Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-19-2021, 08:57 AM   #1
2Lazy2P
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas/SE Oklahoma
Default Skid steer brush cutter

My SVL75-2 should be delivered today and I need a brush cutter. Will be using to clean up my place such as overgrown fence rows and cleaning out saplings under pecan trees. I know that I donít need/want a mulcher, just a good tough cutter. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My machine is a high flow unit. Thanks
2Lazy2P is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2021, 09:27 AM   #2
nandosubia
Six Point

Hunt In: Lohn, Ballinger, Culberson Co

We have a 72Ē and 60Ē groundshark GSS72 and GSS60 on our job site and they are great machines, we cut saplings and weeds up to probably 3Ē dia with them and have no problems. We run them on CAT 289D skidsteers. Not sure if high flow or not
nandosubia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
Ag 96
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Antonio River Bottom

I used a Bradco Ground Shark on a svl95 with high flow. It’s technically billed as a mulcher but is kind of a hybrid with a horizontal disc and mulching teeth. It worked great on big stuff such as half-rotted hackberries. However, it sucked on live, flexible stuff like grapevines, yaupons and huisaches. It’d suck it up in the deck and jam itself unless you went real slow and got one or two saplings (depending on size) at a time.

If I had it to do over again, I’d use a standard cutter instead. Here’s the one I used…

https://www.skidsteersolutions.com/e...SABEgJlE_D_BwE
Ag 96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2021, 09:43 AM   #4
Ag 96
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Antonio River Bottom

Actually, this was the one I used. I shouldn’t complain, because a friend let me borrow it for free, but it wasn’t the most efficient way to get it cleaned up.

https://www.paladinattachments.com/p...y-disk-mulcher
Ag 96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2021, 09:52 AM   #5
saintsfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Illinois, Utah, Nevada, Colorado

I use this for clearing land. In my opinion, it is the most versatile attachment for this application. It will cut/shred everything from grass to 6" trees. The only thing that it will not do is mulch. Essentially it is a conventional brush hawg on steroids and HGH. It is a simple design with blades that can be replaced.

https://www.brushwolf.com/product/alpha/
Attached Images

Last edited by saintsfan; 10-19-2021 at 09:53 AM. Reason: sp
saintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2021, 10:13 AM   #6
2Lazy2P
Ten Point

Thank y’all. Should I go with a high flow cutter or standard flow? I assumed I’d go with high flow but some say that standard is just fine for a brush cutter
Old 10-19-2021, 10:58 AM   #7
Hunterdan

Hunt In: South Texas

I run a High Flow Blue Diamond Extreme duty brush cutter at the ranch. Chews through mesquite and brush with no problem. https://www.bluediamondattachments.c..._0488-edit.jpg
Hunterdan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2021, 11:19 AM   #8
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsfan View Post
I use this for clearing land. In my opinion, it is the most versatile attachment for this application. It will cut/shred everything from grass to 6" trees. The only thing that it will not do is mulch. Essentially it is a conventional brush hawg on steroids and HGH. It is a simple design with blades that can be replaced.

https://www.brushwolf.com/product/alpha/
Thats bad looking motor scooter!
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2021, 11:21 AM   #9
dwactx
Eight Point

Hunt In: Frio county
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterdan View Post
I run a High Flow Blue Diamond Extreme duty brush cutter at the ranch. Chews through mesquite and brush with no problem. https://www.bluediamondattachments.c..._0488-edit.jpg
This ^^
dwactx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2021, 11:23 AM   #10
Kcwwcb
Six Point

Hunt In: The Ranch, Medina County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterdan View Post
I have rented the standard flow unit a couple times and just purchased one. Great unit. I don;t know why you would not buy the high flow if that is what you machine is. Good luck.
Kcwwcb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2021, 11:32 AM   #11
sotx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen County

I got one of these and it is fantastic shredder, Works great for brush up to 3" in diameter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14422319031...oAAOSwmZJfgZE0
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2021, 03:35 PM   #12
RJH1
Ten Point

The only one I've used is that ground shark high flow, it's pretty dang good. It'll chew up all kinds of trees. They won't grind them up into teeny tiny bits like the grinders do, but they work pretty well and fast
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2021, 03:38 PM   #13
varminthunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Hext,TX

I sell a ton of the 72" Blue Diamond Open Front Low Flow cutters. Check them out - I have one in stock. Call anytime to talk more about them. That wolf is a beast!!
varminthunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2021, 03:43 PM   #14
saintsfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Illinois, Utah, Nevada, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Thats bad looking motor scooter!
It really is. I just confirmed that it is rated for trees up to 10" but I usually use a saw for something that big. You can clear a lot of land really quickly with it.
saintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2021, 03:43 PM   #15
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
Thank yíall. Should I go with a high flow cutter or standard flow? I assumed Iíd go with high flow but some say that standard is just fine for a brush cutter
If you have high flow machine you have to go high flow cutter. It is very important to match the two up. You will destroy either attachment if they are not paired to the appropriate machine.
Take Dead Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2021, 03:47 PM   #16
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

I didn't realize we had so many of these machines here. I got a couple 100 acres of youpon playground available!

