Home made deer block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home made deer block?

Has anyone made there own protein or deer block? I so please share!

Following........

I'd like to try this as well!
    Bump for ya.

Comment

Seems like dry molasses would be good to use. Deer at my place love that stuff!

Comment

I've made some homemade deer blocks this year and they seem to work well.
        Deer haven't touched my feeder, put a block 40-50 yds. from my feeder and watched 3 trotting does stop and take turns eating off the block while others were keeping an eye on a young buck on their trail. I was shocked to see this.

I mixed the following ingredients together and put it in the cheap aluminum foil bread pans to bake.

- 2 cups feed corn (add more if needed to help absorb everything)
        - 1 cup peanut butter, melt in pan on stove or microwave before adding
        - 1 1/2 cups corn meal (add more if needed to help absorb everything)
        - 1 cup coarse sea salt (any type of salt works)
        - 1 cup grape Kool Aid
        - 1 1/2 cups maple syrup (add more if mixture is too dry)

I usually mix all dry ingredients first, then pour in the peanut butter and syrup.
        Try to make sure all dry ingredients are coated well and press mixture into foil pans that are coated with cooking oil or crisco, so it won't stick to the pans.
        I bake two 4X6 in. foil pans at 250 for about 6 hrs. then set them out for a day to cool down and harden up.

Comment

Cool, thnx ^^^^

Comment

i all ways wanted to buy a bunch of haloween candy when it goes on sale the day after and melt it into a big block

Comment

Originally posted by BowDad View Post
              I've made some homemade deer blocks this year and they seem to work well.
              Deer haven't touched my feeder, put a block 40-50 yds. from my feeder and watched 3 trotting does stop and take turns eating off the block while others were keeping an eye on a young buck on their trail. I was shocked to see this.

I mixed the following ingredients together and put it in the cheap aluminum foil bread pans to bake.

- 2 cups feed corn (add more if needed to help absorb everything)
              - 1 cup peanut butter, melt in pan on stove or microwave before adding
              - 1 1/2 cups corn meal (add more if needed to help absorb everything)
              - 1 cup coarse sea salt (any type of salt works)
              - 1 cup grape Kool Aid
              - 1 1/2 cups maple syrup (add more if mixture is too dry)

I usually mix all dry ingredients first, then pour in the peanut butter and syrup.
              Try to make sure all dry ingredients are coated well and press mixture into foil pans that are coated with cooking oil or crisco, so it won't stick to the pans.
              I bake two 4X6 in. foil pans at 250 for about 6 hrs. then set them out for a day to cool down and harden up.
              Do you just pour 1 cup of koolaid grape mix in or do you actually make the koolaid in water and measure out a cup of the liquid?

Comment

Just put Kool Aid powder of choice (grape, wild berry, cherry) in with corn meal and rest of dry mix, then mix up dry stuff in bowl, before adding syrup and melted peanut butter.

Comment

Bet some vanilla in that recipe would BUMP it up a notch !!!!

Comment

Kool Aid is just an optional sweet ingredient.
                    You can sub the Kool Aid for straight sugar or other dry sweet stuff (crushed cereals, dry oats/oatmeal coated w/ maple or vanilla extract, etc...).
                    You can also sub the maple syrup for molasses.

Comment

Great thread, thanks for posting.

Comment

That's a great idea Bowdad. Thanks for posting! I'm gonna try it.

Comment

Oh, almost forgot to mention that it is better to put something heavy on top of the baking pans while baking, as this helps compress everything down and causes a harder block in the end.
                          I usually place foil over top of filled pans, place pans on top of a cookie sheet, then place my iron skillet griddle on top of them while baking and for a couple hours while they're cooling down, until they begin to firm up.

Comment

Might be trying this tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                              Great thread, thanks for posting.
                              Agree

Comment

Working...
                              X