No announcement yet.

School me on red dot sights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First question is do you have astigmatism? A standard red dot will appear blurry or sunburst if you do. Guys with astigmatism can run a holographic sight like an Eotech or a Vortex Huey. The battery life isn't as great as one of those. There's also the prism scopes like the Primary Arms cyclops which will have a fixed 1x, 2x, or 3x. The nice thing with those is they have an etched reticle and will also work without batteries. They're basically an updated Acog with much better eye relief. As far as actual red dots, I run this one on my 9mm AR. Shake awake features, Eotech style reticle with BDC and it doesn't break the bank if you're just getting into red dots.
    DetailsExclusive to PrimaryArms.com and Primary Arms authorized dealers.Primary Arms and Holosun have combined forces to bring you the power of the patent pending ACSS® CQB reticle in a red dot sight for the first time! The problem with dot sights is that a large dot is great up close but less useful at distances beyond 100 yards, because the dot becomes too large to aim with precision. A small dot used in conjunction with a magnifier fixes that problem, but is slower to acquire in close range snap shooting. The ACSS reticle uses a large chevron that the eye picks up very easily for up close shooting. At longer distances, the tip of the chevron is an infinitely small aiming point perfect for taking precise shots. Using "zero" ranges of 25, 50, or 100 yards, the ACSS BDC is compatible with the following calibers:5.56 NATO / 5.45x39 from 100 to 600 yards300 BLK / 7.62x39 from 50 to 450 yards12 gauge 1 oz. slug from 25 to 150 yards7.62x54R from 100 to 600 yards7.62 NATO / .308 Win from 100 to 600 yards300 BLK 220 gr subsonic from 50 to 150 yards.22LR 40 gr from 50 to 175 yards9mm carbine 115gr from 25 to 200 yardsThe ACSS features three BDC dots underneath the chevron, allowing an unprecedented 600 yards of bullet drop compensation in 7.62 NATO or 5.56 NATO calibers. Auto ranging and wind leads are also incorporated into this smart reticle. A CQB horseshoe grabs the eye instantly for close quarters shooting and also approximates the spread pattern of 00 buckshot at 25 yards. The reticle for this sight is a central 2 MOA dot, centered in a 65 MOA circle with four positioning points. The diameter of the circle reticle represents approximately 5'5" at 100 yards 170cm at 100m.The HS503G is a proven micro dot sight with an auto-on function that switches on the power with a slight movement of the sight. It comes with a 1913 Picatinny base which is removable, revealing an Aimpoint Micro-compatible base underneath. It also comes with the lower 1/3rd co-witness riser mount shown in the photos.See More

Comment

School me on red dot sights

Originally posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
      I wouldn't put anything cheap on that SCAR unless you plan to try out some optics warranties....
      They're well known to destroy optics.

Aimpoint or Eotech are the gold standards and both have their positives/negatives.
      Eotech has the biggest window and is thus the fastest.
      Aimpoint has the best durability and a battery life measured in years.

In order to get a LVPO with a true 1x you'll spend a couple thousand bucks, some of the cheaper options can get you most of the way there but they're just not as fast as a RDS.
      Another popular option I'm personally not a fan of is the Trijicon MRO. I experienced parallax issues and it didnt feel like a true 1x.
      Some of the cheaper red dots are just that... cheaper. There are corners that have been cut in one way or another (CHYNA).

I assume if you shelled out the bucks for a SCAR you want a top quality dot, so get an Aimpoint T2/CompM5 or an Eotech EXPS.

EDIT: I have an astigmatism and the "bloom" is not as dramatic of an issue as its made out to be, especially if you have corrected vision.

He said FNAR not SCAR. Quite different.

I’ve tried a couple different red dots. Sig romeo5 and a vortex. They both seem to work well. Great for short distance and fast engagement of targets. For pigs, I’d probably go with a 1-4x personally because they’re usually not gonna be right on top of you when you shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tagging for later as i have been wanting a low power scope or red dot.... good info here.

Comment

I've been using SigSauer Romeo sights on my "truck guns" and they are very reliable. Nice field of view, have shot tons of pigs on the run. Great sight, great battery life and great price if you catch them on sale. I have them on both a .556 and .458 SOCOM.

Comment

x3 on the Sig Romeo red dots! The only one that’s stood up to my 12 ga. AR!

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
              He said FNAR not SCAR. Quite different.
              Don't know how I missed that, and yeah they're different but either way I still wouldn't buy a cheap Chinesium red dot.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Aimpoint or EOTech. I’ve got one of the Sigs on a .22, and it’s pretty good for the money, but I wouldn’t trust it for a defensive rifle or anything important.

With that said, for a AR truck gun, it’s had to beat a QUALITY LPVO with good glass and a true 1x. (Not talking about any of the cheap options on the market like the Strike Eagles, Primary Arms, etc.)

Comment

Nothing wrong with the Sig red dots. However, they are just rebranded Holosuns.

Comment

i have a holosun with solar panel on one of my ak's , never have to turn it on.. gets brighter the more sun is out .. i like it, gone one on an ar too ... both are the 2 moa model. with american defense qd bases added... my favorite red dot is still my aimpoint comp m3.. those would be my 2 choices ..

Comment

I like the EOTECH holographic reticle more than the tradidional red dot and would likely keep the EOTECH if I could only have one red dot type sight. Battery life isn't as good as with my red dots, but easy + inexpensive to replace.

The ROMEO 5 is small, light, has good battery life and I enjoy it for a plinking sight. The instant on feature seems to work well.

The Aimpoint PRO is a nice, durable full-sized red dot, reasonably priced for what you get, always on and I really like the battery life.

I don't have a Vortex AMG UH-1, but looked at one the other day at Academy and it seemed pretty nice. I may give one a try.

I had a Vortex Strike-Eagle 1-6 and didn't care for it due to size and weight. Also had to send it back due to developing a little black spot on the lens/reticle. Was repaired quickly under warranty no questions asked.

Comment

I’ve been supper impressed with the Sig Romeo 5.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterSanders View Post
                          Aimpoints are tanks! I'd go with the Pro
                          Yes. Aimpoint. Battle tested and battle proven. The battery life is stupidly long because of dogfaces leaving them on in the field when not in use.

I rifle train(ed) my eldest on a Aimpoint on a Mossberg MVP. Whereas I didnt like his groupings at further distance and changed him over to Leupold crosshaired scope for more exacting aim.

For me and him with the Aimpoint…the sight line is so high it causes/encourages poor cheek weld and subsequently poor form and poor accuracy. I layered pipe insulation foam on the stock and it became super comfy and we were able to achieve better cheek weld, better form and subsequently better accuracy.

Good luck MrJello

Comment

Another vote for aimpoint. I have had one on my AR since 2010 and it has never failed me. I have had to change the battery once since I purchased it.

For a value option, the sig romeo5 is not too bad. I just got one in for ar 22 and it seems to be fairly good for the price. But that is purely observational, I have not taken it out to the field quite yet.

Comment

I’d say an LPVO would fit the bill well given your intended use

Comment

Thanks all for the input. Some great things to consider while I decide what to move forward with. The input on the low power optics makes a lot of sense, and gives me something to think about that I hadn't earlier. The positive and negative on different brands and models will also be extremely helpful.

Comment

Working...
                                X