Arrow noise in flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow noise in flight

Was messing around in the back yard this evening getting a few shots in before I make it to the blind in the morning.

Decided to shoot my practice broadhead imto thr tsrget a few times, both the single bevel Kudu point and the 3 blade non-vented VAP

I have to say, the 3 blade head is noticeably noisier in flight. The 2 blade is as quiet As my field point.

Was gonna hunt with the 3 blades but I’m gonna pass as I think the sound is noticeable enough to alert an animal.

What is the general consensus?

Not doubting your experience but I have always understood the conventional wisdom to be that a vented 3 blade (like a Woodsman) tended to whistle while a non vented 3 blade was as quiet as a 2 blade. Hmm….

Comment

All from the same arrow? Same fletchings? Because shield cut is generally louder than parabolic. Taller, longer, more helical?
      I can tell you it I've stood down range and heard the differences an it interesting.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        All from the same arrow? Same fletchings? Because shield cut is generally louder than parabolic. Taller, longer, more helical?
        I can tell you it I've stood down range and heard the differences an it interesting.

Identical arrows. One with a 3 blade one with a 2 blade.

Made my son come out and check to make sure I wasn’t imagining it and he confirmed it.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
          Identical arrows. One with a 3 blade one with a 2 blade.

Made my son come out and check to make sure I wasn’t imagining it and he confirmed it.
          That's interesting information.
          Not that I'm a three blade fan, I'm not, but good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
            Was gonna hunt with the 3 blades but I’m gonna pass as I think the sound is noticeable enough to alert an animal.

What is the general consensus?
            Well, Snuffers are a giant, vented and loud three blade that have been responsible for the death of thousands of whitetail deer from stick bows. So there's plenty of anecdotal evidence that it doesn't really matter as much as we'd think.

From a math perspective, the speed of sound is so much faster than your arrow that the deer is going to hear your bow first, before the arrow is even half way there. Will the extra whistling sound make any difference in how the deer reacts to your bow?

It might depend if you're hunting over corn or not. I've found deer are far more twitchy when they're eating at a feed pile, personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
              Well, Snuffers are a giant, vented and loud three blade that have been responsible for the death of thousands of whitetail deer from stick bows. So there's plenty of anecdotal evidence that it doesn't really matter as much as we'd think.

From a math perspective, the speed of sound is so much faster than your arrow that the deer is going to hear your bow first, before the arrow is even half way there. Will the extra whistling sound make any difference in how the deer reacts to your bow?

It might depend if you're hunting over corn or not. I've found deer are far more twitchy when they're eating at a feed pile, personally.
              Deer are generally more nervous when feeding because it’s an ambush spot for predators. We arnt the only creatures that hunt bait piles.

I’m not saying it won’t work I’m just noting that the 3 blade nom vented head noticeably whistles in flight vs. the two blade kudu point which is as lous as the field point.

Comment

For 20 years I shot the 1-1/2 snuffer with 5-1/2" banana cut feathers. I killed a train car full of critters with them. I called it the hiss of death

Comment

And they look cool too.

Comment

Working...
                  X