Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone else heard of anything like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone else heard of anything like this?

A co-worker of mine had a heart attack in April of 2019. he came back to work around Christmas 2020. i have heard him tell his story enough that i can probably tell it better than him.

I can't say whether he is telling the truth but here is the part of the story that i find hard to believe: he went home and his wife took him to local hospital. They say he is having a heart attack and to take him to Tyler. He gets there to ER. They say yes, he is having a heart attack and put him in waiting room for 1.5hrs. Then they see him and say they will do surgery the next day. He has quadruple by-pass done.

i can't believe a ER, especially one know for it's heart hospital, would put a patient having a heart attack in the waiting room for 1.5hrs before seeing him.

i went to same place when i thought i was having one and as soon as my wife mentioned possible heart attack, they had me in a room working on me RIGHT THEN(turns out mine was afib).

He says it was because he didn't have insurance....i didn't either

just seems strange to me. have y'all ever heard of something like this? He is trying to sue the hospital but can't find a lawyer to take the case....

Yep, the same thing happened to me. In August 2017 I had a heart attack. My wife drove me to the hospital and they admitted me in the emergency room. Instead of doing the operation that night the doctor wanted me relaxed. So they gave me a BUNCH of drugs and did not do the surgery until about 10 o’clock the next day. It turned out that the left side of my heart was not getting blood. I ended up with a quadruple bypass.

Comment

Yep. I had blood clots in my lungs and sat in er about 15 minutes until the back room found out about the blood clots and then you should have seem them react. The lady at the front desk should have some kind of training to know when something is serious. The older I get the less I am surprised anymore.

Comment

Been through two of them, so I kinda know what goes on. First one I was like so many others in that I was in denial. Ambulance ride at 4:00 AM to the emergency room till 7:30 stabilized getting lab workup done. ER doc comes in and tells me the news and I get another ambulance ride to ETMC where I was admitted and given a room waiting on getting surgery scheduled. Still being monitored, everything's good. Cardiologist shows up and I'm in surgery at 6:45PM. Went through recovery and was back in my room at 10:30.
        Second was similar except for the time of day and 9 yrs. later, about the same time Covid was getting started. Wife took me to the hospital to ER. They wouldn't let her in with me. Stabilized and shipped off to Tyler again. Little longer in recovery getting heart rate and O2 levels to stabilize. They got me up the next day to start walking, (knew this was coming). I walked several times covering the entire floor to find that there weren't but 4 other patients on the floor. This was when hospitals were over run with patients everywhere.
        Two days later' I was discharged and was never so glad to see my wife again.
        I did have the best care you could ask for. Night nurse kept my phone charged and would bring snacks.

I would be more likely to go along with your friend being in the ER than the waiting rooms with heart attack symptoms.

Comment

I think it just depends on the hospital. While they should all have a chest pain precedence, I'm not sure that all of them practice it. I've seen people mention shortness of breath and be scooped up into a wheel chair and were gone in under 60 seconds.

I walked into the ER with a heart rate of 280 and I sat there for a minute (they probably thought I was exaggerating because of my age, 26.) Then they walked me to the back, leisurely hooked up the monitors, then everything changed when they saw how bad into aFib I was. I was cardioverted within 5 mins of them hooking me up. Stupid ticker still isn't ticking correctly.

Comment

My wife is an ER nurse for 16 years. She just read these threads and said it was all b s. A hospital doesn’t tell you to go somewhere else if your having a heart attack. That’s a violation of EMTLA. Emergency Medical Transfer and Labor Act.

Comment

For Medicare hospitals and Critical Access Hospitals (CAH): Learn about EMTALA and find CMS interpretive guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
                A co-worker of mine had a heart attack in April of 2019. he came back to work around Christmas 2020. i have heard him tell his story enough that i can probably tell it better than him.

