No announcement yet.

Who Needs Argentina Dove When You’ve Got Arkansas Snow Geese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m trying to imagine the weight of those shotguns with a fully loaded tube.

Comment

Prison farm

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
      Yep I noticed. They’re dumping 15 -20 birds per volley. Reminds me of Brazoria county in the early 70s. Geese by the millions. No more farming now on the coast.
      Don’t know if you ever hunted at Clements prison form back then but growing up in the 80s and even 90s goose hunting was great down there

Comment

That looks like great fun! Amazing!

Comment

At that point it’s like shooting a bunch of seagulls

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
            Are you cousins with Tony or one of the other owners? (Or maybe Tony is just the face of the operation due to some notoriety?)

Me and some buds are looking at doing a hunt up there this year. Seems like a neat operation
            Yes, they are with Tony. They are Aaron and IRA McCauley, both VMDs. I’m not sure if Ira or Aaron guide anymore, but hell of nice guys to be around. Aaron had the state record bow kill for many years In MO.

Also, they have incredibly large mallard populations on their farms for regular season hunting. If you are interested in booking, cease the moment. They have regular customers so it may fill up fast.

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
              Don’t know if you ever hunted at Clements prison form back then but growing up in the 80s and even 90s goose hunting was great down there
              You can drive by there all winter now and not see a goose. It’s a dang shame actually.

Comment

I grew up in Jones Creek in the 70s-80s and hunted, fished and ran trap lines on Clemens Unit. Kids with shotguns hunting with prisoner trustees. They were our decoy setters and bird boys. Good times.

Comment

I’m trying to imagine the weight of those shotguns with a fully loaded tube.
                  I’m trying to imagine what the hell you do with that many birds that taste like spoiled liver !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    I’m trying to imagine what the hell you do with that many birds that taste like spoiled liver !
                    Feed the dogs for a year

Comment

Well they did say that they are donated to hunters for the hungry programs.

Comment

Yep I noticed. They’re dumping 15 -20 birds per volley. Reminds me of Brazoria county in the early 70s. Geese by the millions. No more farming now on the coast.
                        Same thing around Winnie, remember having giant flocks flying over east chambers high school when we were in class on foggy mornings. Remember one time killing 50 geese before a high school basketball game, bed of the truck was full we were handing geese out to people after the game lol. That was around 2001, pretty much the end of an era around that time, down hill ever since.

Comment

Tamales!

Comment

Yepp. And Ducks Unlimited ruined waterfowl hunting for the coastal states with all the heated ponds and habitat they built in Missouri, Arkansas, and Oklahoma. They don’t make it that far south anymore.
                            I remember being able to shoot like that in Louisiana as a kid. I don’t even bother anymore for one or two birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                              You can drive by there all winter now and not see a goose. It’s a dang shame actually.
                              I grew up in Alvin in the 70’s and 80’s and we always had geese all over. Hunted near Lane City and then Markham in the late 80’s and it was loaded with birds. Now living in Ft. Bend county you don’t even hear geese at all much less see them anywhere. We’ve lost most of the agricultural and I also think the majority of the geese just don’t make down this far anymore. Texas used to be the #1 rice producer, now it maybe AR or CA, what a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                                I grew up in Alvin in the 70’s and 80’s and we always had geese all over. Hunted near Lane City and then Markham in the late 80’s and it was loaded with birds. Now living in Ft. Bend county you don’t even hear geese at all much less see them anywhere. We’ve lost most of the agricultural and I also think the majority of the geese just don’t make down this far anymore. Texas used to be the #1 rice producer, now it maybe AR or CA, what a shame.
                                Improvements in harvesting efficiency (modern combines leave very little food in the fields), less agriculture as a whole, more pavement and homes all along the coast... I seriously doubt it has anything to do with heated ponds and other habitat development projects in the midwest. You couldn't artificially build or restore enough habitat in the central flyway to keep millions of birds from migrating south, if there were food and habitat for them in the Texas coastal prairies. Also the privatization of water rights in Texas has made it very expensive to farm rice, and no farmer is going to spend money they will never recover to flood fields just to retain waterfowl. I don't know whether or not water is such a costly commodity in Arkansas.

Comment

Working...
                                X