Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-08-2021, 09:02 PM   #1
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress
Default Still licking my wounds

This September I had the same elk tag that I had in 2017.. I had high expectations for the tag and I will be honest they were all blown away.. I had probably the best elk hunt I will ever have in my life. I had one of my best friends calling for me and a new best friend in camp.. We hunted our *** off.. We were on bulls every single day and heard more bugles than I could even begin to count.. On day 3 we called a bull in on a string but he circled a little bit down wind and gave me a shot at 65 yards. Between the bull ducking and rolling and my arrow hitting a small branch I hit the bull high in the front shoulder.. we got on the bull again later in the week with a group of cows, so I am happy to know that he will be just fine. On day 7 is where a little part of me died.. We had a good solid 300Ē 6 point bull come on a string to 24 yards broadside .. I had ranged a tree at 37 yards and one at 26 yards.. Somewhere in the bull coming in I got the two trees mixed up or thought that he was further than he was and shot him for 33 yards.. I know I misjudged him but my arrow once again hit way high over the lungs in the front shoulder.. It wasnt until reviewing the footage that we realized not only did I misjudge him but he also ducked my string 8-10 inches at 24 yards. Might as well have been a hill country whitetail.. Had he not ducked it would have been a dead bull. I haven't wounded a big game animal since a whitetail when I was 14 years old. To wound two bull elk on one of the best hunts of my life absolutely whipped my *** mentally.. I still havent picked up my bow.. It will happen soon.. I am gonna have to start shooting target archery again.. I definitely let multiple people down including myself and my pride is hurt. But time to get over it. Here is the first bull we saw of the trip. Iím glad this wasnít one of the two I wounded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTeLarkin08 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2021, 09:04 PM   #2
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

What bow are you shooting?
dgilbert is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2021, 09:26 PM   #3
RedBear78
Eight Point

Hunt In: Warren,Sourlake,Angelina forest

Keep at it my friend thanks for sharing.You got a good hunt in and learned a few things.I’ve had to learn a few things along the way too.I feel your frustration but you’ll get em next time.Heck if your getting that close maby I can hire you as a guide one day.
RedBear78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2021, 10:42 PM   #4
docmay
Pope & Young

I know the pain! It happens to every single one of us if we bowhunt long enough. The people that say they have never missed or never wounded an animal haven’t hunted that much!
docmay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2021, 10:53 PM   #5
Bisch
Pope & Young

Sorry to hear that JT! When crap like that happens to me, I feel the same way as you do now. I also think sometimes itís just God telling you it ainít your turn!

Better luck next time out!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2021, 11:08 PM   #6
ByronB
Pope & Young

You will be just fine......see your avatar. Just simple errors in the moment that can be corrected on your next trip. I am sure next time you will be posting pics of an elk.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2021, 09:36 AM   #7
RascalArms
Pope & Young

It happens. Put it behind ya, get back after it and move on brother.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2021, 09:45 AM   #8
lanceodom
Ten Point

Hunt In: LaSalle County

Oh man, I feel your pain. It happens. Let me tell you the next bull you drill will feel that much better.
lanceodom is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2021, 10:26 AM   #9
SabineHunter

Wow, two dead bulls, most likely. Real shame.
  Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2021, 01:12 PM   #10
ByronB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineHunter View Post
You may need to go back and re-read the original post. The first bull he hit high in the shoulder was alive and well several days later running around with his cows. At least that is what I gathered from the post when I read it.
Old 10-09-2021, 03:02 PM   #11
texan16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Freestone/Schleicher Counties

Man, that is a horrible series of events but the good thing is, it is in the past and you can move on. You can’t do anything to change it, except grab your bow and start shooting. Look forward to the opportunity for redemption and keep on keeping on.
texan16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2021, 03:13 PM   #12
db@100
Ten Point

I have very little experience in killing elk with a bow so I have a question. At yes 25 yards, wouldn't your 20, 30 and maybe 40 yard pins still be in the kill zone?
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2021, 03:51 PM   #13
slayr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Youíre a real piece of workÖ..You sound like a junior high school girl making comments about someone who grew their titties first.
slayr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2021, 04:25 PM   #14
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayr View Post
Youíre a real piece of workÖ..You sound like a junior high school girl making comments about someone who grew their titties first.
Thankfully iced tea easily cleans up from my phone...lmao.