I can't say whether he is telling the truth but here is the part of the story that i find hard to believe: he went home and his wife took him to local hospital. They say he is having a heart attack and to take him to Tyler. He gets there to ER. They say yes, he is having a heart attack and put him in waiting room for 1.5hrs. Then they see him and say they will do surgery the next day. He has quadruple by-pass done.

i can't believe a ER, especially one know for it's heart hospital, would put a patient having a heart attack in the waiting room for 1.5hrs before seeing him.

i went to same place when i thought i was having one and as soon as my wife mentioned possible heart attack, they had me in a room working on me RIGHT THEN(turns out mine was afib).

just seems strange to me. have y'all ever heard of something like this? He is trying to sue the hospital but can't find a lawyer to take the case....
                Even if true, which likely is not, what are his damages?

Comment

I’ll tell you what the real scam is in another thread…

But for this thread’s purpose I guess I was lucky. I was hauled to a local hospital(not the one my wife requested). They started working on me right out of the ambulance. About 5 minutes in, they throw me in another ambulance. Cath lab was full at this hospital. 30 minutes later, I’m in ft. Worth (started in Arlington). Don’t remember time frame after arrival because pain was immense. Coulda been 5 minutes. Coulda been 20. But what seemed really quickly, I was laying on a cath table getting stents.

There was no talk of insurance. Only medical chatter and “you’re pain level is about to be a 10!” They weren’t lying!

Hint. The real scam is ambulance operators.

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post

QUESTIONS:

1) He didn't come back to work for 8 months??? Sounds like he was milking it for time off!

2) I call BS on letting him sit in the waiting room for 1.5 hours without checking on him!

3) Why is trying to sue the hospital? Does he have lingering issues because he sat in the waiting room?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                      I’ll tell you what the real scam is in another thread…

But for this thread’s purpose I guess I was lucky. I was hauled to a local hospital(not the one my wife requested). They started working on me right out of the ambulance. About 5 minutes in, they throw me in another ambulance. Cath lab was full at this hospital. 30 minutes later, I’m in ft. Worth (started in Arlington). Don’t remember time frame after arrival because pain was immense. Coulda been 5 minutes. Coulda been 20. But what seemed really quickly, I was laying on a cath table getting stents.

There was no talk of insurance. Only medical chatter and “you’re pain level is about to be a 10!” They weren’t lying!

Hint. The real scam is ambulance operators.
                      Air ambulance might be

2 buddies had heart attacks. They both got a helicopter ride.
                      One said his cost $54,000 the other said his was $63,000

When we go to God by prayer, the devil knows we go to fetch strength against him, and therefore he opposeth us all he can.

R. Sibbes

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                        Air ambulance might be

When we go to God by prayer, the devil knows we go to fetch strength against him, and therefore he opposeth us all he can.

R. Sibbes
                        Yes that’s high. But…

I’m not talking about what they charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                          My wife is an ER nurse for 16 years. She just read these threads and said it was all b s. A hospital doesn’t tell you to go somewhere else if your having a heart attack. That’s a violation of EMTLA. Emergency Medical Transfer and Labor Act.

The hospital that I went initially didn't tell me to go anywhere. I was stabilized then transferred via ambulance while being monitored. And it wasn't an issue of payment or insurance. I guess we are a bit more rural than y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFoot View Post
                            I think it just depends on the hospital. While they should all have a chest pain precedence, I'm not sure that all of them practice it. I've seen people mention shortness of breath and be scooped up into a wheel chair and were gone in under 60 seconds.

I walked into the ER with a heart rate of 280 and I sat there for a minute (they probably thought I was exaggerating because of my age, 26.) Then they walked me to the back, leisurely hooked up the monitors, then everything changed when they saw how bad into aFib I was. I was cardioverted within 5 mins of them hooking me up. Stupid ticker still isn't ticking correctly.
                            This happened to me.

I had the hiccups for about a week. Friday afternoon about 4:30 pm it got so I couldn't recover my breath sometimes. I headed towards doctors office and noticed the time. I went to ER and told them "I've had hiccups for a week and it's affecting my breathing. I can't catch my breath sometimes". Registrar told doctors I had shortness of breath.
                            In about 5 minutes, I was on the electrocardiogram.

Finally, after about 3 hours someone realized I wasn't having a heart attack. Although, thinking of the bill for nothing pret near gave me one.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                              Air ambulance might be

R. Sibbes
                              My wife's life flight bill was $63k. Insurance paid $7k of it. Our balance was $56k. We settled with them at $4700.

Comment

Working...
                              X