Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #1
Chef
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County
Default Discount Tire Warranty

I've been a faithful customer of DT for years but i've never had too utilize the warranty they provide; until now!!! I just got a set of General Grabber X3's about 4-5 weeks ago. I had them put on at the Rowlett location (friend is the store manager) then had to detour on the way home to have them rebalanced at the Desoto store. The guys at the 2nd store stated that they were out of balance by quite a bit. They still had some shimmy/shake to them so I just assumed there was a high spot and it would wear down. Well that never happened so I had them rebalance the tires this morning and now its worse!!! I call my buddy and describe to him whats happening and he says not to worry about it. They are going to buy the Generals back and put on some Cooper STT Pro's. All I have to do is pay the difference in price.

Has anyone ever had a situation like this happen??
Chef is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
ctom87
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

No, but I purchased a set of General's about 10 years ago and they had to have them shipped. They said to come back in 3 days. 3 days went by, no call. Went there on day 4 and they upgraded me to the same kind of tire but it was Goodyear. Did this at no extra charge. Been loyal ever since.
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 03:51 PM   #3
RLB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comal County

Yep.....but it was with BFG's.....had one blow out and the replacement was back ordered. I drove with the spare for 2 weeks, got tired of the excuses, threw a fit and they bought the BFG's back and put on Cooper. I was happy and will continue to shop with DT.
RLB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 03:54 PM   #4
UncleBubba
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dickens, Hunt, and Red River Co.

Not the same situation but. Here is one reason I am a happy customer of Discount Tire. They ordered a set of tires for my wife's car, but they never came in... When I went in to ask about it a couple of weeks later I found out the Manager didn't know they were a custom order so he canceled them to get other tires in on that truck. I came out with four new tires only paying for the warranty on all four tires! They took care of us then and have again multiple times with warranty issues due to flats and such. Great customer service goes a long way.
UncleBubba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 04:05 PM   #5
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I love DT We always use them since they take screws/nails out of tires and plug them for free with no hassle.

I just wish more other types of business would run like they do.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 04:13 PM   #6
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

yep. generals are budget tires. they figure it is cheaper to replace them now than to continue to spend labor on warranty work for months and years.

glad they are taking care of you - but not surprised at all.
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 04:18 PM   #7
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

I got a nail in a USED tire I bought from them after a week. They assessed and put another great condition used tire on for me no charge. I really have no reason to not give them my business.
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 04:19 PM   #8
Hunter Dan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

I put some 22" Nitto Trail Grapplers on my wife's 4x4 Navi and they kept going flat. DT credited me back in full and we picked a different tire.
Hunter Dan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 04:25 PM   #9
duckmanep
Pope & Young

Haven't tried them, they are always 10-20% higher than my local tire shop.
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #10
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
Has anyone ever had a situation like this happen??
Yes. Usually they will pay you back at a prorated amount. I did it with a set of Goodyear Duratrax. It made a new ~$350 tire like $150 if I remember right.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 04:29 PM   #11
thegrouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

I haven't had any bad experiences here in any of the San Antonio stores. All the employees there are busting their hump.
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 04:29 PM   #12
67olds442
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
Haven't tried them, they are always 10-20% higher than my local tire shop.
They will price match and if you buy the certs your golden
67olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #13
Starvin
Spike

Hunt In: Texas

Discount Tire. I have found what ever the problem is, they will make it right
Starvin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #14
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starvin View Post
Discount Tire. I have found what ever the problem is, they will make it right
I had issues wth them about 15 years ago on 3 crossthreaded lug nuts on one tire, they had Just put new tires on. Got crossways with them over it and since there was no way to prove whoís fault it was, I was stuck with the replacement of the lugs.

I have gone a few rounds with them over fixing nails that arenít directly in the center and they wonít fix.

I still use DT but I wouldnít say Iím loyal to them. They usually have what I need and the credit card makes it easy to do business. But I wonít bend over backwards to only buy from them.
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 04:52 PM   #15
Hunter Dan
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Dan View Post
I put some 22" Nitto Trail Grapplers on my wife's 4x4 Navi and they kept going flat. DT credited me back in full and we picked a different tire.

