Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fishing the Rockies....Ultralight spinning rod ok? Guide recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing the Rockies....Ultralight spinning rod ok? Guide recommendations?

We are planning a 2 week trip to the Rockies for next summer, starting in Glenwood Springs CO, then up to Jackson / Tetons, then on to Yellowstone, and ending up in Glacier NP. My son and I want to do some fishing, and I'm curious, are ultralight spinning rods ok or do we need to have flyrods? We plan to mostly fish DIY but will get a guide one or two days. If you were going to be traveling to those areas which one or 2 would you pick to get a guide? and do you have guide recommendations?

I know there are at least a couple of guys that go to Jackson every year to fish that can weigh in.
    I use a spinning rod for most of my trout fishing but do have a fly rod.
    You might consider a float trip out of Casper too, fishing on the the Platte is very good for big trout.
    Some outfitters do pack in fly trips too up in NW Wyoming, that may be fun.

Comment

Ultra lite is perfect. Get break down 3-4 piece rods so you can put them in a day pack. Really no need for a guide unless you are trophy fishing. Plenty of stocker fish most places.

Comment

Good advice above.

Fly fishing is fun and if you want to get in to it this would be a good trip to give it a try. You don't need to cast well (or at all) to catch trout in most rivers.

Comment

If you're DIY there's not reason not to use spinning gear. You'll probably catch more than with fly gear.

If you're hiring a guide to float or wade streams/rivers, you'll most likely be fly fishing. Many, but not all guides frown upon meat haulers using spinning gear on their streams.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

I'd say it kinda depends how well versed you are with a fly rod. We took both when we visited Creede and I'm glad we did. I am a novice at best with a fly gear, when the wind picked up we switched to ultra-lights and continued the fun. Might check out Tenkara fishing rods, light weight, easy to do, easily packable, and you'll have one heck of a fight with any trout you hook.

Comment

Float the Snake through the Tetons and catch cutthroats. Prettiest part of the USA. I fished with Snake River Angler last time I went a few years ago. You can fish on your own throughout CO, MT and Yellowstone but it's worth paying a guide for a float trip. Also look into Blue Ribbon Fly shop in West Yellowstone for a guide on the Madison river or in the park. You have plenty of time to practice with a fly rod until next summer. It's really not too hard to flip nymphs and streamers into the water.

Comment

Do what makes you happy. Have fun and enjoy being in the mountains.

I love fly fishing and when I go trout fishing it is always with a fly rod. I just really enjoy catching them that way. But if spinning gear is your favorite then get after it and have fun. I'd tell you if you can swing it take both. Get a couple 4 or 5 weight starter setups from like Temple Fork or similar and maybe get a casting lesson or two before you go. You don't need to be a great flycaster and don't have to have expensive rods to catch trout on a flyrod.

Comment

Working...
                  X