If you have two different bows of the same draw weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have two different bows of the same draw weight

Would it stand to reason they would shoot the same arrow?

I have a 55# Bear Grizzly that at my draw length is probably 47-48#. I shoot a 500 spine full length black eagle instinct, 100 grain outsert and a 150 point. Throws these arrows like darts.

I shoot them from my Super Kodiak, also 55# and they come off the shelf noticeably knock high (but still fly decent side to side)

What is the consensus here?

* I have been shooting 400 spine instincts with a 125 grain point from the super K and do not have the knock high issue, but arrow flight imo could be better so I’m gonna experiment with the two arrows and the two different tip weights to see which one flys the best. The knock high issue is only with the 500 spine arrows I have for the Grizzly ) *
    Last edited by txtrophy85; 07-21-2022, 08:55 PM.

Nock height controls whether your arrow in flying nock up or down. Not spine. Try adjusting that first.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes it stands to reason. My way of thinking also. Maybe mess with brace height or raise your rest/shelf a bit?

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        Nock height controls whether your arrow in flying nock up or down. Not spine. Try adjusting that first.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk
        This …but might throw your 400s out of tune?

Comment

If you have a short draw length and one of the bows is longer than the other, no. The longer bows limb curves will not unfold as much as the short bow. Performance will be muted. I learned that lesson when I bought a Covert Hunter that was built for a 31" draw length. I couldn't get those hooks opened up enough to feel that zero stack at the end of the draw that the newer Borders are known for.

In your situation, put both bows on a draw board and plot the draw force curve to get a better idea if they both are the same weight at your draw length. Another factor can be the amount of working limb as a percentage of total bow length. Think long riser/short limb vs short riser/long limb.
          Last edited by 60 Deluxe; 07-22-2022, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Deluxe 60 is correct above. A simple thing to try, though, could be to glue a piece of toothpick under the shelf material (perpendicular to arrow) to prevent excess shelf contact by the arrow.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Comment

I have four different model recurves, all 58 inchers, and all will shoot the same arrow perfectly.

I think your issue may be due to the Grizzly's 58" vs the Super Kodiak's 60" as 60 Deluxe explained.

Comment

You also may want to verify On a scale that the draw weights of the two bows are the same at your DL. I’ve seen lots of bows be off by a couple pounds of marked weight.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Nock height or limb tiller difference.

Comment

Originally posted by BernieH View Post
                    I have four different model recurves, all 58 inchers, and all will shoot the same arrow perfectly.

I think your issue may be due to the Grizzly's 58" vs the Super Kodiak's 60" as 60 Deluxe explained.
                    Never thought of that!

So would first thing to be to adjust the knock down a bit to accommodate the 500 spine arrows and start with that?

What I’m thinking is the 400 may be a tad stiff. I’m gonna experiment today with moving the knock height to try and shoot the Grizzly arrows, and putting a 125 point on the Grizzly arrow and a 150 grain point on the 400’s.
                    Last edited by txtrophy85; 07-22-2022, 08:20 AM.

Comment

To get those .400’s to tune correctly, you are gonna need somewhere in the neighborhood of 225-275gr up front (more if they have been cut much from full length).

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                        To get those .400’s to tune correctly, you are gonna need somewhere in the neighborhood of 225-275gr up front (more if they have been cut much from full length).

Bisch

I've got the 100 grain collar and a 125 grain head, so that should get me in the ball park correct?

i just switched tip weights between the two arrows....the 400's would fishtail a bit ( every 5th arrow i was able to get it to fly perfect) and the 500's with the 125 grain would still come off knock up.

thinking I'm gonna move the knock point lower to see how that affects things and try and shoot the 500's with 150 grain heads
                        Last edited by txtrophy85; 07-22-2022, 12:15 PM.

Comment

I think more up front weight.

My shafts are Victory VAP 400's with 135grain Ethics Archery collar/inserts and 200 grain points. Bisch is on the right track.

Comment

Update:

So….I moved the knock point up. Still shooting knock high (bouncing off the shelf I’m guessing) so I moved it higher and higher again. Got frustrated. Was about to quit for the day then decided “ what the hell?” And knocked the arrow ABOVE the brass knock, drew back and released. Perfect arrow flight. Repeated it about a dozen times and got good arrow flight with the 500’s with both the 125 heads and the 150 heads…I’m thinking the arrow flight may be a tad better with the 150’s but I’m gonna shoot more this evening to be sure

One thing I’m wondering: why weren’t the 400’s shooting knock high when the 500’s were?

Comment

Played around with the 500’s this evening. They shot almost identical with either the 125 or the 150 grain point….settled on using the 150’s but wouldn’t hesitate to shoot 125 grain broadhead as they all were hitting to the same POI

Amazing now that I have the 500’s shooting, truly how bad the flight was with the 400 spine arrows

Comment

Working...
                              X