Covid & college -- Quarantine question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covid & college -- Quarantine question.

My yougest son called today to tell us he tested positve to covid. he was tested at the school wellness center. He filled out some questionaire from the school. TAMUC

He spoke with someone(did not get name etc...) he thinks they may require him to leave the school and quarantine at home.

Is this standard protocol for colleges to do?

He is trying to get ahold of the wellness folks to get a dr. referral for the infusion nearby in Greenville.

I can see the schools position on quarantine. He is in a 4 BR appartment on campus with 3 room mates. Just curious if others had experienced the school mandate the quarantine off campus.

He is pretty bummed to have to miss classes and at 21 hours and in the honors program, will be hard to make up.

My son also tested positive last month in College Station.

PM sent

Comment

good talking with you. Thanx for the info.

Comment

My youngest tested positive about a year ago at TTU. They sent him to a hotel for 10 days at their expense. Sent him food and everything. He did his classes online during that time.

Not sure if they are doing something different this year.

Comment

Didn't A&M do all online classes last year? Shouldn't be too difficult for him.

Hope he feels better soon, being sick sucks!

Comment

I think he had said earlier that they won't let them do online if they get covid. he's pretty bummed bout it.

Comment

My neice tested positive first week at OU. She quarantined there in her dorm.

Comment

My son is at TAMU College Station. He has been good this year, but last year he was quarantined twice for contact tracing, but he managed to test out in the 5 or 6 days that it took. When quarantined he simply had to stay in his dorm and self isolate. The kids that were sick that exposed him were quarantined as well for longer until they were over it. I believe one went home and the other went to a vacant dorm room..... all did online classes during the time they were quarantined.

Comment

Just curious, why did he get tested?
                  Why let school test you and not take an at home test?

Hope all goes well with your son.

Comment

Originally posted by wtx223 View Post

He felt sick...

the school test them 2 times a month. he went in to the school health dept.

Really doesn't matter where he got tested. if positive, he is not going to class an exposing others.

the school dr.s may provide the referral for the infusion. If he has to come home tomorrow, I'll have it done here in Austin area.

Comment

Originally posted by wtx223 View Post

No cost if the school tests him.
                      Also might help if he needed to reschedule a test and/or project that was due during the quarantine period.

Also prevents students trying to dupe the professors claiming to be positive when they just wanted an excuse to cut classes.

I know this wasn't the case with the OP's son as he is in the honors program

Comment

Yeah, he is stressing over missed classes. He will be trying to get info from freinds in classes to stay current.

Course...I have not heard from him this evening... getting info from him is like pulling teeth

Comment

Last year all three if my kids dorm mates got the Rona. They did have to quarantine. My kid never got it and they lived together

Comment

Here at work. We test our players every week. If positive we make them go home. Reason being if they quarantine here in the apartments. They cannot leave the rooms. That is impossible for 10 days for college kids. If they are caught out of the room during quarantine they are kicked out of housing. Why risk it when they can just go home and take their classes on zoom.
                            It is a school by school call!

Comment

My daughter just tested positive yesterday. If in vaxed the school requires weekly testing. She came home to quantantine in her room, they were going on a fall break later this week for 6 days anyway so really only missing about 4 days of school if she clears up by next week. It’s a pain but like I told her it’s good to get it now and get it out of the way before their season starts. Then she hopefully won’t have to worry about it again this yr.

Comment

Working...
                              X