Planting Oats Per Acre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planting Oats Per Acre

Hello guys. I hunt with a buddy of mine on here out in Fredericksburg area and we were talking and have a question for you guys who plant food plots.

He has a small area of a field that we could plant oats in. It is already ready for planting but nothing is there but a few weeds right now. Our question for y'all is the area is around 60-70 acres and we are wondering how many pounds of oats would it take to plant a food plot of this size? Best place to buy in this area? Anything better to plant at this time that doesn't take much specialty equipment?

We don't have much equipment but were thinking about spreading some oats and see what comes up.

Thanks in advance.

50# per acre. However you can plant it as thin or thick as you want, but that is the # per acre.

Comment

I usually plant 80lbs per acre. That's just me because that's what my Dad always planted.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
        I usually plant 80lbs per acre. That's just me because that's what my Dad always planted.
        Thats about what I do as well

Comment

I came across this tool on Pennington seeds where you can map out your food plots. It calculates the acreage and then lists the amounts for all their different products. It sounds like you know your exact acreage but it might help others.

Comment

I was shooting for about 70#/ac this time. I had mixed wheat and oats….so figured my wheat might have got pretty thick being such smaller seed. Hard to meter them
            Mixed real accurate. Oh well….got mine in this week….just hours before it got a good rain on it that night

Comment

Call the local NRCS office or the local Ag Extension office. They should be able to tell you what people in the area do.

Comment

Broadcast 100lbs per acre

Comment

Most expensive question will be how much fertilizer? My soil test call for 400 to 500 lbs per acre!!!

Comment

Oooh. I didn't even think about fertilizer. What is a 50 pound bag running? I will look around this area to see who has some and what we will be looking at to do this. Need to figure out a way to broadcast it. We were going to be ghetto and drag a piece of chain link fence behind the truck and spread. Haha.

Comment

I have not had any luck just broadcasting oats.

Comment

60-70 acres your gonna want a drill.

Comment

50lbs if you plan to harvest. 90-100lbs if your planting it as a food plot for deer.

Comment

I’m with Brandon, “seed rate” for broadcasting oats is 100# to the acre. So y’all are fixing to spend some $$$ on 60-70 acres worth! Even if you back off to 50 lbs per acre. Not counting any fertilizer. Anyway, last week at my CoOp (Sulphur Springs) Bob oats were $16.50 per 50 lb sack, and run of the mill triple 13 fertilizer was $18.25 per 50 bag. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Cover crops are normally around 40lbs/ac drilled and about 60lbs/ac broadcasted. Fburg is pretty shallow soils in most places and a bit rocky. I bet anywhere from 40-60lbs/ac drilled would be fine. A buddy of mine that farms around Eldorado said 40-50lbs/ac drilled. You get to much per acre you worry about there being enough moisture and it being a weak stand or not coming up. If it is something yall want to do every year start somewhere and work your way up every year until you find a good rate for that spot.
                              Last edited by DuramaxDude; 09-30-2021, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X