Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-26-2019, 10:51 PM   #1
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Marathon, Headwaters, Durafit seat cover fading...

Let's hear your experiences with them and possible fading issues.. I am in the market for some seat covers for my F350. The leather seats are finally starting to wear with my big butt sliding in and out of them and I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Looks like the Marathon and the Headwaters are similar in price and I can get the Durafits for front and back for the same price as just the front in the other two. All solid style cordura type materials and seem to have good reviews on fit and durability. However, I am seeing some fading reports on them all with the Durafit being more common. The camo fading looks almost like a pink hue you see on a sun bleached popup....

If you have the time, I'm interested in the follow things from my fellow green screeners please ...

-Your brand

-You color: camo or solid

-Your length of time with them

-Your satisfaction or lack thereof

-Fading or not

-Your wait period after order.

Seems Marathon takes awhile.

Thanks fellas..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2019, 11:00 PM   #2
sunsethunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sunset

I've had Headwaters for 3 years on my F250. Krtptek Typhon pattern. Haven't noticed any fading
sunsethunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2019, 11:03 PM   #3
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsethunter View Post
I've had Headwaters for 3 years on my F250. Krtptek Typhon pattern. Haven't noticed any fading

Thanks for that info....
Hows the fit?
Old 07-26-2019, 11:24 PM   #4
88 Bound
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton/Val Verde/Edwards

It’s not on your list, but I went with CalTrend. At the time, the price was the deciding factor.
Air Force Digital Camo pattern (gray/blue/white pixelated). Worked best with my interior.
I believe I’m about 4 years in.
The entire process from ordering to installation was flawless. I was beyond happy.
Zero fading to date. The armrest got dirty so I hit it with resolve carpet cleaner and it all came off.
I don’t recall the wait time but I believe it was several weeks. Definitely shorter than Marathon.

My dad has Marathons on his truck and the only issue he had was the wait time. Going on 6 years without any issues or fading.

My point: I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the options you listed. It all boils down to the pattern you want and how long you want to wait for them.
88 Bound is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2019, 11:25 PM   #5
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

I had a set of Headwaters on a 250 for several years. They were camo, fit great, and I had zero complaints! I'm sure they would still be looking great but the truck got flooded and totaled in Harvey. When I need another set of covers they will be Headwaters!
doug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2019, 11:36 PM   #6
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Put marathons in my 04 when new. Ordered before I bought the truck. They where a different very high definition material then. Traded in 08’ and moved the back ones to new truck and ordered new for front. New (current) material is “better “ but not as high definition (had max 4). 04 had new car smell still... and I’m a dairy farmer lol

Sold 08 in 17’ seats looked like the day I bought it and the 04’ covers in the back seat looked like they were made that afternoon

No experience with headwaters. I’ve heard good things, but super hides are awesome and you can expect 4-5 years of great camo... and another 5+ wear
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2019, 04:33 AM   #7
dc1986
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico

Headwaters , Kryptek Raid in my Tundra. One year, no issues and they fit great.
Attached Images

dc1986 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2019, 05:18 AM   #8
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Can’t see anyone going wrong with Marathon! Pricey...yes. Wait time...yes. Quality and fit...exceptional!
Passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2019, 05:49 AM   #9
Smart
Pope & Young

Default Marathon, Headwaters, Durafit seat cover fading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthrough View Post
Canít see anyone going wrong with Marathon! Pricey...yes. Wait time...yes. Quality and fit...exceptional!

I know two folks with fading issues. Granted they have had them 4 plus years...So yeah..... not as quick as Durafit buddy which was two years but Iím trying to avoid paying double if they both are going to eventually fade.

Iím just trying to see how common it is.

Last edited by Smart; 07-27-2019 at 05:52 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:53 AM   #10
Smart
Pope & Young

Thanks fellas for the replies so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1986 View Post
Headwaters , Kryptek Raid in my Tundra. One year, no issues and they fit great.
Looking great! Thanks man!
Old 07-27-2019, 06:38 AM   #11
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I know two folks with fading issues. Granted they have had them 4 plus years...So yeah..... not as quick as Durafit buddy which was two years but Iím trying to avoid paying double if they both are going to eventually fade.

