Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas
Default 2019 Select Baseball

Tryouts over..rosters made..winter workouts done.. ready to get back at it.
Who else is set for Spring?
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 07:52 PM   #2
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Good luck guys looking forward to updates. We won’t start tournament ball until
Summer. Take lots of picks and keep it going
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 08:08 PM   #3
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Got our traveling team ready to go. Gonna beat up on some city slicker select teams!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 08:13 PM   #4
glen
Pope & Young

Best movie. I bet every kid that plays has seen it a dozen times. They wear shirt “your killing me Smalls” at HS
Old 01-13-2019, 08:16 PM   #5
Stuck
Ten Point

First practice tomorrow at 7:00.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #6
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

8u started a hitting league tonight and the 11u starts practice this wednesday, although he will be out of town with the 5th grade camping trip.
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 08:45 PM   #7
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

It's about that time! Youngest starts practice next week and oldest will start weekend spring training workouts next weekend. It's been a nice break, but the freezer is full and it's time to get back to work. I look forward to following this thread again this year and good luck to all the kiddos!
cwill is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #8
jer_james
Pope & Young

We started back last week - got 3 practices scheduled for this week. Not sure how this new team is talent wise. Kinda wish Jax would have chosen the Majors team. Coach seems good though. Big swing analytics guy. Will be interesting to watch it come together.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 02:38 PM   #9
glen
Pope & Young

I would not worry about position played or what division team your kid plays on. Chances are he will not be playing same position later on. My kid didn’t pitch until he was 14. Here he is in 13u. It obvious he would not be catching later on. He had fun and learned the game and liked the group he was with and knew them well.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #10
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Throckmorton County

We're not doing Select anymore since we're @ the high school level now, but baseball season can't get here soon enough for me!
cj7zrcool is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 03:21 PM   #11
tonyt79
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over
Default 2019 Select Baseball

Sons team has been set since end of fall. Hard not to be excited when I am here every day now.

tonyt79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #12
bowhuntermac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado

2 mos since the end of fall ball, and we have our team meeting for spring next week. Made it to the league championship game last year but fell short of winning it all.
bowhuntermac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 04:40 PM   #13
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCulloch County

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7zrcool View Post
We're not doing Select anymore since we're @ the high school level now, but baseball season can't get here soon enough for me!
HS tryouts started today...
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #14
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt79 View Post
Sons team has been set since end of fall. Hard not to be excited when I am here every day now.
That's a great lookin set up!
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 12:22 PM   #15
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

We are skipping spring select ball, for this year at least. He's still playing basketball, and there's just plenty of other kid stuff we want to do. We're gonna do our rec league team (which we love). Hopefully our Rec league all star group will be worth playing a tourney or two with, then we may pick up with someone for some summer time stuff.

I'll be checking in here though, good luck to everyone.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #16
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Throckmorton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursejenn View Post
HS tryouts started today...
We're still playing basketball for another 3 weeks.
cj7zrcool is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #17
glen
Pope & Young

It’s that time of year. I’ve got my cold weather gear in the car. Time off from work- Had parents meeting - Play Ball
Old 01-22-2019, 05:43 PM   #18
systemnt
Pope & Young

Noticed a hitch watching the boy throw to 2nd during drills..looked like he was compensating and turned his arm of to side ..
Finally got him to admit his arm hurt ..so we are headed to ortho tomorrow to take a look at his elbow
Old 01-22-2019, 05:52 PM   #19
glen
Pope & Young

System. That bites. Lay him up. Let him DH. Trust me position at that age does not matter. My kid was a catcher until 14u. Make sure he is healthy and interested
Old 01-22-2019, 06:22 PM   #20
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Little small town of Goldthwaite has to play tournaments in the metroplex. No one around here will let us in their tournaments. Says we are recruiting. That's BS. Every kid attends our Grammar school.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 07:46 PM   #21
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
Little small town of Goldthwaite has to play tournaments in the metroplex. No one around here will let us in their tournaments. Says we are recruiting. That's BS. Every kid attends our Grammar school.

They can play too, I seen'em do it!

