.22 Ammo Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.22 Ammo Question

For just plinking or small game, (under 75 yards), do you think there is a big difference in .22 ammo,

What’s your go to 32 or 40 grain?

About the only ones I find that shoot different are the CCI mine mags, Stingers and Aguilar. All the rest are about the same, as long are they are all high velocity.

Comment

Do they still make CCI Stingers?

Comment

In stopping power? For sure. I've always liked CCI Stingers,Velocitors and Quickshocks (now called Segmented bullets). For bulk ammo Federal hollowpoints or the Remington golden bullets. I've never been a big fan of round nose bullets just hollowpoints.

Comment

shoot whatever your gun likes...that's the thing with rimfire. One gun will love to shoot what someone else says is crap ammo.

I keep most of my 22lr hunting to 50 & under because I prefer subsonic / target ammo for precision shots...I'll pull the 22mag out if I need to stretch it.

Comment

For plinking I'll grab whatever is on sale. I have had some issues with bulk 32 gr hollowpoints in some semi autos. They don't like the shape of the nose. A Ruger pistol is very partial to 40 gr round nose. For hunting treat it like a centerfire, try a few and use what works best. I like 40gr either solid or hollowpoint. You can try half a dozen good prospects without it costing you $200.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
              Do they still make CCI Stingers?
              Yes sir

Comment

For hunting, mini mags and stingers just because they are ever so slightly more powerful and my guns like them. As far as plinking goes it's whatever is on sale.

Comment

big differences depending what you're doing ...

where to start ...

target ammo ... some are expensive but they don't have to be , most of them will be really oily and sized for match chambers ... most won't run worth a crap in semi's.

copper plated ammo , best to run in a can as they seem to build up the least

heavies ... aguilla SSS 60gr or cyclade 50gr come to mind , i have both and they hit HARD! but some guns will shoot them great and some will send them all over the place.

hyper velocity stuff... good on steel guns but hard on aluminum pop guns ... mix bag on accuracy ... depends on the gun some shoot great some open up.

HP ... or pre fragmented bullets ... some well designed come apart , some make no difference ... probably has more to do with the Brinnel of the bullet itself ... but also note the softer they are the most likely they are to deform when loading in a semi and lose accuracy due to deformation.

most people shoot 22lr @50 ... can't tell much from that on what's good .. take it 100 ,150, 200 and beyond and you start seeing what good ammo can do.

here is an example of what decent "plinking" ammo can do .. it's eley club .. not $20 match ammo ... just their bulk quality affordable ammo. pretty much what doesn't make the cut during their testing I think..

target is a 4" diamond @160 yards .. note that aside from the wind changing , bullets pretty much hit in tiny groups and only move as i'm adjusting the scope...
                  [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbVkKyHi_Mw&ab_channel=standbackitsgonnabl o"]Side shot scope cam first test on Bergara b14 trainer 22lr! - YouTube[/ame]
                  Last edited by imyomama; 05-10-2022, 07:30 AM.

Comment

My kids shot YHEC competition for years with 10/22's. I tried most any ammo you can think of. The most accurate/ consistent we found was the plain old green box remington.

Comment

If you wanna destroy small game meat, Stinger. Otherwise no.

For all around consistency and ability to find them on the shelf, minimag 32gr or 40gr…pick one !

Like leverhunter says, find one that works, stick with it.

A Stinger is a nasty animal and it always mushrooms to about .357 diameter. It ain’t worth a darn for hunting small game meat. The CCI Velocitors are good in theory because I’ve never had one expand even on big game animals, but will penetrate on big game like deer. It is a force to be reckoned with and would be my go to if consistent availability.
                      Last edited by Voodoo; 05-10-2022, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by voodoo View Post
                        the cci velocitors are good in theory because i’ve never had one expand even on big game animals, but will penetrate on big game like deer.
                        [ATTACH]1089192[/ATTACH]

Comment

My older 22s (one around 100 years old) like standard velocity ammo. Some newer ones like high velocity ammo. How much power do you need to put a bullet through a squirrel's head? For small game I use CCI Short HP.
                          One old JC Higgins (Marlin) Federal HV HP bulk.
                          Yes, they do shoot differently.

Comment

Thanks all!

Comment

Around 80 yards 22lr. Not sure the grain but old grey lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X