Mine have faded. But I think itís from sliding in and out of the seats. Not a UV or sunlight issue. Not sure how one prevents that. Because the material is as tough as advertised. Iíve had this set on my duramax for about 10 years. I donít think youíll find better quality than Marathon, but Iíve been wrong before
Passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2019, 06:48 AM   #12
MadHatter
Ten Point

I just ordered Marathons last week. Always heard about the long wait times.
Guy that called me back, to confirm order, said I would have them by Aug 15.
Kinda surprised me, as I was expecting the 6 to 8 week experience.
Maybe they are slow right now right now, I'm not sure.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2019, 07:12 AM   #13
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

I put Marathon on my 2010 when I got it, just sold the truck 2 weeks ago and they still looked and fit perfect.

That said, for the same money you can get Katskins Leather and install them your self.

bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2019, 07:18 AM   #14
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

A co worker of mine just put used Marathons in his truck he got from another co worker.
You can tell the bottom seat on the driver side is faded from wear. The other seats still look like new.
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2019, 07:20 AM   #15
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

How hard was it to install that katzkin? I looked in to that myself.

I could get the leather covers for around $600. They wanted $1700 total at the local katzkin dealer for the same covers installed.
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2019, 07:34 AM   #16
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

Should read ďnot as quick as my buddy with Durafit which was 2 years*Ē
Old 07-27-2019, 07:47 AM   #17
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12RingKing View Post
How hard was it to install that katzkin? I looked in to that myself.

I could get the leather covers for around $600. They wanted $1700 total at the local katzkin dealer for the same covers installed.

Thatís a buddy of mines truck, he got the Katskins off EBay for a little under $600 and said the install took 2-3 hours but was not difficult.
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2019, 07:54 AM   #18
tmkrueger
Ten Point

I had a set of Marathons I purchased in 2004 for a Rubicon that I owned for 10 years.
The jeep was used without the top most of the time, and the Marathons were exposed to blood, mud, snow, rain, red dirt etc. They were very durable and the factory seats looked brand new when I removed the Marathons. I would wash them at the car wash and they looked new again.They were camo. I purchased a second set for my unlimited Rubicon that I have now. They are black Kryptek camo. I cannot remember the wait time.
tmkrueger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2019, 08:02 AM   #19
fbchunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Thompsons

I went with Wet Okole. They were $5-600 and I’ve had them for 3 years. They are black in color, and aren’t faded but dirty as heck, haven’t washed them in 3 years. They fit pretty well, and are holding up fine. Putting them on the back seat was a pain. I think the wait time was 4-6 weeks
fbchunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2019, 08:27 AM   #20
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

I ve had headwaters now for 5-6 years. Not one problem.

When you call them the owner talks to you, or did back then.

Install took a coupla hours. Follow instructions and its really easy.

Custom pockets are great for storing stuff,

Would recommend highly.

Can post pics later. Some kinda desert pine camo that matches my interior well.

$600ish

Most folks that get in my truck make a positive comment about their looks un prevoked.
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2019, 08:31 AM   #21
txagyotebuster
Six Point

My dad and I both have headwaters. Had them for 4 or 5 yrs and no fading and still are waterproof.
Had a pair of hatchie bottoms for probably 7 or 8 yrs and they finally wore a hole in the drivers side. But faded over time.

The HW fit grear but are kind of a rough texture. If you ever get in the truck with no shirt on its not real comfortable. But you can pour a bottle of water in the seat and it will just puddle up and stay there.

Can't remember how long they took after order, been too long.

I also have the bow holder option and dad had the rifle holder. I wish i had done both options on mine. You couldn't carry a bow and rifle at the same time. But if you get the rifle holder installed a little lower than they normally do you would have the either or option (gun or bow)
txagyotebuster is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2019, 08:51 AM   #22
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co. TX, Arkansas

FIL has had Marathons in his Tundra for around 5 years, and a little over 200K. The color has faded some on his driver seat and on the armrest cover, but the seats look new underneath.

I think heís only taken them off once or twice in that time to wash them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SoTXAg06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2019, 07:29 AM   #23
Smart
Pope & Young

Ttt
Old 07-28-2019, 10:46 AM   #24
coy-ote
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit county

Didnít durafit go outta business?

coy-ote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #25
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy-ote View Post
Didnít durafit go outta business?

