Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-14-2021, 11:56 PM   #1
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Searching.
Default HVAC guys... is this price right?

Our system is 5 or 6 years old but twice a year they come and look at the unit. He took a pic and said we had "biological growth" that needed a UV light. Quoted us nearly $1,200.

That just seems insane. Is this an issue that needs to be fixed? If so, anyone do it for less?
Attached Images

ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 12:06 AM   #2
jdavidson
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Webb Co

Is this the same company that did the original installation ?

If so ... ask them what they did improperly that created this issue
jdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 12:07 AM   #3
Benno
Six Point

Iíll make that drive for $900.

I take PayPal or Venmo.
Benno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 12:12 AM   #4
ctom87
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavidson View Post
Is this the same company that did the original installation ?

If so ... ask them what they did improperly that created this issue
Yes sir sure is.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:23 AM   #5
StrayDog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

Run, run, run - someone is just trying to sell you something, and that’s stupid expensive for an old technology in my opinion. Plus the UV bulbs degrade over time but I’m sure they’ll gladly sell you a replacement every 12-18 months.

There’s several reasons for the “growth” - mainly due to humid conditions because either your unit isn’t sized properly, the unit isn’t functioning properly, or a few other things like excess infiltration (i.e., a drafty house). I’d be questioning if they really did check your system to see if everything was working correctly vs trying to sell you something.

That being said, I’m about to replace the unit in my house and I’m going with bi polar ionization. We’ve done some pre and post installation air quality testing in our business office and bi polar really does work - plus it’s way cheaper and has way less maintenance than UV. Plus our technicians install this stuff a lot and we have our ear to the ground since indoor air quality is becoming “a thing”(albeit we don’t do residential work.)

Last edited by StrayDog; 10-15-2021 at 12:25 AM.
StrayDog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 02:22 AM   #6
Zneely10
Spike

Hunt In: TEXAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayDog View Post
Run, run, run - someone is just trying to sell you something, and thatís stupid expensive for an old technology in my opinion. Plus the UV bulbs degrade over time but Iím sure theyíll gladly sell you a replacement every 12-18 months.

Thereís several reasons for the ďgrowthĒ - mainly due to humid conditions because either your unit isnít sized properly, the unit isnít functioning properly, or a few other things like excess infiltration (i.e., a drafty house). Iíd be questioning if they really did check your system to see if everything was working correctly vs trying to sell you something.

That being said, Iím about to replace the unit in my house and Iím going with bi polar ionization. Weíve done some pre and post installation air quality testing in our business office and bi polar really does work - plus itís way cheaper and has way less maintenance than UV. Plus our technicians install this stuff a lot and we have our ear to the ground since indoor air quality is becoming ďa thingĒ(albeit we donít do residential work.)

Exactly what this man said! Nailed it
Zneely10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 08:06 AM   #7
flinch
Four Point

So being the non HVAC person I am, why can't you just open the cover and spray it with a bleach/water mix or vinegar/water mix a couple times a year?
flinch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 08:31 AM   #8
ctom87
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinch View Post
So being the non HVAC person I am, why can't you just open the cover and spray it with a bleach/water mix or vinegar/water mix a couple times a year?
See that is what I was thinking...

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2021, 09:22 AM   #9
Passafist
Eight Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County

That is WAY WAY WAY overpriced you should be able to get it 400-600 range. I have one and run a dog daycare boarding out of my home, you can’t smell dogs and after cooking bacon you can’t smell it 30 minutes later! I love mine and it does make a huge difference in the smell of your home. Shop around you can get them cheaper
Passafist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 09:45 AM   #10
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passafist View Post
That is WAY WAY WAY overpriced you should be able to get it 400-600 range. I have one and run a dog daycare boarding out of my home, you canít smell dogs and after cooking bacon you canít smell it 30 minutes later! I love mine and it does make a huge difference in the smell of your home. Shop around you can get them cheaper
^^ This...
Johnny Dangerr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 09:54 AM   #11
Bryan2014
Six Point

Hunt In: Menard County, Victoria county

Depends what brand, if it’s a REME Halo then that’s on par. If it’s a blue tube or similar brand, that’s too high. I stopped selling the REME’s due to the crazy price.
Bryan2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 10:08 PM   #12
ctom87
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayDog View Post
Run, run, run - someone is just trying to sell you something, and thatís stupid expensive for an old technology in my opinion. Plus the UV bulbs degrade over time but Iím sure theyíll gladly sell you a replacement every 12-18 months.

