Shrimp Boil Techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shrimp Boil Techniques

What is the best technique to cool down the boil? I’ve seen the boil master. People ice in the boil. Spraying the side with a water hose. What do you think is the best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, i have never tried this. I just drain immediately, and throw on the table hot.

Comment

Shrimp are real easy to overcook. I usually bring water to a boil, throw shrimp in and turn the fire off. When they float, they’re ready. I put them on ice when I take them out of the water.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
        Shrimp are real easy to overcook. I usually bring water to a boil, throw shrimp in and turn the fire off. When they float, they’re ready. I put them on ice when I take them out of the water.

Now when you say put it on ice. Is that after you pull it out of the boil or you put the ice in the boil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a roaring boil, throw the shrimp in, bring back to boil, shut off fire, add ice, soak no more than three-to-five minutes and then take out. It's very easy to overcooked shrimp.

Comment

I bring the seasoned water to a boil and add shrimp. Bring back to boil for 2 min and turn the fire off. Add ice until they sink . soak for 15 min .. then either put them on ice if you like the cold or eat them hot..

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
              This. You want to poach shrimp, not boil them into mush. They are done at 120F, so you can cook them in water that's not very hot. The hotter the water, the faster they cook, the less room you have for error, and the higher temp the outside will reach before the inside is done.
              Last edited by sir shovelhands; 05-28-2019, 12:29 AM.

Comment

The secret to boiling a shrimp is you don’t boil it
                Bring your shrimp to room temp, drop in hot water, pull them out

Comment

The last boil we did I put them in boiling water, shut it off, and started adding ice after about 2 minutes. They turned out perfect and soaked up more of the seasoning when the water cooled off.

Comment

Originally posted by Swamprat View Post
                    I have a roaring boil, throw the shrimp in, bring back to boil, shut off fire, add ice, soak no more than three-to-five minutes and then take out. It's very easy to overcooked shrimp.
                    Just tried this technique and it turned out awesome. Previously I had boiled until floating, but this was way better

Comment

I have a roaring-seasoned boil, throw the shrimp in, shut off fire, spray the outside of the pot, soak and sample one every few minutes until they taste right, then take out.

Comment

I’ll bring the water to a boil, put the shrimp in and bring back to a boil, cook for two minutes and immediately pulled him out of the water and go to ice.

I do not have a huge pot with a cajun cooker so I might do two or three batches. I don’t want to put ice in the water and have to start over boiling. I can do three batches in about 25 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                          The last boil we did I put them in boiling water, shut it off, and started adding ice after about 2 minutes. They turned out perfect and soaked up more of the seasoning when the water cooled off.
                          This.

Comment

I bring the water to a boil, toss in the shrimp, turn off the fire and I let the shrimp sit for 2 minutes. Then I put a milk jug of frozen water into the pot to bring down the temp and stop them from cooking. Then I let them sit for as long as I can stand it. The longer they soak, the more flavor they absorb.
                            Last edited by Cultured Hick; 01-03-2020, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                              I’ll bring the water to a boil, put the shrimp in and bring back to a boil, cook for two minutes and immediately pulled him out of the water and go to ice.

I do not have a huge pot with a cajun cooker so I might do two or three batches. I don’t want to put ice in the water and have to start over boiling. I can do three batches in about 25 minutes.
                              Over cooked. Bring water to boil, throw in shrimp, and kill fire. After 30 to 45 seconds throw in ice to stop the cooking and let soak for however long you like.

Comment

Working...
                              X