Auto gate recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flywise View Post
    I have a low end mighty mule on a LIGHT gate that has been great for 3 years.
    Same here and love it!

Comment

Liftmaster

Comment

Go with Apollo. Believe they are under the name “Nice” now

Comment

You didn't say if you were wanting a sliding gate operator or swing gate.
          I've used both US Automatic and Chamberlain for sliding gates with great success.

Comment

I have a Mighty Mule on mine, been running for 11 years. Had a few issues every now and then but it works just fine. However, when it does finally play out I will go with an Apollo.

Comment

I am fixing to get a new opener as well since my Apollo took a swim during Harvey.

My first Apollo was a swing gate opener. It had the basic 836 board in it, and was very simple. It was PIA to install, as the instructions were vague. I ran it off solar, and it worked very good for a few years. I also had a free exit wand.

Lightning got the board & the wand during a bad storm one year. I replaced the board with the upgraded 1050 board, but not the wand. It kept acting up, and was frustrating me. It wasn't until I disconnected the wand that it started working correctly. I just abandoned the wand, and used the my clicker to open it from that point forward. It worked great up until the flood, but was a pain for people to exit that didn't have a clicker. I had to open it for them.

My only complaint with the Apollo was I could never figure out how to make it "Hold Open", without opening the box, and manually forcing it to stay open. This is an option you definetly want to have when you are having people over. I like for the gate to just stay open for a few hours, and then let me override when I want it closed. It would be nice to just have a second code that would operate a "hold open" function.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                I am fixing to get a new opener as well since my Apollo took a swim during Harvey.

My first Apollo was a swing gate opener. It had the basic 836 board in it, and was very simple. It was PIA to install, as the instructions were vague. I ran it off solar, and it worked very good for a few years. I also had a free exit wand.

Lightning got the board & the wand during a bad storm one year. I replaced the board with the upgraded 1050 board, but not the wand. It kept acting up, and was frustrating me. It wasn't until I disconnected the wand that it started working correctly. I just abandoned the wand, and used the my clicker to open it from that point forward. It worked great up until the flood, but was a pain for people to exit that didn't have a clicker. I had to open it for them.

My only complaint with the Apollo was I could never figure out how to make it "Hold Open", without opening the box, and manually forcing it to stay open. This is an option you definetly want to have when you are having people over. I like for the gate to just stay open for a few hours, and then let me override when I want it closed. It would be nice to just have a second code that would operate a "hold open" function.
                My US Automatic has a separate button for hold open. It will stay that way until you override it. BUT, I added a toggle switch to the bottom of my control box. I can open the gate and flip the toggle and all power is cut off. This is handy because even with a hold open feature, you still have battery drain due to the fact that when your timer tells the gate to close, it then gets "told" the hold open feature is active. A simple toggle switch kill all power so no battery drain.

BTW, mine is on solar, so a switch made sense. I mounted it under the box, so you don't have to open the box to switch it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                  My US Automatic has a separate button for hold open. It will stay that way until you override it. BUT, I added a toggle switch to the bottom of my control box. I can open the gate and flip the toggle and all power is cut off. This is handy because even with a hold open feature, you still have battery drain due to the fact that when your timer tells the gate to close, it then gets "told" the hold open feature is active. A simple toggle switch kill all power so no battery drain.

BTW, mine is on solar, so a switch made sense. I mounted it under the box, so you don't have to open the box to switch it.
                  Thanks Ironman. I have been looking hard at the US Automatic.

Do you know if you can program factory the buttons on a vehicle (like a ford has on the visor?) to work with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                    Thanks Ironman. I have been looking hard at the US Automatic.

Do you know if you can program factory the buttons on a vehicle (like a ford has on the visor?) to work with it?
                    That's a good question. I think it would depend on the vehicle. Reason is, US Automatic uses European codes. The reason for that, that was given to me, is that it's less likely that someone else's remote would be able to open your gate. I guess it would depend on whether or not your vehicle recognizes European codes.

Comment

My first MM was really good. It lasted 7 years, which even the company said that was unheard of. In the 3 years since I replaced that one, I've replaced the arms twice. At $300 each that's $900 in 10 years.

The Apollo and US Automatic have better warranties and I've heard of people using theirs for 10-20+ years. I see way to many negative comments about the MM and lots of positive comments about the Apollo and US Automatic.

Comment

We have Mighty Mules and there is always something wrong, not working

Comment

If you have a mighty mule then you dont have anything.
                          Complete junk.
                          Apollo is not what they used to be,they didnt handle the new regulations requiring more safety equipment very well.
                          Usautomatic is the best option for solar swing gates bigger then 14'
                          For smaller gates the liftmaster la412 is by far the best option for solar.
                          For a/c power installations the rsw12ul is great also best long term.

Comment

Apollo isn’t the company it use to be. You can still get the bare bones 1500 model with the 636 board and that’s all I would use of theirs.
                            I’d use us automatic if your look for a heavy residential arm. If you’re looking for something just slightly lighter weight use the liftmaster la 400/412. You can’t beat the built in receiver for remotes.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                              I have a solar powered lift master no problems with it 6 years old. Of course I had to put batteries in it 2 different times
                              I have one of these and its the biggest piece of crap on the face of the earth. I hate that dang gate. Just looking at it ticks me off. I'm about to replace it and I'll take that Lift Master hunk of garbage to the ranch and shoot it full of holes.

Comment

Liftmaster going strong for 5 years now

Comment

Working...
                                X