Lamar/Red River counties Hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lamar/Red River counties Hunting thread

I just got on what I refer to as a pig lease, and thought I would start a thread for that area. Please post your experiences, TC pics, as well as game processors. Also, if any of you know of folks that will shrewd and plant food plots.
    I would start by posting pics of the many pigs that run our place, but can’t seem to post pics here. The place I’m on is north of Deport off of 410. Hope everyone has a great season, and be careful, as I just learned that the place is covered up with copperhead snakes! Yuk
    Bert

I just got access to 30 ac north of Blossom. I'll be going up Thursday night to hunt my first time Friday morning. I'm anxious to see what the camera will show if any..

Comment

We hunt about 10 miles north of Clarksville, and have been for about 10 years now. Tons of pigs, great turkey population, and quite a few deer. Tough hunting, but there’s some monster deer up there. Good luck!

Comment

I’m not thrilled to find out that does can only be harvested the first 2 weeks, and only 1 turkey which can only be taken in the spring.

Comment

You have all of bow season, as well as late Muzzleloader season for does too. These are Eastern turkey, still trying to get the population up, and they are not as easy as Rios.

Comment

Our place is 5 miles east of Johntown. This is the second season we have owned it. Passed on some decent bucks last year as this was our first year this far north and has no idea what was on the property. On average we see 8-12 deer at each feeder per hunt. Mostly doe and young bucks, but do have a few that seemed to enjoy extra protein. Never seen any turkey in person but have them in camera often. Pigs come and go depending on the river. We had them most of the year last year and than didn’t get any on camera or in person for almost 6 months. With all of the rain her lately they have been hitting the feeders full force.

Comment

What’s the reason for the short doe season? I have a bunch of does running around

Comment

They are trying to get the population back up because of over hunting in the past. Mr Green jeans told me last year they don’t want breed doe being shot. We are in the same boat on our place the doe to buck ratio seems to be very high as we have way more doe than bucks. I just look at it as meat in the freezer. So we can be more selective on what we shoot. Most of the area still lives by the moto if it’s brown it’s down. I think in a few years they lift the restriction.

Comment

Has anyone had any luck? I haven’t been able to get up there other than to fill feeders and mow.

Comment

I shot a nice doe opening day of archery, haven't been back up since due to all of the rain. we are heading up this weekend for one more go with the bow. Going to be a mud pit, but it beats sitting on the couch. I hope my food plots didn't wash away, planted that weekend also.

Comment

I’m starting to see some good movement from the bucks. The bachelor groups are mostly broken up and they are starting to roam. Younger bucks seem to be checking the ladies out and had a 4 point giving one the chase yesterday evening, but the older 8 didn’t pay her any attention.

Comment

Thanks guys. Going up this weekend to fill feeders and check food plots. Not going to be able to get a sit in until youth weekend. Hoping my son can get it done quickly so we can hit the bow stands.

Comment

They were moving really good up until 10:30 or so this morning. I probably saw 5-6 different bucks and about 15 doe. Just a couple pictures I took.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I had a buck similar the the second pic last year but he was all main beam on the right side with no brow tines. Can’t get the pic to attach.

Comment

Originally posted by jonesy11383 View Post
                              I had a buck similar the the second pic last year but he was all main beam on the right side with no brow tines. Can’t get the pic to attach.
                              If you’re 5 miles east of Johntown then we ain’t far apart. These were taken just off Sulphur

Comment

Working...
                              X