No announcement yet.

1911 Experts - Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HogCommander brought up some very good points that I overlooked, it very well could have been a Bullseye pistol. That gives it a very interesting history that no one may never know. Some person probably spent many hours modifying that pistol and dreaming of a perfect score.

Comment

I really can't say how excited I am for you. I am old school and I love 1911's and 98 mausers. John Moses Browning had no idea his design would be after 100 yrs. be the most copied and produced handgun in the world but he did it right and it is still the standard that all others are judged by. After going back and looking at the pictures the only thing I can see is the magazine probably isn't the original but after almost 100 yrs. that would be almost to much to ask for. You said volumes with you want to find a home with someone who'd appreciate it for what is worth. It's not just about the money. I'll be perfectly honest and say I'd have a hard time parting with that pistol. I have a Colt Woodsman MT that I bought back in the 70's that I need to pass along but it is like my child in that it has to go to someone that will appreciate it for what it is not just what it is worth. These older firearms are examples of American craftsman ship at its best. I would be interested to hear what someone who deals in this has to say about it. Still a great piece of American firearms history.

Comment

Did some looking on line this morning and My post is not correct. Colt didn't make N.M. pistols until 1932. Colt overlapped serial numbers so when I ran the serial number it showed the pistol as being a N.M. which it is not. The C in front of the serial number is to designate it as a commercial model. You can go to 1911forum.com and there are several posts on this. I apologize for the confusion.

Comment

I’ve decided to take it to an appraiser just to get a better idea of what it is. I’ve had Jackson Armory in Dallas recommended so that is where I’ll take it tomorrow.

We’ll see if it’s parts or something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 250AI View Post
            Did some looking on line this morning and My post is not correct. Colt didn't make N.M. pistols until 1932. Colt overlapped serial numbers so when I ran the serial number it showed the pistol as being a N.M. which it is not. The C in front of the serial number is to designate it as a commercial model. You can go to 1911forum.com and there are several posts on this. I apologize for the confusion.

I was going to recommend the 1911 forum for you. The guys there are eagle eyes. Someone was trying to sell a 1911 as a military gun when in fact it was a parts gun.

1911 will be witnessed to the most parts guns of any gun, for obvious reasons.

The good news is, you can still buy parts today and get a better fit. The bad news is, you got more of a “*******” piece that will be worth more to you then in the market place. You got a probably good functioning gun, that’s about it right now. It can be tweaked to be safety functional and carried as what’s called “cocked and locked” which is how this gun should be carried.

As for a bullseye gun ? I think the technology has surpassed those days of this gun. To really get it up to speed, you’d be better off getting a newer, updated gun and start from there, still costly but ending up with a much fresher gun for a few hundred dollars more. I see no more than $300 max in your piece. I wouldn’t pay it, but for someone to use carrying as a side arm bowhunting, it might work with some tweaking and going over.

I’d keep it if I were you, look for better fitting parts by a good gunsmith who’d fit the gun perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
              totally looks like a put together parts gun, never seen a site like that on any 1911,,, looks like someone took something off a rifle and stuck it on there, the front sight looks like a non factory thing also, safety not engaging properly also speaks of a parts gun, in one pic the slide and frame do not match up which will effect the safety also. the mag well is certainly not factory nor is the checking of the front strap.. looks like someone tried to make a competition gun out of it..however i think i would pass on ever shooting it !
              this!

Comment

Working...
              X