I also had them put tires on my Stingray 2/3 years ago that had black powder coated rims. They scratched one of my rims pretty bad and sent it off to be recoated without hesitation.
Hunter Dan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 05:28 PM   #16
Keith
Administrator

Discount Tire has treated me fairly well in the past. However, about 3 months ago the store in Greenville rotated the tires on my Camry and I noticed one of the hubcaps was missing, then by the time I got home ANOTHER hubcap was missing. We don't go to Greenville very often, so I bought a set of 4 generic hubcaps at Wal-Mart. I went back to the Discount Tire in Greenville about 3 weeks ago and after the tire rotation I noticed one of the brand new hubcaps was missing. They looked in the shop and said they found it. An employee had broken it and just pitched it to the side without telling anyone. Before I left they got on line and ordered a full set of 4 hubcaps. This thread reminded me that they have not called to let me know the hubcaps were in, so I just called them. He said they ones they had ordered were no longer available and they have been diligently trying, but have been unable to locate any Toyota hubcaps. I told him I am sure I can locate some, I'm sure the Toyota dealer can get me some. Anyway, he said he would find me some and call me back. We'll see.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 05:31 PM   #17
RattlesnakeDan
Six Point

Last time I went there they broke one of my studs off and said sorry, you can take it to the guy down the street and get it fixed...really. No thanks. I fixed it myself.
My wife hates the place because they always tell her she needs new tires even when they were recently replaced.
I have bought a lot of tires from them but usually go local now.
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #18
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Coopers are great better than Gen.......Sounds fair enough to me...Might not be a warranty deal ,,,maybe recall
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 05:34 PM   #19
Stan R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison and Colorado County

Discount tire took care of me a few weeks ago. Gave me a much more expensive tire and no extra charge.
Stan R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 05:34 PM   #20
KyleW
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gordon TX

Stopped in to get tires looked at a few weeks ago that were cracking in between the tread and the sidewall (tires with an 80K mile warranty, less than 3 years old with less than 30K miles on them). Was told it was "weathering of the tire" and not to worry. Funny thing here is they replaced two of the tires from this original set of 4 6 months back under warranty. No big deal. They ended up noticing a screw near the sidewall of the tire that we hadn't noticed. Told us they'd swap the tire with the spare and recommended we go ahead and replace the 2 tires with cracking as the other ones were near new. Went ahead and got them on order. After waiting for nearly an hour for them to swap the tire to the spare, they ended up putting the spare on the wrong side, leaving the tire with the screw on the truck.

I won't be going back to discount tire again. I have gotten much better treatment at NTB.
KyleW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #21
outlook8
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

I used to always get my tires at discount, but a couple years ago I took my Jeep in for a simple rotation and they Ďlostí my gorilla key which then turned into them having the break all the lugs loose and install regular lugnuts. They were supposed to order me replacements but never did, and it turned into a huge ordeal. Bought my next set of tires from 4 Wherl Parts.
outlook8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 06:30 PM   #22
CaptainDave
Ten Point

I've had nothing but good experiences at Discount Tire.

However, I quit buying the new tire warranty as it wasn't paying off for me. It literally takes a required tire replacement for the warranty to pay for itself or at least be close to it.

Heck, I bought a new vehicle back in 2018 and noticed a nail in the middle of my front tire one day. Lucky, it wasn't flat, so I drove over to the Discount Tire a few miles down the road. They removed the nail and patched the tire for free. I didn't even buy the tires from them as they were stock from the factory. I simply was in their system, had a history of buying new tires from them and they were hopeful I would be back in a year or two to buy some for the vehicle.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #23
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

I NEVER buy tires anywhere other than DT! But, I know the GM here and Will has always treated me great and the service has been "above" expectations every time. We are both "hunters and shooters," if that has anything to do with it?

Strayed once years past and learned my lesson, so nothing but DT ever for me.
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 06:39 PM   #24
Shu
Four Point

I had the same issue with tires from Discount. After the second set was out of balance they finally Road Force balanced them and were perfect.
Shu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 06:42 PM   #25
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

I have never used them, I see them talked about on here a lot though. They are always higher when I price compare
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 06:46 PM   #26
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

I hate to hear that the general grabber X3 is a bad tire ( as I am thinking of buying a new 3500 or a F350 and doing ranch brush mulching would need a heavy duty tire)
But I have never had a problem with DT , they have always been more than fair on my road hazard “ even with ranch road damage “ I will continue to use them
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 06:54 PM   #27
camoclad
Four Point

Hunt In: central tx

OP, sounds like you got a bottom of the pallet tire, where all the other tires being shipped from China are laying on the bottom tire. This happened to me a few months ago at DT and they made it right. Could never get the tires to balance just like you are describing. This can happen to any make of tire I would assume. You got my luck...
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 06:58 PM   #28
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Never had a bad experience at DT. They will always have my business until that changes.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 07:14 PM   #29
Rotney
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

