Light 6.5mm billets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light 6.5mm billets

Going to reload for my grendel has gun and want to find some good but lighter hunting bullets to get my speed up. Nosler used to make a 90-100 grain .264 accubond but I don’t think they do anymore. I’m seeing a 100 grain ELDM but the rest seem to be varmint stuff.

Anybody running lighter stuff in a grendel?

Comment

I have used a pretty fair amount of the 100 ELDM and they work fine. At least they work fine on pigs. To me they don't open up very fast out of my 16" barrel. They dig pretty deep on hogs. On coyotes they do not open up fast enough for my taste at all. Seemed like I was just shooting through coyotes. I have gone to shooting the 95 VMAX for everything. It is much better on coyotes and still kills pigs plenty good.

It seems to me that all those varmint bullets are designed to be that way at much higher speeds than what I get out of my Grendel. With a 16" barrel I am just pushing most of them around 2600-2650 fps, and at that velocity they are more a hybrid between varmint/conventional. Just my opinion though, different folks have different takes on it.

Comment

120 gr speer gold dot is the most accurate bullet out of my Grendel AR.

Comment

100gr TTSX

Comment

I have had good luck with Nosler 100gr in my 6.5

Comment

Matt I’ve not shot mine yet [emoji57] but take a look at the 99 grain Hammer Hunter bullets.

I’ve never tried them but they are highly favored on LRH forum. Of course that could be some fanboyism going on but you can get a sample pack of them to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Interested to hear what you come up with. I'm with Bobby on trying the Barnes product, if you can find them anywhere.

Comment

I would probably load the 100gr Nosler Partition for a light weight hunting bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by mzurovec View Post
                    Interested to hear what you come up with. I'm with Bobby on trying the Barnes product, if you can find them anywhere.

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                    100gr TTSX

I used to run the 100 grain TTSX in my Grendel. The velocity isn’t high enough to guarantee reliable expansion.

Comment

Barnes is not an option for what Mike stated. I’m wanting more speed to help improve expansion. And hit harder on deer. I’m running an ARP 20” barrel with their titan bolt so I can run it as hot as I want for the most part.

I’d like something with a boat tail. I’ve always preferred the accubond over the partition and I want this thing to kill effectively out to 500 on deer size stuff just in case.

Comment

I love my 6.5mm 124 gr hammer hunter bullets. Have been using them in the 26nosler and the Creedmoor for a couple yrs and love their performance. Very easy to work up loads and can run them a little hot since they have less bearing surface. I think one of the guys at hammer bullets set a new 600 yd record with them not too long ago, could have been in a 6mm though.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                          Barnes is not an option for what Mike stated. I’m wanting more speed to help improve expansion. And hit harder on deer. I’m running an ARP 20” barrel with their titan bolt so I can run it as hot as I want for the most part.

I’d like something with a boat tail. I’ve always preferred the accubond over the partition and I want this thing to kill effectively out to 500 on deer size stuff just in case.

The Partition is a **** good Bullet and if they would ever make a tipped version I would shoot them for sure. The BC just really sucks on them and the tip gets deformed really bad on the feed ramps.

Comment

Doesn't nosler make a 100 gr ballistic tip? I've actually had good luck with BTs, especially at the speeds you will be running them. Only burners scare me with BTs

Comment

Originally posted by txagyotebuster View Post
                              Doesn't nosler make a 100 gr ballistic tip? I've actually had good luck with BTs, especially at the speeds you will be running them. Only burners scare me with BTs
                              Im not a fan of BTs. More of a varmint Bullet.

Comment

Working...
                              X