Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-15-2021, 07:08 PM   #1
Ten Point

Default Truck paint question part 2

I will be painting my sons first truck tomorrow. This will also be my first time painting a vehicle. My question is, do I need to sand the primer before painting? Keep in mind this truck is maybe one step up from a lease truck. We have sanded it but I did not fill any dents or any body work. We just sanded rust and clear coat is sanded off. I will be using advantage 325 primer and picked the regular mix of 4 parts primer, 1 part activator and 1 part reducer. I will be using a purple cheap paint gun with a 1.4 nozzle. Other option on primer is the high build at 4 parts primer and 1 part activator. Thoughts on high build vs regular build? Thoughts on sanding before painting. If this helps we thought about bed lining the whole truck. Anything is better than what it was.

Thanks,
Monty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
9452772 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2021, 09:11 AM   #2
Ten Point

Pushed painting to tomorrow due to wind. Any painters out there willing to share a thought? If it matters I am using one stage paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
9452772 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2021, 09:13 AM   #3
KRB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens

Yes on sanding primer.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
KRB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2021, 09:31 AM   #4
Fish Slime
Four Point

The tech sheet for your primer will tell you if you need to sand prior to spraying top coat
Fish Slime is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2021, 10:17 AM   #5
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

For what your doing you should consider a sealer and then you can go wet on wet. Read the tech sheet
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2021, 01:25 PM   #6
DEREKG22
Six Point

Hunt In: Seeking

If u have the truck primed with a primer surfacer it will need to be sanded and sanded well before paint...p400 wet should do great if you are painting single stage paint and it's a solid color..make sure the edges are sanded as that's where it's gonna lift and peel if anywhere...make sure u understand it's gonna take more than one coat and u allow the proper flash times between coats....dont hammer the first one on either....if u get a primer sealer then u can spray that on and once it flashes put paint right over it without sanding if that's what the spec sheet reads it's capabilities are....but there is a window of time....to long and u will have to sand it again, too short and u will have problems with the top coat....you need to read the tech sheet for the materials you are sprayi g and follow them as they are designed...
DEREKG22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2021, 05:29 PM   #7
KGreene
Four Point

Hunt In: Hopkins County

Paint the garbage can first. I used to get in a hurry and make a mess. Get your gun right first.
KGreene is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2021, 06:11 PM   #8
bjsexpress
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

Anyone painting practice in Bryan/ College Station? My truck hood needs a new coat.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
bjsexpress is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top