Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2021, 04:44 PM   #1
175gr7.62
Ten Point
 
175gr7.62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hallsville, TX
Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,
Default Crushed concrete driveway???

Anyone have a good rule of thumb for yards/tons per foot of driveway? I need to build about 900 feet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 04:58 PM   #2
kparker158
Ten Point
 
kparker158's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Porter Tx
Hunt In: Public and Private Lands of East Texas
Default

Length x Width x tenths of foot depth / 27 = exact yardage.
Cubic Yard x 1.5 = Tonnage.
kparker158 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 05:03 PM   #3
SabineHunter
Guest
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
Anyone have a good rule of thumb for yards/tons per foot of driveway? I need to build about 900 feet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I built a very good raised 800'x12' driveway in 2000 that is still in great shape. I used 28 18 wheelers of crushed concrete.
  Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 05:28 PM   #4
Ætheling
Pope & Young
 
Ætheling's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default

Another variable is to consider what ground you are laying it on. Compaction and soil type need to be considered. If its mushy I would come in with large slag or bull crushed concrete for the base then add you standard crushed. In soft ground like open pasture you can easily lose 6 inches of rock below grade after driving on it wet very quickly.
Ætheling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 05:43 PM   #5
175gr7.62
Ten Point
 
175gr7.62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hallsville, TX
Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ætheling View Post
Another variable is to consider what ground you are laying it on. Compaction and soil type need to be considered. If its mushy I would come in with large slag or bull crushed concrete for the base then add you standard crushed. In soft ground like open pasture you can easily lose 6 inches of rock below grade after driving on it wet very quickly.

My pasture is so hard my 35hp tractor and disk just skips across it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 06:27 PM   #6
MikeyG
Ten Point
 
MikeyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Round Rock
Default

Invest in a good set of ankle braces. I just covered up my crushed concrete driveway with black crushed granite. I'm pretty sure the home owner before me (who installed it) got it for free as it was full of trash and ground up very unevenly. I wasn't a fan and hopefully you can find better quality material than I had.
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 06:29 PM   #7
Bisch
Pope & Young
 
Bisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sonora, Tx
Default

So, where does one go about finding crushed concrete???? And is it better than crushed granite on top of the caliche?

Bisch


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 06:31 PM   #8
PassnItOn
Ten Point
 
PassnItOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Angleton, TX
Hunt In: McMullen County
Default

crushed concrete sucks, if your truck isn't white it will be ... always
PassnItOn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 06:35 PM   #9
adam_p
Ten Point
 
adam_p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pilot Point
Hunt In: Cooke, Denton, Oklahoma
Default

Buy a rolling magnet to pick up all the metal trash that will be in your crushed concrete.

We made that mistake here at work and won't again.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 07:26 PM   #10
Bisch
Pope & Young
 
Bisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sonora, Tx
Default

Ok! My question above has now been answered!

Bisch


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 08:36 PM   #11
175gr7.62
Ten Point
 
175gr7.62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hallsville, TX
Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
Buy a rolling magnet to pick up all the metal trash that will be in your crushed concrete.

We made that mistake here at work and won't again.

The 3 main criteria for my driveway is cheap, cheap, and cheap. I can’t afford to spend $50-$60k on a “nice” driveway and build the house.

It costs $15 to fix a flat and $10 to wash a car. I can do that a bunch of times for the cost difference.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 08:45 PM   #12
El General
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Coke County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
The 3 main criteria for my driveway is cheap, cheap, and cheap. I can’t afford to spend $50-$60k on a “nice” driveway and build the house.

It costs $15 to fix a flat and $10 to wash a car. I can do that a bunch of times for the cost difference.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How wide?
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 08:47 PM   #13
M16
Pope & Young
 
M16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, Counties
Default

Recycled asphalt. I did around 600 ft for $7000. I did a six inch clay base first that I hauled and installed myself. It turned out really well.


Last edited by M16; 10-14-2021 at 08:54 PM.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 08:50 PM   #14
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young
 
Muddy Bud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Corpus Christi
Hunt In: Jim Hogg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
The 3 main criteria for my driveway is cheap, cheap, and cheap. I can’t afford to spend $50-$60k on a “nice” driveway and build the house.

It costs $15 to fix a flat and $10 to wash a car. I can do that a bunch of times for the cost difference.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I understand this completely. I got quoted $12,500 for a Caliche drive way 940’ long and 12’ wide. I’m just building a little at a time myself. I’m about halfway now. It’s been about a year. Hopefully I can get it done by the end of next year.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #15
orchard
Four Point
 
orchard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: La Porte
Hunt In: errwhere
Default


This is what 20 ten wheeler loads of clay rock looks like. Well...sideways....
orchard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 09:14 PM   #16
ClayW
Pope & Young
 
ClayW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Braunfels
Hunt In: Karnes County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ætheling View Post
Another variable is to consider what ground you are laying it on. Compaction and soil type need to be considered. If its mushy I would come in with large slag or bull crushed concrete for the base then add you standard crushed. In soft ground like open pasture you can easily lose 6 inches of rock below grade after driving on it wet very quickly.

This is the most important variable
ClayW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 09:16 PM   #17
ClayW
Pope & Young
 
ClayW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Braunfels
Hunt In: Karnes County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
So, where does one go about finding crushed concrete???? And is it better than crushed granite on top of the caliche?

