Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freaking ground hornets!

First off I HATE WASP AND BEES!!!

We got up to camp yesterday evening and one of the dogs got stung on the side of the head. No biggie didn't think much about it. I come back from the morning hunt this morning and the wife and kiddo were out riding on the 4-wheeler they come in a few minutes behind me and park. Then I notice some bugs flying not 10' in front of the 4-wheeler. I go over to investigate and there are what looks like 100's of ground hornets coming in and out of a hole right in the middle of the camp! So after trying to figure out what to do and talking to a guy who catches wasp for research we are going to try and steer clear of them and keep the dogs away from the nest until tonight them I'm going to be pouring a few gallons of diesel down the hole and plugging it up. Unless anyone has a better idea?

The crazy thing is I parked the 4-wheeler very close to it yesterday evening glad I didn't stir them up and we all get hammered!

Comment

No need for diesel. Mix some dishwashing liquid in a bucket of water and pour it down the hole. They will die just as good as diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin View Post
        No need for diesel. Mix some dishwashing liquid in a bucket of water and pour it down the hole. They will die just as good as diesel.
        I was thinking that but I have some old diesel and the guy I talked to said use gasoline because the hole probably doesn't go just strait down and that way the fumes will kill all of them. He also said then you can dig them up tomorrow and make sure they are all dead. To which my response was YA right that ain't happening!!!

Comment

Good luck! I hate them to

Comment

Guy I work with has run into them 3 times in 2 days riding horses. He got popped quite a few times lol

Comment

Gas, let sit, light it at night for visual effects. I used to do that with fire ants.

Comment

Yes, fire!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do whatever it takes to kill them. Never tried the soapy water method but I've heard it works.

I got stung on the back by a wasp that somehow managed to get in my truck the other day. He got killed after he got a pretty good cussin.

Comment

True, dish soap will kill them. But, it does not give the satisfaction that killing something with fire gives. Ground hornet's are hateful little devils.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
                      Gas, let sit, light it at night for visual effects. I used to do that with fire ants.
                      Ya me too, only thing with gas is I'm a little worried about how big the hole is and causing a boom! Then having flaming ground hornets flying everywhere lol

Comment

Put some diesel in a super soaker(big water gun) and shoot them as the come out of the hole... we've done it before, even with bumble bees..Its great fun. Just don't miss to many times..

Comment

Got popped 9 times last Monday. Hate the lil bastages!

Comment

Yep they hurt. I waited till after dark and gassed them it worked like a charm. Gas might have been over kill, but I was mad.

Comment

Originally posted by HYDRO_69 View Post
                              Yep they hurt. I waited till after dark and gassed them it worked like a charm. Gas might have been over kill, but I was mad.
                              Whatever it takes

Comment

Working...
                              X