To the op, it happens to the best to us. Like doc said if you haven't then you've likely not hunted much.

Get a little practice in then go chase a wise Ole snorting doe. One of the toughest quarry out there and should get your confidence back.

Thanks for sharing and best of luck to ya.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2021, 05:18 PM   #15
SabineHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronB View Post
You may need to go back and re-read the original post. The first bull he hit high in the shoulder was alive and well several days later running around with his cows. At least that is what I gathered from the post when I read it.
Well, if you got shot in the shoulder with an arrow, how long would it take for an untreated wound to get infected? Not in a couple of days.
It is just a shame. BTW, these kind of self revealing tragic stories are exactly the kind of ammo the antihunters look for and use against us. IMHO, if we shoot and don't recover, we don't need to blast it out on social media.
Old 10-09-2021, 05:49 PM   #16
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well, if you got shot in the shoulder with an arrow, how long would it take for an untreated wound to get infected? Not in a couple of days.
It is just a shame. BTW, these kind of self revealing tragic stories are exactly the kind of ammo the antihunters look for and use against us. IMHO, if we shoot and don't recover, we don't need to blast it out on social media.
Hell I donít think youíve posted a single **** animal yet.

Part of hunting is it doesnít always work out. The OP isnít exactly a rookie. And the elk shot high out of the vitals will probably live just fine.

I envy that tag brother. Get back to shooting. I had a couple shots shake me up real bad for awhile. Gotta keep after it.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2021, 06:51 PM   #17
ByronB
Pope & Young

Quote:
You really do not know what you are talking about. I have seen deer shot through and through survive. Some of them on video. I know of one buck that has been shot three times by an Archer over the last two seasons. Unfortunate.....yes. Deer is still alive today. Everything is a shame these days for negative people. That’s why I provided the OP a positive response in my first post to him. So a few people post their losses. So what. It’s not like everyone is doing it. There are a whole bunch of positives here.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:07 PM   #18
RiverRat00
Pope & Young

Quote:

Shut up man
RiverRat00 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2021, 09:51 PM   #19
docmay
Pope & Young

You have kids, right? Would you tell them to quit? Heck no!!!!! The time for remorse and self loathing is over. Get out and shoot your bow. Go kill something. It’s truly painful to go through this but there is nothing more deadly than a humble hunter!
docmay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2021, 09:51 PM   #20
jaker_cc
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County/ Out West

Quote:

Wow, youíre a piece of work. When is the last time you posted a kill on this site?? I donít remember you posting anything but stirring the pot comments and being a POS. The guy posts a recap of his hunt and his experiences while coming up short and your first reaction is to talk crap and bash his honesty. Hunting isnít perfect, it isnít a sure thing, it isnít guaranteed. Itís an imperfect venture where you do the best you can and live with the results.
jaker_cc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2021, 10:31 PM   #21
88 Bound
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

It definitely happens and once you get past it, you end up being a better hunter because of it. Don’t drag your feet in shooting your bow again. Start with a small win and go from there.
88 Bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2021, 10:32 PM   #22
88 Bound
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

88 Bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2021, 12:45 AM   #23
SabineHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronB View Post
You really do not know what you are talking about. I have seen deer shot through and through survive. Some of them on video. I know of one buck that has been shot three times by an Archer over the last two seasons. Unfortunate.....yes. Deer is still alive today. Everything is a shame these days for negative people. That’s why I provided the OP a positive response in my first post to him. So a few people post their losses. So what. It’s not like everyone is doing it. There are a whole bunch of positives here.
Listen, bro, my main point is we don't need to give the anti hunters more stories that they can quote from our own website. I mean, we'll never change their minds but they can use our owns words against us with the nonhunting crowd, which greatly outnumber us hunters. Reread the OP from a nonhunter perspective. The guy wounded and probably killed two mature bulls and surely that is a shame, you must agree with that.
Of course stuff happens and every arrow flung is not true, but we should not broadcast this to our foes. Talk with your hunting buddies, your wife, your shrink, whatever, but don't work for the anti hunters.
One more thing to think about. Since our society is becoming less and less outdoors type, which hunting sector do you think would be regulated out first, rifle, or archery? 20 years from now. Perception is Reality.

