Fall food plot ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall food plot ideas?

We are for sure going to plant oats, but what else should we mix with it? We are in a river bottom area, that tends to hold some standing water at times. I was thinking maybe oats/chicory, but I just saw some imperial institute winter greens online. They looked intriguing, anyone tried them? I know some people plant turnips, radishes etc but was really wanting something that will be up and going by start of bow season and until thanksgiving. AFter that it's duck season (plus deer all disappear after thanksgiving).

Just researched a bit more, what about 100 lbs of winter peas and 50 lbs of oats for about 1.5-2 acres?
    Last edited by EastTexasMan; 06-27-2014, 11:20 AM.

Turnips are a great for late season. Being a Brasciaa the deer won't touch them until it gets cold.

Comment

Only thing about planting the winter peas is that there is a good chance of them getting wiped out early. I lost all mine on a 3 1/2 acre plot a few years ago due to early browsing. Makes for a great early archery season plot though, they are like candy to a deer. I use 50 lb oats/ 25 lb peas per acre.

Comment

i will be planting winter peas for the first time this year, hoping they keep the bucks close early and the turnips bring'em back late.

Comment

Yeah think I'm going to as well... 100 lbs oats / 50 lbs peas or 50 lbs oats/100 lbs peas...hmmm

Comment

elgato turned me on to blue lupine:

says he uses it in his fall mix and has good luck with it, i am going to try this also if i can find some.

Comment

Use the I/C Peas in fall plot with oats. You are right, your deer disappear by Thanksgiving. The peas will get killed out with heavy frost but chance of that before Thanksgiving isn't great. They will last through bow season. We plant 80 lbs oats and 20-25 peas.

Comment

Originally posted by courtatlawjudge View Post
                Use the I/C Peas in fall plot with oats. You are right, your deer disappear by Thanksgiving. The peas will get killed out with heavy frost but chance of that before Thanksgiving isn't great. They will last through bow season. We plant 80 lbs oats and 20-25 peas.
                Why not use winter peas instead of I/c peas? They will probably eat them down anyway but they would make it through the frost, right?

Comment

I was thinking about using Oats and Peas mix too. Figure I plant at the end of Sept and by Mid October I can sit on them while they wipe out the peas, and the oats will last. I would like to add one more plant to the mix, I might add some durano clover.

Comment

I had great luck with kale last year planted in with my winter rye. They just annihilated it. It's very winter hardy. This year I'm going to double my kale planting.

Comment

Has anyone planted Rape for fall? I got about 4 lbs of seed real cheap and was going to put some out this fall in with the Rye Grain? Seeds are small like clover so I think I can get soil contact by just spreading on the surface along with the clover. Anyone??

Comment

Uncle
                        I read up on Kale. seems like I remember there is some good upkeep that is needed (ie couple rounds of fertilizer) to get it going or am I thinking wrong?

also, whats the time from seed to plant that you noticed?

Comment

Originally posted by birddoggin View Post
                          Uncle
                          I read up on Kale. seems like I remember there is some good upkeep that is needed (ie couple rounds of fertilizer) to get it going or am I thinking wrong?

also, whats the time from seed to plant that you noticed?
                          I didn't do much at all and it came up great. Just broadcast in some dead thatch. The seeds are small and work great for throw and grow planting. I put one round of triple 13 on it.

It germinated really quick if I remember right. The deer just destroyed it. It made me a believer. I planted siberian dwarf kale.

Comment

I broadcast 150 lbs / acre of seed.
                            Seed Oats, wheat & elbow rye.
                            Eaten to the ground every year. Cages show the growth and usage.

Mostly sandy loam FYI

Big pig

Comment

Working...
                            X