No announcement yet.

Pig Pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We use one in our pig pen with rocks in it so it still sounds like it has corn in it when its empty. We let the pigs get to it when were not there to check the pen. They love it and we've caught plenty of pigs using it.

Comment

Originally posted by meathunter View Post
      I have two at the ranch and they will empty them quick once they find them. If they somehow get them un attached from whatever you have them hooked to they will take them a ways off and then you have to go find them so make sure your attachment is good.
      This.... I had mine attached to the end plug with an eyebolt... they managed to make the eyebolt come loose from the pipe and I never did find the pipe back.

Comment

Milk jig is cheaper

Comment

Here's just one of many pics of my pig pipe as mentioned by Jakesfish. I went to Tractor Supply and bought two bells with identical tones. You can see one mounted to the top of the upright post with the chain attached. The other was in my blind. Theoretically you should be able to ring the bell that's inside the blind and any pig within earshot should come running. I don't think they got that memo. A couple things I learned: You can't have too many swivels on your chain. I ended up with one at the pipe and one at the upright post. I had too many holes drilled, or else they were too large. I ended up taping over a couple of them and the pipe wasn't emptied as quickly. I put marbles inside so they would think there was always corn available even if there wasn't. I'm not sure they got that memo either. All in all I was pleased with how it attracted the hogs. I was disappointed not to be there when they happened by.
          Attached Files

Comment

So I finally set out my hog barrel 3wks ago. It took my unejumakated hogs about 2wks to figured it out. The barrel is a blue plastic 13gal barrel with a cow bell attached to it. The smaller hogs are still trying to figure it out lol. After reviewing some the vids some of the groups stuck around for over 4hrs jacking with the barrel. I drilled 8 3/8” holes so it only drops a few kernels at a time. It was still half full when I checked it yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by joel45acp; 08-19-2021, 05:34 PM.

Comment

They work great. Just what ever hardware you use upgrade it 10x. They will tear it up!!!

Comment

Jug

Originally posted by PeePaw on Fork View Post
                Milk jig is cheaper
                How many jugs you going to have to use to replace after they get torn up?

Comment

Great DIY

Comment

Originally posted by one2bowhunt View Post
                    I have made and used them several times with success. I use a coated cable dog leash with the screw in thing you by at home depot. they could spin that thing as much as they wanted and it wouldnt knot up. The one I liked the most I had an old cow bell attatched to the end so I new they were there.
                    Like that cow bell idea....

Comment

Originally posted by Aggies96 View Post
                      Like that cow bell idea....
                      Lol, it lets me know when the hogs are there. On a clear calm night that cowbell can be heard from over 1/2 mile away.

Comment

pro tip, add a swivel in the center to keep the chain from binding up.

MB Crunch Proof In-Line Swivels are the heaviest and smoothest operating swivels ever offered to the trapper.  The body of the swivel is much thicker than multi-purpose swivels, making it virtually impossible for coyotes or other large animals t

Comment

We used a small drum with good success. A lid with bolt ring.
                          And an eye bolt in the middle of the bottom. Few holes on each side”
                          Chained to a slick pipe with a metal ring on the end of the chain over the pipe

The pvc pipes I built got chewed by squirrels around the holes.

BP

Comment

i used to do this with 2-liter soda bottles. Deer would kick them around the pasture.

Comment

The deer play with our pipes more than the hogs do, based on camera pics. We have two set up in two different feeder pens. Anchored to a 4' piece of 5/8" rebar on a chain/ring so it can spin.

This past weekend, my buddy found my pipe outside the pen fence, leaning up against a dead tree branch. The camera will hopefully tell the story when I get out there this weekend.

Comment

Nice!!! Thanks advice!!

Comment

Working...
                                X