any tips for improving accuracy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any tips for improving accuracy?

about a year into the traditional archery game.

Some days I shoot ok. Others I shoot like absolute dog crap.

when did everything fall into place for you and your groups tightened up considerably?

There's multiple things that can cause inconsistency. In order of operations I'd say
    1. switch to 3 under and a hard gap sight system
    2. nail down your form
    3. address any mental issues

In order of greatest personal affect on my own shooting however, it was:
    1. learn how to beat target panic every shot(Thanks, Joel Turner!)
    2. address my form, one piece at a time(Thanks Tom Clum!)
    3. switch to 3 under, and gap shooting.

Most folks don't have panic the way I did (and still do, actually. I just know how to defeat it every shot). That's why I recommend 3 under and a gap system first. If you aren't a twitchy, string plucking fool like me, a good aim system makes a world of difference!

Comment

Get your mechanics down. Alignment, consistent, correct alignment, is the foundation. Many accuracy issues become non issues if you can get there.
      I agree with Malachi. Three under gap. Sure, the romanticism with instinctive is real. And freakin awesome when you're on. Sucks when the pig runs off with your arrow and broadhead though.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Ditto on the above. After a layoff or if my shooting goes south I will spend several days not worrying about or even really noticing where the arrow lands, just working on elements of form, one at a time. Shoot 10 shots thinking about nothing but anchor then 10 concentrating on back tension or release or keeping bow arm steady. It helps if I only focus on one thing at a time. I certainly can’t efficiently think about aiming and form at the same time. After a while the form becomes automatic again and I can focus on where I want the arrow to go

Comment

To help get your fundimentals down I suggest taking a lesson or two. Regardless of the level you might be at a few lessons can always help and provide another viewpoint to help you out.

Comment

Practice

Comment

what is the benefit of shooting 3 under vs. instinctive?

Comment

You're looking down the arrow using the arrow tip to reference your aiming point. For example at 15 yards I'm aiming a few inches under where I want to hit. At 25 a few inches over. At 20 I hold dead on. Those are my gaps. Well, with a given bow and arrow set up.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                  You're looking down the arrow using the arrow tip to reference your aiming point. For example at 15 yards I'm aiming a few inches under where I want to hit. At 25 a few inches over. At 20 I hold dead on. Those are my gaps. Well, with a given bow and arrow set up.

have you found this is a more accurate way of shooting vs. split finger instinctive?

My issues I'm currently dealing with are:

My eyes wandering over the target, naturally the arrow goes where your looking.

Plucking the release....this is a recent development

me moving my bow arm out of the way during the release. Don't know why I'm doing it, this is also a recent development.

I'm just frustrated as I'm only a slightly better shot than when i first started back last August.
                  Last edited by txtrophy85; 08-05-2022, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                    have you found this is a more accurate way of shooting vs. split finger instinctive?
                    Gapping is more accurate for me. think of it like shotgun vs. rifle shooting.

You can learn how to do this here:

And I've found if you learn to gap, you can then learn to shoot gapstinctive in the woods at unknown distances. So you can have your cake, and eat it too.

Comment

about a year into the traditional archery game.

Some days I shoot ok. Others I shoot like absolute dog crap.

when did everything fall into place for you and your groups tightened up considerably?
                      I’ve been doing it 30+ years and still have that problem, stay with it, shoot a light weight bow to get your form down ,shoot reasonable distance finish on a good one and most important have fun

Comment

My issues I'm currently dealing with are:

My eyes wandering over the target, naturally the arrow goes where your looking.

Plucking the release....this is a recent development

me moving my bow arm out of the way during the release. Don't know why I'm doing it, this is also a recent development.

I'm just frustrated as I'm only a slightly better shot than when i first started back last August.
                        Yes I am consistently more accurate. I have way fewer "off" days and it's usually a physical reason such as I worked hard enough, or got dehydrated enough or neck stiff enough, I cannot maintain alignment and form. Those days I quit quick or just have a stiff drink and enjoy grilling dinner.
                        I've shot the majority of my trad kills split finger, instinctive. That said I missed four pigs over their back under 15 yards early last winter and it was a gut check for me. After a clinic with Joel Turner he had me gapping reasonably at 20 yards in two ten minute sessions. From there it was just a matter of identifying the right anchor and hold, resetting my alignment and retraining the muscles. I can actually shoot groups at 30 yards now. Not that I'll shoot at game that far, but it sure helps you work on form.

Last edited by DRT; 08-05-2022, 03:00 PM.

Comment

The most automatic and consistent way for me was to shoot enough that it simply became instinctive but that takes A WHOLE LOT of time and many arrows fired...
                          Back when I was deadly with trad I shot hours every single day.. I was obsessed with it.
                          These days not so automatic due to lack of time..
                          Use it or loose it.. Mainly shoot at crows and squirrels in the yard these days but I'll surprise myself on a long shot every now and then.. .
                          Last edited by PondPopper; 08-05-2022, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Shoot straighter!
                            Or use a compound

Comment

Watch Masters of the Barebow

Comment

Working...
                              X