Website is still up
Old 07-28-2019, 11:37 AM   #26
coy-ote
Ten Point

I had tried calling some months back and got this number is no longer available

Old 07-28-2019, 11:54 AM   #27
popeandyoung151
Eight Point

Hunt In: Vernon, TX

I ordered marathon kryptek camo for my Tundra 3 weeks ago. Still waiting but should be getting close
popeandyoung151 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2019, 01:39 PM   #28
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy-ote View Post
I had tried calling some months back and got this number is no longer available

OK...thank you... They answered an email from me this spring but that could be before you called. They were my leader until I was shown a set that faded in two years. Unless somebody can tell me that marathon/headwaters do the same.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:51 PM   #29
coy-ote
Ten Point

I ordered a set the material is waterproof and fit real snug, I got a camp color and it faded in 10 months ! I called and spoke to someone who said get me some pictures I did and he said well send you a new set. I offered to send the old set back and he said keep them. I waited and waited then the website was down and no one ever called back , they told me they had a run of bad dye and would make good but nothing yet and this was last year

Old 07-28-2019, 02:24 PM   #30
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SW of Dallas

I ordered a set of Max 1 camo Headwaters for the GMC 2500 I had. I added a couple cell phone pockets on the center console piece and loved them. I wish I would have added more pockets if I had it to do over again.

I don't remember the wait time but it wasn't something negative or problematic.

Fit was perfect and better than expected. Install was simple. Just had to follow the directions, especially to know where and how to run the Velcro.

No sun fading at all. The bottom of the drivers seat looked more "worn" than the rest of the seats, just like any of truck seats do, from the wear of getting in and out. Nothing that I thought was odd or unexpected.

I would 100% buy from Headwaters again.
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2019, 02:28 PM   #31
BmacBmac1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sheridan Texas, SW Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
I ordered a set of Max 1 camo Headwaters for the GMC 2500 I had. I added a couple cell phone pockets on the center console piece and loved them. I wish I would have added more pockets if I had it to do over again.

Fit was perfect and better than expected. Install was simple. Just had to follow the directions, especially to know where and how to run the Velcro.

No sun fading at all. The bottom of the drivers seat looked more "worn" than the rest of the seats, just like any of truck seats do, from the wear of getting in and out. Nothing that I thought was odd or unexpected.

My experience as well. Mine are 3 years old.

BmacBmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2019, 04:15 PM   #32
longhorn_cop
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tx panhandle, Mex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCanesFan View Post

Same here. Have had them on a f350 for the past 6 years on our mexico lease. Mossy Oak camo, not sure on pattern but its dark.
Still look good and cant tell on fading as they are really dusty, but if faded its got to be light as its not obvious.
Never washed and been sitting in those,110 deg summers. Cowboy drives it almost daily.
Still tight, no,snags, rips or issues.
Cant say enough about them
longhorn_cop is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2019, 04:24 PM   #33
scott123456789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lone Camp, TX

I installed Dura Fit in my truck this March. Liked that they were in stock ready to ship from amazon. I asked about a fitment question prior to ordering and they applied a $20 off amazon coupon to the models I was looking at.

Very impressed with the front seat covers, fit very well, seems and lines all matched nicely.

Was not as impressed with the rear setup, they just cover the seating area and Velcro to the underside of the seats. Where the fronts fit more like a sleeve. However I paid $179 which came with head rests, rear seat pockets and complete console coverage, compared to $500 plus so for that I am still very pleased.

I’d be less impressed if they turn pink in two years but I really am just trying to protect the cloth seats underneath.
scott123456789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2019, 05:49 PM   #34
Humper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green Co.

Marathons on my 2012 Tundra. Got the solid brown about 4 or five years ago. No fading or issues with them at all. They’ve held up to Smart on our trips to Christoval
Humper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2019, 06:56 PM   #35
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

Had the Marathons in camo on my old 04 for a bunch of years and never had a fading issue at all. Just put black Headwaters on the new truck last September. No issues so far and I really like the Headwaters.
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2019, 07:53 PM   #36
slabnabbin
Eight Point

Marathons in my wifeís Tahoe and they faded severely. Started out as dark grey and are **** near blue now. Fit and protection is great but they look terrible now.

slabnabbin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2019, 09:59 PM   #37
Trevor73402
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Thatís a buddy of mines truck, he got the Katskins off EBay for a little under $600 and said the install took 2-3 hours but was not difficult.
I can truly say opinions vary on this. If someone can install a full set of Kats in 2Ė3 hours and make it look professional, they are pretty **** skilled. It may vary depending on make/model of vehicle, but for newer F-150/250 trucks they are a biattch to get installed right so that they truly look factory.
Trevor73402 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2019, 12:35 PM   #38
Smart
Pope & Young

Leaning toward teh Headwaters right now..... Too many Durafit fading issues to even justify paying half price for front and back.

If you got the driver and passenger bow scabbard can you tell me if it was worth it and how well it works? Concept looks good but you never know from pics. It would sure be nice not to have to lay ours down in my back seat and stack towels between them to keep them from banging on each other on those rocky arse roads.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:42 PM   #39
Humper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green Co.