We get that same bit around some towns, I tell'em to work as hard as our boys do before you tell them they shouldn't be that good.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:42 AM   #22
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
System. That bites. Lay him up. Let him DH. Trust me position at that age does not matter. My kid was a catcher until 14u. Make sure he is healthy and interested
Yup.Wont be any hesitation to pull him. He wont like it..and team will suffer..but its 9U.
If doc says what i think he'll say we will do complete rest until rehab is complete... maybe rejoin team around state and ws dates... if that plan works out.
Not really that concerned about play time as i am getting him healthy.
We'll see in a couple hours.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:31 AM   #23
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
Noticed a hitch watching the boy throw to 2nd during drills..looked like he was compensating and turned his arm of to side ..
Finally got him to admit his arm hurt ..so we are headed to ortho tomorrow to take a look at his elbow
That's scary, hope everything works out for the best man. We have one on out 11u team that had a sore elbow after the fall, he didn't throw over the break and it started hurting again 3 weeks ago, they took him to the ortho and they told him no throwing and added some rehab for 6 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
Could you guys play up?
Old 01-23-2019, 01:34 PM   #24
glen
Pope & Young

Doghouse. Just go play better teams elsewhere. It’s no fun playing against subpar teams anyway
Old 01-23-2019, 03:28 PM   #25
Wechebuck
Nubbin' Buck

My youngest son is 9 and his first tournament is this weekend. I remember my oldest son’s 9u season. It seemed like it would never end. Here we go! Wouldn't trade it for anything though.
Wechebuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #26
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Doghouse. Just go play better teams elsewhere. It’s no fun playing against subpar teams anyway
We do but it gets expensive on these young couples with the traveling expenses.

Last edited by doghouse; 01-23-2019 at 03:35 PM.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 03:48 PM   #27
glen
Pope & Young

Yes sir. We split with 2 other families.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:50 PM   #28
UncleCharlie
Eight Point

Quote:
Sounds like Little League Elbow which is an overuse injury. Typically, that's 6 weeks of rest from throwing. I didn't think it happened to kids that young but he will be good to go in a few months.
UncleCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 04:56 PM   #29
systemnt
Pope & Young

Ucl tear and a small chip on elbow. Chip looks 'cold' and mightve happened a long time ago...MRI will tell more.
Ortho said its typical and yes overuse is a common theme for it, but simply throwing wrong one time can cause it too.
In our case its probably that he hurt it and didnt let anyone know until we noticed him compensating..
Anyway..
In a brace till MRI then a decision on whether or not he gets a full cast or if the brace is enough for about 3-4 weeks..then PT rehab...possibly throwing in 6....back to normal throwing will be determined by pt progress... but we wont be rushing it.
Hes pretty bummed out.

Last edited by systemnt; 01-23-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:00 PM   #30
glen
Pope & Young

Picture says it all. That bites
Old 01-23-2019, 05:31 PM   #31
jshouse
Pope & Young

That sucks. Hopefully some rest will heal him up.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:20 PM   #32
glen
Pope & Young

I like watching baseball enough I stop by a tournament field still and watch some 9u-10u ball. Lots of excitement and it is what baseball is about
Old 01-23-2019, 07:42 PM   #33
jkk831
Ten Point

Hunt In: Garza County

My 8 yo has a elbow issue called Panners disease. He’s been out for 8 weeks and missed basketball. Hopefully he heals up soon as we are supposed to start practice feb 5th.
jkk831 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 08:17 PM   #34
fishinguy
Four Point

That sucks but at least you have a good recovery plan. He'll be back to it in no time.
fishinguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 08:25 PM   #35
cwill
Ten Point

Sorry to hear that System and hope he makes a quick and full recovery. I've seen ALOT of elbow problems with youngsters on my kids teams and it sure makes me worry about my boys. Good news is all but one kid I've seen with these injuries returned fairly quickly and was 100%.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:08 PM   #36
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

Had a kid last year with the same elbow chip and hurting. Doc said 8-10 weeks I said whole season would not let him return until fall his parents where mad, but they are thanking me now. He is back now and throwing very well, it 9U sit him out and rehab and come back in the fall. Get better long toss and strengthen the arm back up trust me you will be glad you did don't push him.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 10:56 PM   #37
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Ucl tear and a small chip on elbow. Chip looks 'cold' and mightve happened a long time ago...MRI will tell more.
Ortho said its typical and yes overuse is a common theme for it, but simply throwing wrong one time can cause it too.
In our case its probably that he hurt it and didnt let anyone know until we noticed him compensating..
Anyway..
In a brace till MRI then a decision on whether or not he gets a full cast or if the brace is enough for about 3-4 weeks..then PT rehab...possibly throwing in 6....back to normal throwing will be determined by pt progress... but we wont be rushing it.
Hes pretty bummed out.

I hate that for him, sounds like something maybe some pig killing, spring time bass fishin, and maybe an affordable axis doe meat haul, might cure.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:01 AM   #38
LukeDuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas, Louisiana

Quote:
Anyway..
Hes pretty bummed out.
Been there done that x4...Gage had a shoulder growth plate injury at 8yo, and 12yo followed by pars fracture at 13 and ulnar nerve entrapment at 15.

WATCH HIM CLOSELY on this first deal...he's too young to understand the consequences of not following the program. At 8yo I found out Gage was slipping out of his sling to play dodgeball at recess and it set his treatment back.