Last edited by SabineHunter; 10-10-2021 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-10-2021, 12:56 AM   #24
ByronB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Listen, bro, my main point is we don't need to give the anti hunters more stories that they can quote from our own website. I mean, we'll never change their minds but they can use our owns words against us with the nonhunting crowd, which greatly outnumber us hunters. Reread the OP from a nonhunter perspective. The guy wounded and probably killed two mature bulls and surely that is a shame, you must agree with that.
Of course stuff happens and every arrow flung is not true, but we should not broadcast this to our foes. Talk with your hunting buddies, your wife, your shrink, whatever, but don't work for the anti hunters.
One more thing to think about. Since our society is becoming less and less outdoors type, which hunting sector do you think would be regulated out first, rifle, or archery? 20 years from now. Perception is Reality.
I disagree that two bulls died according to his original post. I do understand your stance against stories of wounded animals and anti-hunting crowds. I do not think we should climb in a hole and keep everything bottled up inside. That is basically what they......the anti hunters and Leftist actually want.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:06 AM   #25
SabineHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Hell I donít think youíve posted a single **** animal yet.

Part of hunting is it doesnít always work out. The OP isnít exactly a rookie. And the elk shot high out of the vitals will probably live just fine.

I envy that tag brother. Get back to shooting. I had a couple shots shake me up real bad for awhile. Gotta keep after it.
Why you so worried about me posting kills? You mentioned this multiple times. Am I in your head that much? Where do I send the rent to live in your head, Red?
Old 10-10-2021, 01:40 AM   #26
Tom
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocky Mountains, Africa

Quote:
Why you so worried about me posting kills? You mentioned this multiple times. Am I in your head that much? Where do I send the rent to live in your head, Red?
haha....where are you from? are you really here?

You probably won't flap your gums to "red" when you are in front of him...haha

Last edited by Tom; 10-10-2021 at 01:45 AM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2021, 03:12 AM   #27
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Get your bow and shoot some targets! Misses happen, so is the life of an archer.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2021, 04:42 AM   #28
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
You in my head? Lmao. No. I think youíre a gigantic dumbass and I like talking **** to you. Does that pretty well sum it up? I think youíre a liar and have mental issues from what you post.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2021, 07:41 AM   #29
JakeM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie Co, Kimble Co, Liberty Co.

Quote:
Last year i saw a Whitetail get a broadhead broke off in the shoulder in october and get killed with a rifle 2 months later in December. The deer was fine and made a full recovery. Still had the broadhead and some arrow under the skin in the shoulder. Those Elk will most likely be just fine.

OP it happens to all of us. Ive made a bad shot on a WT, ducked my arrow and luckily i hit spine and he died quick but it could have been worse.

Keep your head up and keep at it.
JakeM is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2021, 12:21 AM   #30
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Good lord lol.. I hadnt checked this thread since like post #8.. It got a little rough.. Update I still havent shot my bow since wounding the second bull. That said I will probably be ordering a new bow in the next week or so and I am going to start shooting INDOOR>> I ****ING Hate indoor.. Time to put in the work.. Also.. I am 100% just trying to get my 7 year old twins whitetail this year so not real worried about deer.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:23 AM   #31
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by db@100 View Post
I have very little experience in killing elk with a bow so I have a question. At yes 25 yards, wouldn't your 20, 30 and maybe 40 yard pins still be in the kill zone?
I was shooting a 520 ish grain arrow.. I was maybe getting 270fps.. With my peep height, arrow speed and DL I had a little bit of pin gap.. We went back and reviewed the footage and had the bull not ducked he would have been dead.. When one drops 10-12" like a hill country whitetail there isnt much you can do
Old 10-16-2021, 10:31 AM   #32
db@100
Ten Point

I wasn't thinking about him dropping 10"-12". I'll have to try to remember that.
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top