No announcement yet.

Boat transom replacement help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I removed the gas tank completely and made sure it was clean. (It was). I also replaced the hose and primer bulb. I don’t think the carbs need rebuilding. They seem to be fine and the boat was set up before this ethanol junk was being used. I’m going to put new plugs in it and see what happens.

Comment

I don't have a boat or a desire to own one but really enjoyed your write up.

Comment

Might not hurt to decarb the motor. Plenty of YouTube videos in it.

Comment

Man, this thread has given me nothing but anxiety about buying an older boat!! I almost pulled the trigger, but knowing my luck, I will get it from a guy who watched youtube videos to save some $$$ for band aid repairs that will in turn be my problem... UGH!!! SCREW THAT!!

Cool thread btw.

Comment

99% chance it's the carbs.

You may check compression one more time before you take it out after running at higher speeds. Avoid the temptation to rev it up on water muffs!

I would also add a modern fuel filter water separator system.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
              I removed the gas tank completely and made sure it was clean. (It was). I also replaced the hose and primer bulb. I don’t think the carbs need rebuilding. They seem to be fine and the boat was set up before this ethanol junk was being used. I’m going to put new plugs in it and see what happens.
              Thats good it was just the plugs, I don't know much about the old ones but one thing I know about the new Suzukis, they are super reliable same deal with Hondas but if something breaks good luck at finding someone who knows how to work on them. I would consider also only running non ethanol gas, heres a list of non ethanol stations https://www.pure-gas.org/ If you do run regular gas an ethanol additive like Quickare, Biobore EB or Stabil marine is a MUST, those old engines only ever had non ethanol in them and ethanol can disolve deposits in there that can cause serious issues down the road not to mention ethanol will eat your fuel lines and other rubber/plastic parts in the engine that weren't designed for ethanol. If it has the old grey fuel lines replace them asap otherwise you will end up with this problem http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=22490 One thing about BOAT keepup, Bust Out Another Thousand.
              Last edited by bossbowman; 07-21-2019, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                Thats good it was just the plugs, I don't know much about the old ones but one thing I know about the new Suzukis, they are super reliable same deal with Hondas but if something breaks good luck at finding someone who knows how to work on them. I would consider also only running non ethanol gas, heres a list of non ethanol stations https://www.pure-gas.org/ If you do run regular gas an ethanol additive like Quickare, Biobore EB or Stabil marine is a MUST, those old engines only ever had non ethanol in them and ethanol can disolve deposits in there that can cause serious issues down the road not to mention ethanol will eat your fuel lines and other rubber/plastic parts in the engine that weren't designed for ethanol. If it has the old grey fuel lines replace them asap otherwise you will end up with this problem http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=22490 One thing about BOAT keepup, Bust Out Another Thousand.

Thanks for the tips. This isn’t my first boat, I’ve owned at least one my entire adult life. I have been pretty lucky with them over the years. I use seafoam and haven’t had a problem with ethanol yet. I’ve seen the nightmares that stuff can cause though and it ain’t pretty.

I have a full can of seafoam in about 15 gallons of premium gas in the boat right now. I’ll probably do a decarb on it soon also. I’m anxious to see if new plugs solve my problem. Seems to be running fine again on the hose since I cleaned them up.

I have another boat and have no use for this boat. I got it for the project, not the end result. I’m sure once I get all the kinks worked out I’ll sell it and find another project. I enjoy fixing things that most people would throw away.

Anyway, thanks everyone the followed along and offered advice. I’ll post more once I get her to the lake again.

Comment

Hmmm, seems I've read of yamaha plug fouling problems when running higher octane, don't know about your motor but those old yamahas and mercs were designed to run 87 octane only, yes 2 strokes are a pain in the...

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                    Hmmm, seems I've read of yamaha plug fouling problems when running higher octane, don't know about your motor but those old yamahas and mercs were designed to run 87 octane only, yes 2 strokes are a pain in the...

That’s a good point. That may be what happened. I attributed it to what I did to it. I wasn’t sure if the oil injection system was working so the first time a started it I used the gas tank from my other boat which was mixed 50:1. So, it was getting double or even triple the oil it should have. Once I was satisfied the oil injection was working I hooked back up to the built in tank. I just figured I oil fouled them.

Comment

I screwed 4 new plugs in it today and replaced the speedometer pick up. She runs better than ever on the hose. I’m optimistic that it will run as good on the water.

Comment

Went back to the lake this morning and the boat ran great the entire time. Found a few more kinks to work out though. The tach stopped working for some reason. Neither livewell will fill with water. I put new pumps so I assume there are dirt daubers in the hoses. Getting closer to being “finished”.

Comment

Good deal!! That transom will outlast the rest of the boat. I’ve had mine on Rayburn in legit 4 footers and she’s held up just fine.

Comment

You will find dobber nests for months if not years to come, I did on one I bought that had been stored a long time. I got out in rough water, once home both of my rod lockers were had several rolling around in there.

Comment

Came across this yesterday and made me think about this post, I thought the sponson issue was a problem with some models '87 Skeeter Strada F 120

Comment

Seacast Transom

Wanted to follow up and see how the seacast has performed thus far. Thinking of doing it to my '86 skeeter and seem to be in the same situation, its almost too good to be true.

Comment

Working...
                                X