Thereís several reasons for the ďgrowthĒ - mainly due to humid conditions because either your unit isnít sized properly, the unit isnít functioning properly, or a few other things like excess infiltration (i.e., a drafty house). Iíd be questioning if they really did check your system to see if everything was working correctly vs trying to sell you something.

That being said, Iím about to replace the unit in my house and Iím going with bi polar ionization. Weíve done some pre and post installation air quality testing in our business office and bi polar really does work - plus itís way cheaper and has way less maintenance than UV. Plus our technicians install this stuff a lot and we have our ear to the ground since indoor air quality is becoming ďa thingĒ(albeit we donít do residential work.)
Got any more info on the bi polar ionization? That sounds tempting.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:10 PM   #13
LWolken
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montgomery & Grimes

If you put any UV light in that blower compartment it will destroy the blower housing. UV light will deteriorate plastic drain pans and flex duct liners. Plasma Air might work. I like my Reme Halo but the bulbs are stupid expensive. Is this system zoned?
LWolken is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 11:19 PM   #14
Briar Friar
Pope & Young

Lets see the inside of your plenum.

Crap grows on anything where hot meets cold, vice versa, and moisture condensates. Bare painted metal…crap will grow as evidenced. Bleach it. Ozone the system. Im interested in this bipolarization hooplah. Im surprised no one has asked about a dehumidifier.

Last edited by Briar Friar; 10-15-2021 at 11:22 PM.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2021, 07:48 AM   #15
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Keep in mind that bipolar ionization does not kill mold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2021, 09:32 AM   #16
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Lets see the inside of your plenum.

Crap grows on anything where hot meets cold, vice versa, and moisture condensates. Bare painted metalÖcrap will grow as evidenced. Bleach it. Ozone the system. Im interested in this bipolarization hooplah. Im surprised no one has asked about a dehumidifier.
Last winter I noticed water drops on the glass surfaces here and there. I bought a small unit set it at 50% and was shocked how much water was coming out of the air. I moved it into a 600 s/q ft garage and bought a big one for the house.

I collect my condensers water and have to dump the dehumidifiers a couple of times a day. So far my biggest day was 22 gallons of water in a 24 hr period with everything set at 50%...
Johnny Dangerr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2021, 11:05 PM   #17
StrayDog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
Keep in mind that bipolar ionization does not kill mold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not going to argue this point because, I’ve seen “supposed” evidence that bipolar ionization does and does not “kill”, “sterilize”, or other such terms with regards to mold.

However, if you truly have mold, fungus, or whatever you want to call it it’s best to make sure you are addressing the humidity concerns in your system. This would take many paragraphs to explain but before you talk about UV, bipolar ionization, dry hydrogen peroxide, etc. you really need a competent HVAC person to look at your system and make sure 1. It’s been sized correctly for your application, 2. There aren’t any original installation problems, and 3. The unit is operating properly. Once that’s all good to go then, and only then, should you talk about adding some type of air purification device.

Dehumidifier units are just bandaids most of the time - spend your money properly sealing & insulating your home, properly sizing, installing, and maintaining your HVAC unit and 99.9999% of the time it’ll be money well spent.

There are several ways to install bipolar ionization units - I prefer to put them in a return air plenum upstream of your filters (assuming you have that option). Basically, how it works is it provides a very small ionizing charge of the air. The causes small particles of “dust and gunk” to form “larger clumps” that get captured in your filters you change every month.

I’m not saying bipolar ionization is the vanilla corn of air quality as there’s still a lot of data to be examined. However, dollars to a doughnut; it’s worth looking into after your unit has been checked out properly.

Last edited by StrayDog; 10-20-2021 at 11:11 PM.
StrayDog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2021, 11:13 PM   #18
ctom87
Ten Point

Great stuff here. Thank you!!