No announcement yet.

Suggestions For Back Pain Relief While Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP, you are describing exactly why I didn’t buy a 2016 F150. I was given one to take home for the weekend. That seat was extremely uncomfortable. I ended up buying a dodge 1500 because its seat was extremely comfortable. It was the best truck I’ve ever owned. I now have a 2022 dodge 1500. I hope you find some relief because it appears you keep your trucks for many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 2016 F150. Back starts hurting if I'm going very far (ride). I thought I was getting old and just wasn't able to ride as long as I once could. Maybe just maybe it's my seats.
      Last edited by BradBryant1000; 04-25-2022, 08:15 PM.

Comment

If it’s that bad, take that sucker to an upholstery shop and have them rebuild the seat with better foam. Redoing factory seats is pretty cheap from my experience.

Comment

Lidocaine patches and google stretches for sciatica.

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
            Chiropractor! Seriously man...a few adjustments and 2 weeks of exercise after that and you will be able to sit for 4hrs in comfort. I have sciatica and a bulging disk. I have to get adjustments about every 9 months. It's darn effective.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
            Chiropractor helped me out a bunch. Give it a try.

Comment

Google lumbar support for truck or car. There are several to choose from. I use the Samsonite Ergonomic Lumbar support. I have a 2016 f150. Really makes a difference for me.

Comment

I use the purple seat and lumbar in my chevy truck.its made a world of difference,on their website

Comment

I started having issues like that a few years ago. Vehicle didn't matter. I bought one of those cushions with a little cut-out in the back (where your crack is) and now no more problems. Tailbone used to KILL me. All good now.

Comment

The wooden beads were all the rave back in the 60's and 70's. Haven't seen them since.

Comment

I crank the lumbar support all the way up, and turn on the heaters in the back part of the seat every day when I leave my office.

Comment

Try a very firm pad on your seat. I had an employee that sat on a piece of plywood daily. He said it was the only way he could get relief on his back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Same issue.

I moved the wallet etc but long trips were uncomfortable in my 15 F-350 Lariat and are in my 17 F-350 yet I can drive the Motorhome to the edge of the earth with no back pain.

It’s all in the seat design!

Comment

I put a lumbar seat cushion in my truck. Also, adjusting the angle of the seat back helps. My PT says I should stop every hour and stretch. I laughed at her.

Some vehicles have no concern for those of us with back issues. Like mini-vans. They are the absolute worst. I have to sit on a full pillow in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfootwolff View Post
                              Over the past few years I have noticed that after driving 3-4 hours on a road trip my back and rear end start hurting really bad. The only relief I can get is to stop stretch and walk around. I have a 2016 Ford F-150 XLT, with the upgraded electronic adjustable seats and adjustable lumbar support features. Neither of these seem to give me much relief. My 2002 F-150 XLT had much more comfortable seats, and I didn’t experience these issues nearly as much when on long road trips, but I was also your as well. I don’t know if it is my age(54), my truck’s seat design, or a combination of both. I would like to take some long road trips in the 12-16 hour range, but the thought of driving that far makes my back and underside hurt just thinking about it, plus I don’t want to get somewhere on vacation and be down in my back. I have looked at getting some gel type of seat cushion and back support, but there are so many options out there it is a little overwhelming. In addition I don’t want to get cushions that really don’t fix this issue or create unforeseen issues I haven’t thought of.

For those of you road warriors that have experience with these issues, have you found any solutions that are effective, and if so what are they? In addition, if an aftermarket set of back and butt cushions has worked, what brand/model # did you use?

Most likely your back pain is related to your Psoas muscle. This is a muscle that shrinks when you sit for too long and the older you get the worse it gets. I'm in that same boat now, but I'm doing something about it and it took over 6 months of stretching, I'm still far from 100% but I'm doing better.

Look up "Psoas Muscle Release" or "Psoas Muscle exercises"

This muscle connects your lower back to you thigh and when shrunk it pulls on your back and causes pain. I'm 51 now and on top of the stretches, I had to buy an adjustable work desk where I can work while standing up. I set an alarm and stand up and stretch and work while standing during the day.

Your solution is to NOT SIT as much as you can and stretch that muscle.

Good luck sir.

Comment

Thanks for all of the input and advice. Chalking my issues up to poorly designed truck seats, older and less flexible back and weak Psoas muscles. At least I have some answers and don’t feel like it is just me.

Comment

Working...
                                X