You’ll love those Cooper STT Pro’s. Just put another set on my truck. Had 295’s the 1st time, dropped down to 275’s this go round.
Rotney is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #30
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

I’m getting tired of DT around here. They have zero attention to detail. They always either rough handle the wheels and **** them up or don’t set air pressure right. They’re in too much of a hurry all the time and apparently only employ 16-18 year olds.
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 07:42 PM   #31
Chef
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotney View Post
Youíll love those Cooper STT Proís. Just put another set on my truck. Had 295ís the 1st time, dropped down to 275ís this go round.
I had them on my F250 that's why I decided to go back to them.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #32
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

I buy my tires from the local tire shop. Last time I checked they beat discount by 10%. No upsell on the warranty either. Much better deal. And they fix my tractor tires when I have a flat. I doubt if discount would come out and do that.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #33
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

Using the warranty's I have 100k miles on the last set I bought. Flatb they cant fix, give me another tire. Buy another warranty.

Main gripe I have had in the past is for my wife's car. I buy top line tires, warranty comes up and they don't have them, and she ends up with a cheaper tire. She went to fix flats yes plural the other day and the told her the front tires were worn out. These are top line Michelins with about 15k miles on them. I looked at them in case it was an alignment issue, and there isn't anything wrong with them. My solution is to check stock online before I go down for flat repairs, and I go.
Other than that, as long as they have the current road hazard warranty policy, I will continue to buy there.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 09:14 PM   #34
smokeless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

I have had good and bad service from DT. Lately it has been horrible. I pulled in with a low tire , very low. The outside jockey aired it up and said good to go. I asked, did you look for a nail, screw or something. No, see ya. Next day, low again. I go to my local tire shop, three nails later, a fixed tire.
smokeless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #35
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

I don’t buy anywhere but Discount, they’ve always treated me well.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 09:56 PM   #36
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

No, but I would have started with the Coopers.
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 11:07 PM   #37
Texas Stalker
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma/Taylor County

Great place to buy trailer tires. These trailers seem to go through tires like Hillary Clinton goes through hired assassins. Get the waivers and they usually replace them for next to nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Texas Stalker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 11:18 PM   #38
SanSaba007
Ten Point

Always have had great experiences in multiple locations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SanSaba007 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2019, 01:01 AM   #39
locolobo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX

Wife's car is a nail magnet so We haven't bought a new set for her car in years. She gets at least four new tires per year for $22 each. Lately though they have twisted off studs, lost nuts and keys, sending car out with nuts missing. They always make it right but it's a pita having to check behind them to make sure they did their job right!
Have a new DT store in town. Gonna try them the next time I need tire service.
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2019, 07:37 AM   #40
FVR JR
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

Discount is hit or miss. One location may be the best service ever. The one I go to now was easy to work with when I had a set of Cooper ST Maxx that simply couldn't be balanced. Another location I used to go to is the opposite. They can't even put the right air pressure in a tire, especially aftermarket. None of them ever think to read the tire instead of the door sticker for correct pressure, or better yet, leave the pressure alone when I tell them. Center caps not put on, scratched wheels, lost lug nuts. The warranty is good, but it gets to be annoying having to check their work every time.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #41
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Discount Tire has been my tire company since the day I found them.

I have nothing but good experiences with them.
Tx_Wader is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #42
deerplanter
Ten Point

I went thru this with my Coopers, they replaced one tire and finally got the other balanced right.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #43
TXUSMC
Eight Point

Hunt In: De Leon, TX

I had the exact same situation with a different tire. Not only did they buy back the original set, they sold me a more expensive tire for the same price as the originals. The only difference I had to pay was new tire warranty difference which was about $110 dollars out the door. The new tires were $60 more each, I would say I was taken care of.
TXUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #44
Chef
Ten Point

Well, kudos to DT. I had to pay the $24 difference in price of the 4 tires. These better ride smooth!!
Old 08-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #45
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

can't stand DT !!!
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #46
Bisch
Pope & Young

The last time I went to DT, I had a problem with a tire I had bought there and was wanting to see if they could rebalance them. They put my car in the bay and took the tire off. Then they came up to me and proceeded to tell me I HAD to buy another tire. I told them I did not want to buy a tire that day, and to just put my wheel back on and I would be on my way. The then told me I HAD to buy another tire, and they would not put my wheel back on the car until I did. They said my tire was damaged and they could not mount my wheel back on the car. We had a bit of a discussion, I got my wheel back on, and I will never do business with DT again!!!!

Bisch
Bisch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top