New guy says "Hi"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy says "Hi"

Don't hate me because I'm in So. Calif okay? Some conservatives have to stay and fight the Communists here, right? When I hike the hills around my home I have a special backpack cover for the Prius-driving vegans that roll past me.

I'm a trad guy now, killed pretty much everything i set out to with a compound. Planning to hit the deep south with hopes to put a wood arrow in the lungs/heart of a free range Nilgai. My plan is simple...hunt the areas western style (spot & stalk well away from roads) and hit timber thick enough a truck or quad cannot enter. I'll pack my animal out on foot and/or use this Bakcou Mule with trailer.

Will be on the Kennedy Ranch late January. Any tips on gear, tactics or weather? Shooting a 55lb Bob Lee Hunter with heavy cedar arrows tipped with 185gr Grizzly single bevel BH. Praying the blue bulls in the timber are more relaxed, offer us a good, close quartering shot and I get a pass thru. Haven't seen the area before so any suggestions are welcome. Thinking light waterproof hikers, SG Dewpoint raingear, brown/gray camo. I own literally everything (typical gear ho) but am unsure whether to pack 8X32, 10X40 or 15X50 binos. Doubt I need a spotting scope right? Any advice greatly appreciated. Anyone who has photos of the area, please post em up so I can select an appropriate camo pattern.

Haven't been to So. TX, just Austin (hated it...seemed like Berkeley) and Dallas (a bit too cosmopolitan for my tastes) and Ft. Worth (love that area).

I hunt the entire west (and Canada too) and like pursuing big game like elk, moose, bison, etc and Nilgai seems like a good challenging hunt and offers excellent table fare. I'm all about the meat.

Bison ribeye roast (medium)

Bison roast rare (my preference)

Elk & spuds

Cya in the field,
    Bruce

Welcome Bruce, I’m not help on the hunt but be sure to let us follow along when you do.

Comment

Welcome to the fire!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

No help here but welcome.
        Tyler

Comment

Welcome Bruce! You're gonna love South Texas! Keep us posted!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome Sir.

Comment

Talked to a friend in S. Cal Friday. Trump signs everywhere.....................

Comment

Welcome in sir!

Comment

Welcome to the crew! I'm no help on gear or expectations either for S. Tx but I'll be on the look out for the story of your hunt.

Comment

Welcome, hope your hikers are sticker proof !

Comment

Just come on over to Texas. Libtards are flocking in. We can use every new republican vote we can get!

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Comment

Welcome to the fire!

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Working...
                              X