X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have that bucks twin in mexico, but he's 5.5

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
      Those short 2s are a characteristic from Eagle Pass Across the River down to Zapata. How do you get rid of them?

The first 160 I ever killed in Mexico had short 2s?
      True story. We see it on our place near EP quite often

Comment

Originally posted by txheartshot View Post
        This. Not saying he’s not a nice deer, but after several years of pouring the feed to him (and he is a protein hog) and considering the country we hunt, we expected more out of him. He probably hasn’t gained more than 15” in the last 3 years combined. He may get a pass one more year to see if he pops. Our ranch considers anything 6+ and 145+ to be a trophy, but he’s right on the cusp. I haven’t broken the 150” mark yet, but the area has potential for true giants. Not sure how long I want to feed a 140.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I’m in Webb also and it seems like most of our deer this year made a minimal jump or actually regressed a bit.

Comment

Keep feeding him. He may blow up at 10 after he slows down some.

Comment

Now if the biologist would sign off on Him as a management deer.... POW!

Comment

This. Not saying he’s not a nice deer, but after several years of pouring the feed to him (and he is a protein hog) and considering the country we hunt, we expected more out of him. He probably hasn’t gained more than 15” in the last 3 years combined. He may get a pass one more year to see if he pops. Our ranch considers anything 6+ and 145+ to be a trophy, but he’s right on the cusp. I haven’t broken the 150” mark yet, but the area has potential for true giants. Not sure how long I want to feed a 140.

Keep feeding him. He is not hurting your deer herd one bit by being there and there is always a chance a deer like that could blow up late in life. If he is 6, he’s just getting started. We are in Freer, and our deer seem to “pop” at 8+.

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
                Keep feeding him. He is not hurting your deer herd one bit by being there and there is always a chance a deer like that could blow up late in life. If he is 6, he’s just getting started. We are in Freer, and our deer seem to “pop” at 8+.
                I have seen this several times. A deer msy back slide slightly in his peak rutting years only to blow up at 8,9, even 10

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  I have seen this several times. A deer msy back slide slightly in his peak rutting years only to blow up at 8,9, even 10

He definitely ruts pretty hard every year. It’s just surprising that he hasn’t really changed much in 4 years. He had double split brows 3 years ago.

Comment

Another Webb county buck “Dagger”

This was Dagger 3 years ago. How old does he look here? We thought he was 2-3 then.

Last edited by txheartshot; 10-06-2021, 08:38 PM.

Comment

This was Dagger 4 years ago. How old does he look here? We thought he was 2-3 then.

I think he's 3 there, a little too thick with some brisket makes me think 3 instead of 2.

Comment

Screen shots from some video I took of him in ‘19, right after I shot his buddy “Crook”.

Comment

His right side from this past spring.

Comment

I think he was 3 in 2018.

Comment

I'm going with 6-7 and right at 150

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X