro to light arrows, trajectory.
      Not denying the positives in a tapered shaft. When I said there is no need for the tapered shaft, I meant there is no need for him to go out and buy tapered shafts. He’s trying to increase some arrow weight with better FOC. Just trying to keep it simple for him. The sky really is the limit in how you want to build a shaft and there’s really no wrong way to do it, so long as everything is up to spec and you achieve your goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
        Not denying the positives in a tapered shaft. When I said there is no need for the tapered shaft, I meant there is no need for him to go out and buy tapered shafts. He’s trying to increase some arrow weight with better FOC. Just trying to keep it simple for him. The sky really is the limit in how you want to build a shaft and there’s really no wrong way to do it, so long as everything is up to spec and you achieve your goal.
        got it. I agree

Comment

I don't want yall to get misled, I want to keep the same arrow weight, but would like have the weight redistributed either with a tapered shaft or by "weight forward" tech, which is proving to be a ploy rather than true. The reason I am doing this is the arrow I use, will be discontinued eventually, so just getting ahead of the curve, so to speak.

Apologize for no responding today, but I have been busy at work today.

Thank yall so much the responses. Lot of good knowledge on here.

Just for the record, I was eyeballing Grizzlystiks last night, might try them out....possibly.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
            I don't want yall to get misled, I want to keep the same arrow weight, but would like have the weight redistributed either with a tapered shaft or by "weight forward" tech, which is proving to be a ploy rather than true. The reason I am doing this is the arrow I use, will be discontinued eventually, so just getting ahead of the curve, so to speak.

Apologize for no responding today, but I have been busy at work today.

Thank yall so much the responses. Lot of good knowledge on here.

Just for the record, I was eyeballing Grizzlystiks last night, might try them out....possibly.
            I believe grizzlysyik is doing a discount. Now, I would recommend the test kit. if you are looking at them let me know. I will help you with the grizzly stiks.

looks like 20% on the test kit
            Last edited by enewman; 04-14-2020, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
              I believe grizzlysyik is doing a discount. Now, I would recommend the test kit. if you are looking at them let me know. I will help you with the grizzly stiks.

looks like 20% on the test kit
              Yessir, you would be right. Its pretty snazzy the offer a test kit....nobody else does that.

Thanx for the offer, might take you up on it.

Thanx again, Calvin

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                Yessir, you would be right. Its pretty snazzy the offer a test kit....nobody else does that.

Thanx for the offer, might take you up on it.

Thanx again, Calvin
                Anytime.

The owner is good people. Little different but good people

Comment

Appreciate the comments guys

Comment

Great thread!

Comment

Yes it is a great thread. Lot of knowledgeable people on TBH.

Comment

Google Dr. Ed Ashby. He is the guru on FOC. I have heard him speak twice and was fortunate to have a private one-on-one conversation with him on the subject of FOC. He was FOC before GrizzlyStik was cool.

He is sponsored by no one and tells you how cow eats cabbage on BH, arrows, arrow weight and FOC. He knows his stuff.

Comment

Yep, done that. He does know his stuff. Some of his comparisons are not apples to apples from what I read. He is also more of a heavy arrow, momentum vs KE kinda guy. His advice is more applicable to Dangerous Game, which I will never be able to hunt in my life time, so there is that.

I was evaluating the difference in accuracy of arrows of the same weight and spine with different FOC. It seems this may be a unicorn.

Comment

Take Ashby “principles” not his “extremes” and apply them to your arrows and I promise you that difference in your arrow flight down range and penetration can be seen. I shoot low poundage so I need every advantage I can get. I have proved it on penetration of big, tough hogs and plans game African animals with pass thrus on larger size bodies.

Adding 50-100 gr of insert and going from a 100 to a 125 gr BH will make a difference. May have to spine up but that is a plus as that helps with total arrow weight.

Build a couple of arrow and try it and see what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo1 View Post
                              Take Ashby “principles” not his “extremes” and apply them to your arrows and I promise you that difference in your arrow flight down range and penetration can be seen. I shoot low poundage so I need every advantage I can get. I have proved it on penetration of big, tough hogs and plans game African animals with pass thrus on larger size bodies.

Adding 50-100 gr of insert and going from a 100 to a 125 gr BH will make a difference. May have to spine up but that is a plus as that helps with total arrow weight.

Build a couple of arrow and try it and see what you think.
                              Yessir no doubt. I shoot low poundage also. I am happy with the arrows penetration, pass throughs are the norm. I was wanting a little better accuracy down range. Not sure why I want this, as I have not taken a shot over 35yds at a deer. just wanting to check a box. In the past I was an awesome downrange shooter, but as I have gotten older my accuracy has suffered.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Y4h2HNF24PT_Ob https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Y4h2HNF24PT_Ob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X