Yours is learning the grind early - but there's still tons of ball and good times ahead if your do the treatment right!

Prayers for a quick and complete recovery!
LukeDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 05:20 AM   #39
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

Cypress, Texas. My son plays 12U baseball, usually through the school but thought I'd put this out there. My sons school tryouts aren't until the end of February so if anyone needs an extra person or is short a player at a tournament he is available if you have an extra jersey. He's a left handed pitcher and first baseman but would play anywhere just to get some AB's in.
He did this a couple of years ago and enjoyed it.
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2019, 12:42 PM   #40
glen
Pope & Young

I went to a scrimmage last night. Mom next to me had a heated stadium pad. Almost looks like a must have in my opinion. I was on aluminum seats and by 10p I was jackhammering cold.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:58 PM   #41
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Anyway..
Hes pretty bummed out.
That sucks. My son 13U is just coming off 6 weeks of PT after being shut down OCT 1 for growth plate injuery in the shoulder. He’s 3 weeks into his throwing program so hopefully he’ll be ready to go in mid/Late Feb.
ShockValue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2019, 05:27 PM   #42
Bullydog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson / Throckmorton

Man that sucks Systemnt. but hes young.

My middle son who played select ball from 9-18 was an injury machine. Broken ankles (football/motocross), broke both arms same day when he was 13 (basketball). Dislocated throwing shoulder at 14 in a game. Broke finger and damaged growth plate at 16 in Football, (another surgery). Broken ribs catching in a showcase baseball game at 17, and a few more here and there........

All in all, injury made him stronger and fight harder to recover. And his senior year he was one of 8 "kids to watch" in Texas 2A Baseball.

"Copay"....er.... I mean Dillon is off in college now and doing fantastic.

Prayers for your sons quick healing bud.............

Wish all you select parents a great year, first time in a long long time were not playing 100+ baseball games a year. Sure gonna miss it..
Bullydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2019, 06:32 PM   #43
jbarr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country, S. Texas

My son made the Deer Park High School Baseball Team this afternoon. He’s busted his tail the past 2 years for this. Definitely proud of him. Good luck this year fellas looking forward to see everyone’s kids and teams progress this season.

jbarr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2019, 07:01 PM   #44
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr View Post
My son made the Deer Park High School Baseball Team this afternoon. He’s busted his tail the past 2 years for this. Definitely proud of him. Good luck this year fellas looking forward to see everyone’s kids and teams progress this season.

Congrats to him keep putting in the hard work!
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2019, 07:48 PM   #45
LukeDuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas, Louisiana

Congrats to you and your boy Jbarr!

I remember your story about coaching your son's teams this Spring...it must be extra sweet in light of that.

Tons of heartbreak is dealt out on lists like that this time of year. Those that get to keep playing for their school are truly blessed!

Last edited by LukeDuke; 01-26-2019 at 08:44 PM.
LukeDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2019, 07:00 AM   #46
jbarr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country, S. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeDuke View Post
Congrats to you and your boy Jbarr!

I remember your story about coaching your son's teams this Spring...it must be extra sweet in light of that.

Tons of heartbreak is dealt out on lists like that this time of year. Those that get to keep playing for their school are truly blessed!
Yes sir, we are both pretty excited about it. Unfortunately a couple of his buddies didn’t make the team.
jbarr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2019, 10:53 AM   #47
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:

That's awesome man, good luck to you guys this year
Old 01-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #48
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullydog View Post
Man that sucks Systemnt. but hes young.

My middle son who played select ball from 9-18 was an injury machine. Broken ankles (football/motocross), broke both arms same day when he was 13 (basketball). Dislocated throwing shoulder at 14 in a game. Broke finger and damaged growth plate at 16 in Football, (another surgery). Broken ribs catching in a showcase baseball game at 17, and a few more here and there........

All in all, injury made him stronger and fight harder to recover. And his senior year he was one of 8 "kids to watch" in Texas 2A Baseball.

"Copay"....er.... I mean Dillon is off in college now and doing fantastic.

Prayers for your sons quick healing bud.............

Wish all you select parents a great year, first time in a long long time were not playing 100+ baseball games a year. Sure gonna miss it..
"Copay" haha
Old 01-27-2019, 11:07 AM   #49
twperdue
Six Point

Good luck to all the players this Spring!

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by twperdue; 01-27-2019 at 11:49 AM.
twperdue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2019, 02:40 PM   #50
cwill
Ten Point

Quote:

That's awesome and congrats! My boy will be a Freshman next year and we've always said we let him play travel ball now in hopes that he will have the skills to make his highschool team if he wants to play. There sure is alot of competition these days and sadly alot of really good ball player get cut. Must be extra hard to make a team at a large school like deer Park! Congrats again!