Where To Go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where To Go?

The heat just gets to me. I know it's not hot yet, but, it will be before long. I set up a gym in our garage over the winter and it has been great. Today, I could not finish my workout. I was pouring sweat, shirt was soaked, and I got lite headed and nauseous. I overheated. A couple years ago I had a heat stroke, and I just can't handle it anymore.

With that said, our youngest son graduates high school in 4 years. My wife and I have discussed moving away from the Houston area, away from the heat and humidity. Away from the constant construction and traffic. The problem is, we don't know where we want to go. I love the cold, but she moved away from northern PA as soon as she graduated so she could be away from the cold.

So the question is, where would you go. Someplace not too cold. Not humid. Small(er) town living. My wife is a retired school teacher, I am in healthcare, so jobs are not a concern.

Originally posted by randtx View Post
    The heat just gets to me. I know it's not hot yet, but, it will be before long. I set up a gym in our garage over the winter and it has been great. Today, I could not finish my workout. I was pouring sweat, shirt was soaked, and I got lite headed and nauseous. I overheated. A couple years ago I had a heat stroke, and I just can't handle it anymore.

With that said, our youngest son graduates high school in 4 years. My wife and I have discussed moving away from the Houston area, away from the heat and humidity. Away from the constant construction and traffic. The problem is, we don't know where we want to go. I love the cold, but she moved away from northern PA as soon as she graduated so she could be away from the cold.

So the question is, where would you go. Someplace not too cold. Not humid. Small(er) town living. My wife is a retired school teacher, I am in healthcare, so jobs are not a concern.

I moved from the Mississippi Delta to central Kansas and never looked back. Great schools, low crime, lots of jobs, great hospitals. Gets hot, but low humidity. Winters are not too bad usually. The worst thing is the wind.

Oh yeah...pretty big deer up here too.

Comment

I hear you. Sometimes, on a hot summer day, I think I smell bacon cooking. But it’s just my fat *** sweating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

An hour South of Tulsa and one hour east of Oklahoma City

Comment

Big bend region

Comment

Double insulated garage door, insulation in the attic & a mini-split...should have done it many years ago.

Comment

I hear ya. I hated to leave the Wet Mountains that were west of Pueblo Colorado. I will tell you this though, the first snow we got was 10”. I decided to shovel the upstairs deck off. It was 21 degrees out and I’m in blue jeans and a t shirt. We were a mile closer to the sun and you could sure feel it. But we didn’t miss the mosquitos, humidity, hurricanes, and heat that goes on forever here in Katy. So, Colorado is beautiful, always something to do, but it’s kinda messed up as well with druggies and the homeless.
              A dentist buddy of mine wants to go back to South Dakota. He said while it got cold that it didn’t stay that way a long time. It would snow, warm up etc etc.
              Find a place with four seasons and you’ll probably be ok.

Comment

Kansas. Four actual seasons. Still gets hot but only for a month or two. And you get to have snow.

Comment

Kentucky, Tennessee, either Carolinas or Virginia.

Comment

If today was hot for you, you definitely need to get somewhere cooler. I'm no help on where to go from experience but the smokies has always looked good to me.

Comment

Stop Working out in the garage. Or add an AC.
                      Or Get a gym membership

Comment

Get a barrel fan for your garage, that is what I use.

Maybe look at New Mexico, beautiful place.

Comment

Move to Austin

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                            I hear you. Sometimes, on a hot summer day, I think I smell bacon cooking. But it’s just my fat *** sweating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Holy crap, that's funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                              I hear ya. I hated to leave the Wet Mountains that were west of Pueblo Colorado. I will tell you this though, the first snow we got was 10”. I decided to shovel the upstairs deck off. It was 21 degrees out and I’m in blue jeans and a t shirt. We were a mile closer to the sun and you could sure feel it. But we didn’t miss the mosquitos, humidity, hurricanes, and heat that goes on forever here in Katy. So, Colorado is beautiful, always something to do, but it’s kinda messed up as well with druggies and the homeless.
                              A dentist buddy of mine wants to go back to South Dakota. He said while it got cold that it didn’t stay that way a long time. It would snow, warm up etc etc.
                              Find a place with four seasons and you’ll probably be ok.
                              I spent a year in Colorado in the 90's when I was in the Army. Loved it there. But the cost of living and the politics rule this out.

Comment

Working...
                              X