Bisch


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If done right, crushed concrete is superior IMO
ClayW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 09:38 PM   #18
SabineHunter
Guest
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayW View Post
If done right, crushed concrete is superior IMO
I agree.
  Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 10:39 PM   #19
Codie
Pope & Young
 
Codie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Graham Texas
Hunt In: Young,Throckmorton & Shackleford counties
Default

Just finished having washed crushed concrete layed on my entire driveway. I would suggest having them include rolling it once it is laid. It makes a world of difference since there is no dirt/fines included in crushed concrete. Would have loved blacktop, but at almost 3x the price it wasn’t worth it to me
Codie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 10:52 PM   #20
adam_p
Ten Point
 
adam_p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pilot Point
Hunt In: Cooke, Denton, Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
The 3 main criteria for my driveway is cheap, cheap, and cheap. I can’t afford to spend $50-$60k on a “nice” driveway and build the house.

It costs $15 to fix a flat and $10 to wash a car. I can do that a bunch of times for the cost difference.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The crushed concrete was only slightly cheaper than the gravel we had laid down the time before.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 12:38 AM   #21
El General
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Coke County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codie View Post
Just finished having washed crushed concrete layed on my entire driveway. I would suggest having them include rolling it once it is laid. It makes a world of difference since there is no dirt/fines included in crushed concrete. Would have loved blacktop, but at almost 3x the price it wasn’t worth it to me
Why did you get wash rock?
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 08:08 AM   #22
Big pig
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Blanket, TX
Hunt In: Goliad and Brown Co.
Default

How about some before and after photos?
My A-6 gravel topped 1/4 mile drive is nice and weatherproof, but larger rocks in it
Make walking and biking not smooth.

Not dusty though like Caliche
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 08:54 AM   #23
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

I dont remember how many loads of clay went down, then a thin layer of concrete then we did slag over that. I spread the last layer with a FEL and Im by far the best tractor operator. Its not smooth by any means. Now that its been rained on for a year its hard as a rock!! And we havent lost any of the crown.
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 10:51 AM   #24
Clint
Ten Point
 
Clint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Georgetown
Hunt In: Liberty Hill
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
So, where does one go about finding crushed concrete???? And is it better than crushed granite on top of the caliche?

Bisch


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If you can mix a little cement in the crushed granite, wet and roll, it will be there forever.

If your talking crushed granite road base, not decomposed granite, it will be way superior.
Clint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 10:58 AM   #25
rferg84
Pope & Young
 
rferg84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sweetwater TX
Hunt In: Nolan and Fisher Counties
Default

I'm in the same boat, I need about 900' of drive done.

Freight is what is killing me on road base, 50 miles round trip to the pit.

I'm looking at other options as well.
rferg84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 02:51 PM   #26
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt
 
Arrowsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bloomfield, Iowa
Hunt In: Iowa
Default

I have posted this before, but here is our driveway. We used woven geotextile fabric under about 4-5 inches of 1" crushed stone with fines. It has been down for 3 years now and is doing great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Arrowsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 04:49 PM   #27
Acameron52
Pope & Young
 
Acameron52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bridgeport
Hunt In: Jacksboro & Coleman
Default

However much you think you need, triple it! Ha.

Just got done building a house and dirt snd gravel we’re two things that seemed to go like wildfire. I’d spend all day getting one or the other delivered and it was gone within an hour. My drive is right at 300 feet long, 12-14 foot wide. There are some parts that are built up pretty thick. I want to say I’ve got seven loads, truck and pup. Don’t quote me on that tho.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 05:17 PM   #28
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post
I have posted this before, but here is our driveway. We used woven geotextile fabric under about 4-5 inches of 1" crushed stone with fines. It has been down for 3 years now and is doing great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I have a travel trailer pad to build. How does that pad do when you drive on it to spread material

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 05:21 PM   #29
Codie
Pope & Young
 
Codie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Graham Texas
Hunt In: Young,Throckmorton & Shackleford counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
Why did you get wash rock?
Because I didn’t want dust/fines involved to be tracked onto my driveway or in the house. Used larger crushed concrete 1”-1 1/2”. Placed 2”- 4” thick and rolled afterwards and it is very solid even without fines to hold it in place. Have been very pleased
Codie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 05:41 PM   #30
El General
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Coke County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codie View Post
Because I didn’t want dust/fines involved to be tracked onto my driveway or in the house. Used larger crushed concrete 1”-1 1/2”. Placed 2”- 4” thick and rolled afterwards and it is very solid even without fines to hold it in place. Have been very pleased
It won't last as long, but glad that it is working out for you.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 08:18 PM   #31
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt
 
Arrowsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bloomfield, Iowa
Hunt In: Iowa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
I have a travel trailer pad to build. How does that pad do when you drive on it to spread material

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
As long as the sub grade is solid no problem. If the sub grade is soft it will rut. Lay down some material on top of the fabric before you turn sharply on it. We have installed gravel with a tractor loader on this material with no problem.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Arrowsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 08:31 PM   #32
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post
As long as the sub grade is solid no problem. If the sub grade is soft it will rut. Lay down some material on top of the fabric before you turn sharply on it. We have installed gravel with a tractor loader on this material with no problem.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com