Laguna Atascosa 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tiburon1 View Post
    Actually, RGV Hunter is 100% correct on this issue. Unit 4 is not the only Unit they are doing heli hunts on. They have been conducting heli hunts as far south as Bahia Grande Unit. The draw hunts are simply not as effective as heli hunts as per comments from refuge officials. Bottom line, they do not want anything other than native wildlife on the refuge which is a losing battle for them as the refuge is surrounded by private land that does not take the same position as the US government. The El Sauz ranch, borders unit 4 to the north, is over 50,000 acres of prime breading ground for nilgai and its hunters are limited to a strict quota. The same for Stormy Stone's land that is just west of Unit 4 and the Funk properties. Animals wondering into Unit 4 only have to cross the arroyo and into Units 3 & 5 and they do so often.

Bottom line, it's a "take what you can get" situation because the helicopter shooters are very effective. I doubt they would shoot a calf but they would whack the mother as soon as she offered a clear shot and leave the calf (calves: nilgai typically drop twins) on their own.
    Tiburon, just let it go. I guess it is ethical to shoot nilgai from a helicopter and even shoot the cows and let the calves fend for themselves. That is not as bad (sarcasism).

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
      Tiburon, just let it go. I guess it is ethical to shoot nilgai from a helicopter and even shoot the cows and let the calves fend for themselves. That is not as bad (sarcasism).

I don’t believe I said that was ethical to do so nor did I say I agree with the heli hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Apparently there are hunters, "hunters", and now... uppity hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by RibcageX View Post
          Apparently there are hunters, "hunters", and now... uppity hunters.
          [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Comment

Originally posted by RichExotics10 View Post
            I don’t believe I said that was ethical to do so nor did I say I agree with the heli hunts.

I think you are contradicting yourself. Anyway, my post was a reply about being allowed to field dress an animal in the field not to say I shoot nilgai calves. How about we move on and lets talk about more informative topics to help each other out. Specially for the new guy that has never hunted the Atascosa.

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
              I think you are contradicting yourself. Anyway, my post was a reply about being allowed to field dress an animal in the field not to say I shoot nilgai calves. How about we move on and lets talk about more informative topics to help each other out. Specially for the new guy that has never hunted the Atascosa.

I’m fine with moving on but I wasn’t contradicting myself. I’ve been involved in eradication of invasive species through heli hunts. I didn’t say if I agreed or disagree with them. I am speaking from a hunting standpoint and don’t find it ethical. I’m glad you were able to harvest something. Nov 4th can’t come soon enough!

Comment

Originally posted by RichExotics10 View Post
                I am talking about on the Laguna Atascosa particularly and not other refuges. Well of course the draw hunts aren’t as effective. I’ve been involved in the heli hunts and know exactly what they are capable of.

Bottom line it’s an ethics thing for me and I’m not going to steer away from that. I had the opportunity last year to harvest two calves but I passed due to there is nothing I would gain from doing so. They are easy pickings and that’s why some “hunters” are attracted to them.

Bahia Grande is part of Laguna Atascosas. Virtually all of the units (including Units 4 and Bahia Grande among many others) are subjected to the heli hunts.

Comment

Well sorry for the troubles i caused. Newb here.

Good news gonna drive down and check out Laguna Atascosa weekend and 2 of my gamer kids agreed to come along. Had to bribe them with Delias…lol

Controversial subject of the day
                  Delia’s chicken in green sauce is the best Tamale …. ever!

Comment

Originally posted by piercebronkite View Post
                    Lol, harvest a calf? I seriously disagree and I certainly wouldn't post it online, but thats just me. Teach their own.

I have harvested mature bulls and mature cows and we can't taste the difference.

Hey man? Why are passing judgement? Nobody cares if you don’t want to shoot a calf, but why imply that another hunter is doing anything wrong or immoral because they don’t subscribe to your personal belief system? Taking a calf is perfectly within the rules. There is zero shame in that. And they eat well and are much easier to pack out. A dead Nilgai is a dead Nilgai. If you don’t have the stomach to shoot a calf no one is saying you have to, but why throw shade on someone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
                      Hey man? Why are passing judgement? Nobody cares if you don’t want to shoot a calf, but why imply that another hunter is doing anything wrong or immoral because they don’t subscribe to your personal belief system? Taking a calf is perfectly within the rules. There is zero shame in that. And they eat well and are much easier to pack out. A dead Nilgai is a dead Nilgai. If you don’t have the stomach to shoot a calf no one is saying you have to, but why throw shade on someone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      As I said before, to each their own.

Comment

Alright guys, lets get this thread back on track. Can we all agree to let it die and move on?

Newbies like myself have a lot a learning yet to do

Comment

Anyone ever use a stick and pick to put a trail camera out there. Thinking of using the stick and pick to avoid strapping anything to trees

Comment

If I pull a small box (cargo) trailer to carry 3 peoples stuff, cart, coolers etc.... can I leave it in the parking lot of the park entrance while we hunt? I wouldn't want to leave it at the motel and I don't think there would be room to turn around on the road east of the hunt area. Or is there room somewhere to turn around?

Comment

Turning around could be dicey. You may be able to pull up and unload what you need and drop the trailer there. You could later drive up to a spot where you could back it in to a cross "road" to turn around. I'd call Sergio and ask him. At minimum, I would think you could park it in the parking area just before the main road headed north.

Comment

Originally posted by RibcageX View Post
                                If I pull a small box (cargo) trailer to carry 3 peoples stuff, cart, coolers etc.... can I leave it in the parking lot of the park entrance while we hunt? I wouldn't want to leave it at the motel and I don't think there would be room to turn around on the road east of the hunt area. Or is there room somewhere to turn around?

I think you should be fine. If you plan on hunting at the very end of the road I know before the tree line starts there is a side road. Could park right there in order to back in and turn around.

Comment

Working...
                                X