Sassafras. How many still use it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sassafras. How many still use it

Growing up we drank this very often. It was used to flavor root beer. My place is not lacking it. Leaves can be dried and crushed into gumbo file'. Tea with a shot of vodka is dang refreshing. There are lots health benefits attributed to it. It helps with blood pressure, gout, arthritis, skin, and other benefits However, it is listed as poisonous due to safrole in it. WTH? Is this a case of a simple plant with many benefits interfering with the drug companies? Anybody still make tea and regularly use sassafras? I was going to start getting some roots to make tea. What say you? I am curious.

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
    Growing up we drank this very often. It was used to flavor root beer. My place is not lacking it. Leaves can be dried and crushed into gumbo file'. Tea with a shot of vodka is dang refreshing. There are lots health benefits attributed to it. It helps with blood pressure, gout, arthritis, skin, and other benefits However, it is listed as poisonous due to safrole in it. WTH? Is this a case of a simple plant with many benefits interfering with the drug companies? Anybody still make tea and regularly use sassafras? I was going to start getting some roots to make tea. What say you? I am curious.
    I've had quite a bit of the tea growing up but when I found out it was a carcinogen I never touched it again.

Comment

We drank it all the time as a kid. We made some at the farm about 10 years ago but that's the last time I've drank it.

Comment

I was sitting in the stand Saturday morning looking at sassafras bushes and wondering the same. I've never tried it, but my friends and I used to build bows and arrows out of them when we were little.

Comment

Drank a whole lot of sassafras tea growing up even had it in home made snow ice cream

Comment

Used to drink it when I was a kid but haven't since then.

I don't drink much tea of any kind, but I occasionally make persimmon tea.

Comment

We drank Tang

Comment

Like above, I used to drink it as a kid, but not since.

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                  Well they made lab rats ingest it, then they got cancer. Do some googling and then make your own choice. I doubt it’s related to some conspiracy theory.

Comment

As a kid, I bought some from the store & made hot tea. I'd probably try some fresh, if I could find it.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                      We drank Tang
                      We were to poor for Tang. You must have been rich. LOL

Comment

It causes cancer

Comment

Many a mug of tody before bedtime. My grandmother keep a box of sassafras root on the back porch for the grandkids's pleasure and to make them sleep better she said.

Comment

Persimmon tea is danged good stuff. I make it from the young tender leaves when my tree is first budded out in the spring.

Comment

***?

Comment

Working...
                              X