Hog #11 Couldn't Hold It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog #11 Couldn't Hold It...

Well Hog #11 for 2020 bit the dust while I was out hunting for opening weekend of bow season. As usual, after dinner and a few beers, my cell cam let me know I had a customer. The truck was still packed, so I jumped on the ATV and headed toward my parking spot to start a stalk. When I got within view of my feeder, no pig. I checked my phone and about the time I parked the ATV the camera caught the pig high tailing it. Huh, guess we have an ATV shy pig. I had parked about half a mile away. I trudged back to the ATV, cruised back to camp, and popped another top.

As everyone was headed to bed, my phone buzzed again... pig was back. This time I threw everything back in the truck, and slow rolled to the same spot with my headlights off the last several hundred yards. When I was 40 yards from the feeder I could hear chewing... ah hah, gotcha. I finished my stalk, picked a spot just above the elbow and sent the Iron Will Wide on a mission. The fletch disappeared behind my pin and then vanished into the pigs shoulder. I heard the pig scramble and then tip over just on the other side of the feeder. He never even made it to the brush. I texted for some backup to get him loaded into the truck, and when we returned we were greeted with one of the most horrific looking and short blood trails I've ever seen. The boar had made it about 12 yards and he bled... well ... like a stuck pig.

When we hung him up to weigh him (154# btw) we had to solve a mystery. The first piece of the mystery was we only found about the back 6" of arrow, no broadhead to be found. That was odd as everything was out in the open and it was hanging out his left side away from any brush. The second piece of the mystery was that his back left leg had 2 4 blade broadhead holes all the way through down by his hock. What the heck. The next morning I found the broadhead end of the arrow on the right side of the trail a few feet into the brush, and then had a working theory on what happened. The arrow came to a stop with about 16" protruding from the boar's left side. His first move after being hit was running through the feeder legs, and at this point, the Easton Injexion snapped....but didn't break. The aramid fibers held on one side and the arrow bent backwards. As the pig made his next 2 bounds, his left leg came forward impaling itself on the broadhead which was now pointed to the rear but still attached to the shaft lodged through his shoulders. After the second impact with the rear leg, it appeared to have generated enough force to finish snapping the arrow in two and sending it flying over the pigs back and into the brush. Bizarre, really bizarre. In typical IW fashion, it would still catch a nail and shave hair.

I've put down 8 pigs this calendar year with the Iron Will's and I'm still impressed how a head that is that sharp, and holds an edge that well does things that seem to defy its cutting diameter. It was a good weekend after that, saw a few deer, but nothing I wanted to launch carbon at yet.

I haven't added this one to the Hog Log yet, but the other 10 are here if interested: ​2020 Hog Log
    Attached Files

Nice shooting !

Comment

Originally posted by kcmarullo View Post
      Nice shooting !
      Thanks!

Comment

You should nickname him "Pop a top"

Congrats!!

Comment

Originally posted by EliteDriver View Post
          You should nickname him "Pop a top"

Congrats!!
          I like that, will edit the Hog Log to reflect your suggestion.

Comment

Awesome job Sir

Comment

Ray Charles/Stevie Wonder blood trail.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                Ray Charles/Stevie Wonder blood trail.

Yep. I’ve had good luck with putting them on the ground under 40 yards straight up from their front leg and really low, but the trails usually aren’t that epic.

Comment

Nice Matt. Keep on doing what you do. It’s perfect strategy.

Comment

Expensive head to be using on pigs though. Can’t wait to try out my Wills this fall too.

Comment

Originally posted by MIHunter View Post
                      Expensive head to be using on pigs though. Can’t wait to try out my Wills this fall too.

My thoughts, as well... but I do the same. Easton Injexions aren’t cheap and I use the titanium outserts , as well. Not a cheap rig, but does the job. My rationale is that I don’t fling enough killing arrows to not shoot the best I can afford at my targets. Pig, deer, elk, whatever... well, not coons

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                        My thoughts, as well... but I do the same. Easton Injexions aren’t cheap and I use the titanium outserts , as well. Not a cheap rig, but does the job. My rationale is that I don’t fling enough killing arrows to not shoot the best I can afford at my targets. Pig, deer, elk, whatever... well, not coons
                        Yeah, for me I spend $75 in gas and 7 hours just making the trip out there, a 10% chance of losing a $30 head doesn't swing the cost of a dozen trips one way or the other much. I have lost 2 this year, both to bad shots and unrecovered big hogs. However, I'm 11 of 13 on recoveries and the IW hit ones have averaged about 25 yards before tipping over. Other heads can certainly get the job done, but they work for me, so send them I do.

Comment

Working...
                        X