Flying with bow...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying with bow...?

This is an 11th hour situation...my fiancé and I go to her home state of Ohio every year for thanksgiving and we fly out tomorrow evening. I was invited by her family to bring my bow so I could do some hunting with them while we’re up there for the next 5 days. Here’s my problem... I have had a SKB Parrallel Limb bow case for many many years and don’t know that I ever got a set of keys for my locks. Well I called SKB two weeks ago and asked them what my options were. To get replacement keys or if I would need to buy all new locks. They sent me a replacement set of keys as an issue “under warranty”!! Super great customer service!!! Well two days ago I got the keys in the mail and they don’t fit my locks. Sooo here’s my question: Would you guys risk flying your bow and all your stuff while unable to lock it in a case or am I just SOL on this opurtunity to take my bow with me??

I Would personally risk it, worse case scenario a bow can be replaced. I can’t remember a time when I’ve passed up an invite to hunt.

Comment

Yes I would risk it. Go to the airport a little earlier than usual, then tell them you want to be present for the TSA check on the case. They will send you to security and a TSA agent will open it, check it, and then close it while you watch, and they will tag it as having been checked.
      If you bring a luggage strap they will secure it around the case. If you don't have a strap, bring them some really strong Gorilla tape and instruct the agent to put wrap around the entire middle of the case, where the handle is. I hope I explained this right.

No it isn't going to stop someone bent on taking your bow, but it will make it a little more difficult, so the opportunistic thief will move on.

Comment

Couldn’t find my SKB keys last time i flew to Canada. Left my bow case unlocked and had no problem. I Series has padlock holes. That is a better option. The TSA latch locks are easily broken anyway.

Comment

I never lock my case when I fly.. I do one of two things depending on the case I am flying with.With both of my methods I show up to check my bags and ask if I can accompany my bow case through security. Half of the airports allow it and half dont. All depends on where you are.

If they do allow it go with your case until it has been searched and when they complete the search do one of two things.. #1 zip tie it shut.. #2 wrap it in duct tape.. If they have already searched it then there is no need for anyone else to be in it..

If the airport will not let me accompany it to security then I.. #1 zip tie it shut or #2 duct tape the **** out of it..This way I know if someone was in my case.. 90% of the time they wont mess with it.

Those locks do nothing.. Everyone at the airport has a key?? So why are you stressing about the lock?

Comment

Put your own lock on it

Comment

Put locks on it or buy a new case this morning.

Comment

I'd risk it and leave it unlocked. The East Texas Redneck in me says just run some duct tape around the whole thing and you will be good

Comment

Yes zip ties and duct tape......"Should I go hunt giants or maybe not take my bow and be stuck there hanging with the women and children?" Come on man! i have faith you were going to do the right thing and were just needing some support, so here it is....take bow, it will be ok. Good luck. Kill a toad!

Comment

I’ve been to Maine and Canada several times. I put my bow and all hunting clothes/gear in a double bow skb case with 3 regular padlocks from Lowe’s. Keep the key on your person and they will ask what is in the case. Tell them archery equipment. They asked me for the key each time they opened the case. Enjoy your trip and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by N.DaWoods View Post
                      Yes zip ties and duct tape......"Should I go hunt giants or maybe not take my bow and be stuck there hanging with the women and children?" Come on man! i have faith you were going to do the right thing and were just needing some support, so here it is....take bow, it will be ok. Good luck. Kill a toad!
                      Lol on the money!

I was pretty set on taking it, just needed the reassurance! Thanks for all the responses guys. Hoping to update this with LDP's this weekend. Forecast says cold and wet, deer have to get up and move to eat!!

Comment

Originally posted by N.DaWoods View Post
                        Lol!
                        I've taken a bow once,and golf clubs a couple of times.I didn't lock either of them.They'll be fine I betcha!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X