Jason,

Look at this behind the seat scabbard....I've got one if you want to see it up close.

Name:  185230779_boyt-truck-seat-gun-case-organizer.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  9.2 KB

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/78689?productId=1302997

Got mine at the DSC show for under $100
Humper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #40
SB09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor and Grayson Counties

-Your brand

Headwaters

-You color: camo or solid

Kryptek Camo

-Your length of time with them

2 years

-Your satisfaction or lack thereof

Incredibly satisfied

-Fading or not

Small, very small amount of fading. Marathons on my FILs truck are faded bad and they're not as old.

-Your wait period after order.

6 weeks
SB09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2019, 12:51 PM   #41
SB09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor and Grayson Counties

I have the bow scabbard and love the thing. Paul knows what he is doing.
SB09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #42
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humper View Post
Jason,

Look at this behind the seat scabbard....I've got one if you want to see it up close.

Attachment 967028

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/78689?productId=1302997

Got mine at the DSC show for under $100

I like that but really want something specific for the bow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB09 View Post
I have the bow scabbard and love the thing. Paul knows what he is doing.

Great to hear...worst case I'd lik to get one for me. anyway.

Wonder if they can put the "map case" under the bow holder? I'll ask but seems like they could

Name:  bow scabbard.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  9.5 KB

Last edited by Smart; 08-07-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:31 PM   #43
twdjr
Ten Point

Headwaters, Kryptek Typhon, Front, Rear and Console. Going on 3 years and 35,000 miles on covers with slight fade on drivers seat. Seems like it took about 4 weeks to receive. No compliant or experience with any other brands.
twdjr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2019, 06:44 PM   #44
Smart
Pope & Young

Ttt
Old 08-07-2019, 07:24 PM   #45
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Leaning toward teh Headwaters right now..... Too many Durafit fading issues to even justify paying half price for front and back.

If you got the driver and passenger bow scabbard can you tell me if it was worth it and how well it works? Concept looks good but you never know from pics. It would sure be nice not to have to lay ours down in my back seat and stack towels between them to keep them from banging on each other on those rocky arse roads.
Marathon and Headwaters are both made of CORDURAģ so both will wear and fade at the same rate, my 2008 F350 I put brown desert camouflage Marathon
And never had a problem, sold it (2014)and saw the guy who bought it at a store the seat covers looked even better than when I had the truck ( he has kids and I two hairy Labrador dogs ď I guess kids are cleaner than dogsĒ) so I am buying more marathons

P.S the 2008 6.4 SD is still running strong with 300,000+ miles and 100% original factory equipment ( except shocks and steering parts) no deletes
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2019, 07:34 PM   #46
Texas Stalker
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma/Taylor County

I have Headwaters on my f350 got the max 1 camo. I love them but they are starting to fade a little after 3 years. My only other complaint is they are hot during the summer. Sweat like crazy. Other than that. I love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Texas Stalker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #47
pilar
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Stalker View Post
I have Headwaters on my f350 got the max 1 camo. I love them but they are starting to fade a little after 3 years. My only other complaint is they are hot during the summer. Sweat like crazy. Other than that. I love them.

I bought some nerpren seat covers long time ago and got sweaty butt even though the winter so that material is never going back in my vehicle
Old 08-07-2019, 08:54 PM   #48
Texas Stalker
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma/Taylor County

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
I bought some nerpren seat covers long time ago and got sweaty butt even though the winter so that material is never going back in my vehicle

I guess itís the cordura that makes them tough but itís hot in my truck.

Texas Stalker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2019, 08:59 PM   #49
Smart
Pope & Young

Did some more research tonight. Looks like they all fade somev...Seems like sitting in the sun and direct exposure through the windshield is the biggest culprit.

Now do I want to buy a set of Marathons or Headwaters for a $600 or a set of Durafits for $300 on a 2001 truck....that might be gone in a couple of years or relegated to deer lease truck. Marathons and HW are Cordura.....Durafit is Endura. Same type stuff with one being a knockoff.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:13 PM   #50
pilar
Ten Point

Quote:
Did some more research tonight. Looks like they all fade somev...Seems like sitting in the sun and direct exposure through the windshield is the biggest culprit.

Now do I want to buy a set of Marathons or Headwaters for a $600 or a set of Durafits for $300 on a 2001 truck....that might be gone in a couple of years or relegated to deer lease truck. Marathons and HW are Cordura.....Durafit is Endura. Same type stuff with one being a knockoff.
Good lord durafit or cheapo if you really are making it a ranch truck or selling it soon, that is a no brainer