2021 Austin/Colorado/Fayette/Washington Counties Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2021 Austin/Colorado/Fayette/Washington Counties Thread

How did everyone's season go? I got a doe Thanksgiving morning, but buck sightings from the stand were few and far between. Hopefully the area gets some good rain with this system moving in. It's been pretty **** dry where we're at.

Nada. Hunted hard and I had a couple decent deer coming in and found out the buck I was hunting after was shot just a few days before the season was over with. A couple of lessons learned this year.

1. From Feb-August deer do not show up on the property. From August to the end of October is when deer come around.
    2. Deer in the area are mainly nocturnal.
    3. We finally have does coming into the feeder which is a first for us!!!
    4. The number of Coyotes in the area is astounding and they will eat buckwheat, deer corn, and roasted soy beans.
    5. Still no pigs which is good thing but having something else to target would be great.
    6. ALWAYS keep the grass trimmed by the feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by AmmannsvilleGUY View Post
      Nada. Hunted hard and I had a couple decent deer coming in and found out the buck I was hunting after was shot just a few days before the season was over with. A couple of lessons learned this year.

1. From Feb-August deer do not show up on the property. From August to the end of October is when deer come around.
      2. Deer in the area are mainly nocturnal.
      3. We finally have does coming into the feeder which is a first for us!!!
      4. The number of Coyotes in the area is astounding and they will eat buckwheat, deer corn, and roasted soy beans.
      5. Still no pigs which is good thing but having something else to target would be great.
      6. ALWAYS keep the grass trimmed by the feeder.
      2. That's interesting. We have quite a bit of late morning/mid-day activity where we're at. We saw multiple groups of deer in the area around 2:00 in the afternoon this past Saturday.

5. You can take ours . They're not terrible, but enough to **** you off. I transplanted three small yaupons the weekend prior to this past, and they literally dug in that one specific area, which ended up taking the yaupons out of the ground. I guess the freshly turned up soil got them worked up. They were still green, so I replanted them. We'll see what happens.

Comment

Our deer are mostly nocturnal also. I don’t think we have enough cover at our place to make them feel comfortable all season long. The only time we have consistent daylight sightings are mid to late October. We had a nice 8 pt heavy horned buck but he broke off half a side early. I watched a weird 10pt buck on camera all season. I saw him in daylight once. On New Years Eve. I was in my pajamas and he was practically in the back yard. He lives through the general season so maybe I’ll see him next year.

No pig sightings for us either. Did see 2 axis on Christmas evening.
        Last edited by Speck; 01-11-2021, 07:13 PM. Reason: Added words

Comment

Our columbus area property... never saw an antlered bick after the third weekend of rifle. Our fayette county property now has pigs. Never killed one at the place till this year. Shot a boar that was pushing 250 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Man View Post
            Our columbus area property... never saw an antlered bick after the third weekend of rifle. Our fayette county property now has pigs. Never killed one at the place till this year. Shot a boar that was pushing 250 lbs.

Comment

Just south of Sheridan.

Hunted hard this year as we built a new stand. Saw a bunch of basket rack bucks and more does than I could count.

Thanksgiving weekend, not 1 doe! but about 5-6 baskets and a couple spikes

Shot my buck on Nov 26. 9 point 15.5" spread. Over thanksgiving I counted 19 shots from the same stand in 4 days. It sounded like WW3.

Overall it was a good year. Took my daughter for the first time and we had deer 15 yds from us the whole time. She loved it! Looking forward to many hunts out there with her and hopefully some of these basket bucks develop

Comment

Originally posted by TMC50 View Post
                Just south of Sheridan.

Over thanksgiving I counted 19 shots from the same stand in 4 days. It sounded like WW3.
                If you hadn't mentioned Sheridan, I would have sworn that we had a neighbor in common Thanksgiving weekend was brutal for deer at the farm. I had intended on killing a couple, but after realizing that the neighbor next door had leased his property for the first time, I waited to see what would happen. Lets just say that they succeeded in thinning the herd. I have never heard anything like it, and I've hunted East Texas my whole life it was seriously brutal sounding...guess they were getting their moneys worth. I decided to let every doe walk, and see where we end up after season. I haven't checked my cameras lately, hope I'm pleasantly surprised at what I find. Either way, we had a good year. My wife and daughter both killed their first bucks, so I'm happy with that

Comment

I saw this deer in person on 10/12/19 but couldn't get a shot. My Dad found his skeleton mostly buried in the sand in the wet weather creek that runs through our property. I guess that answers that... HE GONE!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Following from Fayette Co.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

First deer shot on our place in Fayette county since 1986. My brother and his buddies killed an 8 and a 4 back then. We never hunt it. But wife wanted to go camping New Years weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry I’m late to the party. Just finding this thread.
                        Last year was a bummer for us. We had 5 mature bucks (5+yo) that either didn’t show back up after 2019 season or vanished prior to hunting in 2020. Only 6 year old that returned got a pass from everyone on our team but disappeared mid-November and still hasn’t showed up. Haven’t killed a deer since 2018 and won’t have any returning 6 year olds to hunt this year. We will have a few 5 year olds that might make the list if they add enough inches. Pastures are in great shape right now. But we need a gully washer to fill the ponds. GL everybody.

Comment

The old hunting in flip flops! Nice!

Comment

Colorado county

Had a decent year at our place in Mentz. Wife shot biggest buck we have taken, a good solid heavy 130 “ buck and shot 3 does. Saw lots of bucks, just small 8”s. Looking forward to checking my cameras and seeing what’s around this year.

Comment

Got a picture of her buck someone wants to put it on here. Im not very good at that stuff. ��

Comment

Working...
                              X