Could trade deer hunts or fishin trips

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2021, 03:55 PM   #17
Kong
Six Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma Texas

We run the 85” Vail X Series on our machines but it all depends on your budget really, in this world you 100% get what you pay for. These are around 13-14k but they won’t leave you broke down all the time where the 5K dollar machines will if you beat the snot out of them.

You definitely want to go with a high flow cutter rated for your machines flow rate and don’t try to cut 10” trees with one if you plan on it running very long especially on a cheaper unit. Our X Series will do it but I can guarantee you it if you make a habit out of it your going to be opening your wallet on repair bills. We’ve worn out several different brands over the years and the Vails are our all time favorite unit. Buy once/cry once on quality equipment will save you money in long term.

Edit, I just saw your in NE Tx., where are you located? If your close by your welcome to come look at a HD unit compared to a cheap one.

Last edited by Kong; 10-19-2021 at 04:00 PM.
Kong is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2021, 08:43 PM   #18
2Lazy2P
Ten Point

Quote:
I didn't realize we had so many of these machines here. I got a couple 100 acres of youpon playground available!

Could trade deer hunts or fishin trips

Iíll have to get better with it before I embarrass myself. Lol. I got to use the danuser tree puller for about an hour when I got home from work, and itís a heckuva attachment. Me on the joysticks, not so much yet!
Old 10-19-2021, 08:47 PM   #19
2Lazy2P
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
We run the 85Ē Vail X Series on our machines but it all depends on your budget really, in this world you 100% get what you pay for. These are around 13-14k but they wonít leave you broke down all the time where the 5K dollar machines will if you beat the snot out of them.

You definitely want to go with a high flow cutter rated for your machines flow rate and donít try to cut 10Ē trees with one if you plan on it running very long especially on a cheaper unit. Our X Series will do it but I can guarantee you it if you make a habit out of it your going to be opening your wallet on repair bills. Weíve worn out several different brands over the years and the Vails are our all time favorite unit. Buy once/cry once on quality equipment will save you money in long term.

Edit, I just saw your in NE Tx., where are you located? If your close by your welcome to come look at a HD unit compared to a cheap one.
Iím in Tira, between Cooper and Sulphur Springs. I want a good one, but Iím pretty ignorant to what Iím looking at, this is my first ctl. Iím good with tractors and their implements, but this is a new world to me. Every place Iíve called is happy to order me one, but even though Iím not real sure what Iím looking at Iíd like to see it before I buyÖ..
Old 10-19-2021, 08:48 PM   #20
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Iíll have to get better with it before I embarrass myself. Lol. I got to use the danuser tree puller for about an hour when I got home from work, and itís a heckuva attachment. Me on the joysticks, not so much yet!
That's OK lol, I can have my wife follow you on her tractor. She put 5 hours on it 2 weeks ago with a landscaping rake and might have got 1/3 of an acre

Old 10-19-2021, 09:00 PM   #21
Daddy D
Eight Point

Anyone got feedback on open vs closed fronts? What does open do that closed canít?
Daddy D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2021, 09:12 PM   #22
2Lazy2P
Ten Point

Quote:
That's OK lol, I can have my wife follow you on her tractor. She put 5 hours on it 2 weeks ago with a landscaping rake and might have got 1/3 of an acre

Lol, I kept looking around making sure the wife and kids werenít watching!
Old 10-19-2021, 10:20 PM   #23
Kong
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy D View Post
Anyone got feedback on open vs closed fronts? What does open do that closed canít?
Open is mainly used for actual clearing and the closed are geared more towards regular mowing type jobs. Iíve got 4 open and 2 closed and the closed can somewhat do all of it but in my opinion the suck for anything other than mowing weeds, heavy grass and briars. They constantly get clogged up in heavy stuff.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:25 PM   #24
Kong
Six Point

Quote:
Iím in Tira, between Cooper and Sulphur Springs. I want a good one, but Iím pretty ignorant to what Iím looking at, this is my first ctl. Iím good with tractors and their implements, but this is a new world to me. Every place Iíve called is happy to order me one, but even though Iím not real sure what Iím looking at Iíd like to see it before I buyÖ..
Shoot me a pm if you want to come look at one, I can show/tell you what to look for in a good one. Weíve got over 15,000 hours running these things so Iím pretty familiar with them,
Old 10-19-2021, 10:44 PM   #25
samson33
Six Point

I have a Jenkins. Cuts up to 7” material like it’s grass. Very well built.
samson33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2021, 04:21 AM   #26
Jkennedy26
Six Point

Hunt In: Refugio/Webb county

I’m getting my svl75 on Friday. I’m between the groundshark or rut manufacturing terminator xp.
Jkennedy26 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2021, 08:17 AM   #27
txlawdog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lawdog Ranch Leakey TX in Real County

I would love to use something like these but I have too much rock. I have lots of cedar/huisache that I would like to clear. I may have to use a shear then burn it or stack and let it rot. I have to spray the huisache or it will come right back, they have roots like crazy from what I have seen when pulling some up.
txlawdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2021, 08:23 AM   #28
RWB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Do any rental companies rent skidsteers with brush cutters like this? I need to widen our lease roads by cutting back the youpan.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top