S TX Irrigated Dove Mix-60 Days In--

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S TX Irrigated Dove Mix-60 Days In--

I planted Pogue's Spring Bird Buffet Mix on April 20th. We watered .25" 3 times a week for the first 30 days, and .25" 2 times a week in the last 30 days.

I took these pics last week and I'm concerned about the rate the plot is seeding out. Will I have any seed left by mid-September?

Click image for larger version

Name:	043 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	24809825

Name:	045 copy.jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	24809826

Name:	054 copy.jpg
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	24809827

Name:	052 copy.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	24809828

Name:	046 copy.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	24809829

Name:	056 copy.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	24809830

Name:	066 copy.jpg
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	24809831

Name:	065 copy.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	24809832

Name:	075 copy.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	24809833

Name:	070 copy.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	24809834

Name:	072 copy.jpg
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	24809835

Name:	079 copy.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	24809836

Browntop millet, Dove Proso millet, German foxtail millet, Sorghum, Egyptian wheat, and Sesame

I would google each seed and see how long it needs to grow until it makes seed, what day did you exacty plant all of it and what county is it in for Dove season opener?? Looks like north zone west of san antonio to me just guessing, you could always ask Pogue, they have forgot more about seed than all of the other hyped up pimping outfits of seed will ever know, he was my next door neighbor and make a million selling buffel grass and other grases all over the world, not just the tiny in comparsion hunting market for plots. How do you manage your feild for shooting, will you shred some down on the gound 1 week before the season opens and then some more say a acre each week??? Really looks like a good stand to me and a gret job watering!!!! Great topic, you rarely see anybody posting about dove shooting feild management and how to rotate out hunters and how and when to shred some down for drawing in birds, do you have a water tank near this fine feild as well??? YOu are so blessed to have the irragation system, i used to hit 1 out of 3 years with a 60 acre feild of millet, but when i hit, omg was so many birds we had the feds out there thinking we were baiting or doing something illegal. Keep us posted, nice work and i hope your seeds stay on and dont get eaten by some trashy grackels or some other nasty pests and all the dove flock to your shooting feild!!!! Do you have any hogs that try to eat any of it as its maturing???? Any birds hitting it so far?? I figure it will stand up for 45 days after it seeds out until it falls down but not sure to truthfully guess how long the seed will stay on the plant until it falls out or birds strip it???

Comment

This is my first attempt at growing a spring bird plot and my first plot under irrigation. We just got the pivot in April. So far, I'm happy with the growth!

We're in SW Dimmit county, so dove season will open Sept 18th but there are several Whitewing weekends before that. I'll shred strips in early Sept, wait 10 days or so and hunt it. Then I'll shred again and wait another 10 days before hunting it again. We don't sell hunts, so it will be light hunting pressure.

There is a new 35 acre lake with 100yds of the field. It was built last year and the water combined with the open lake bed brought in thousands of doves. I think this year with the water and food together, it should be even better.

No hogs, and the birds in the field are eating bugs right now. Deer have lightly grazed one back corner. The seeds are just forming and need to mature and dry before the birds get after them.

I think the Millet will be fully mature with hard seeds in the next 2 weeks, and the Sesame and Sorghum should be mature 3 weeks after the Millet. So 5 weeks until the latest seeds are mature. With a little drying time added on, I might have some seeds left in late Sept???

Comment

I forgot to add that I increased the watering to .35" each time, 3 days a week (MWF).

Comment

I know the BT millet will reseed very quick if you shred and the head will be low to the ground. No idea on the other plants.

Comment

Peyton - if you do any shredding of the field, you'll have to wait 10 days AFTER all evidence of seeds, grains, etc. are absent when you then can hunt over it, since that is manipulation of the plant. And then shredding ever so often, you could very well get cited for baiting by shredding(manipulating the plants grown for doves which you planted). Be super careful on what you do with your field, best to hunt over it as is and be safe all round.

Comment

I knew somebody would point that out!

That's why I said I'd wait 10 days, OR SO!!!!

Comment

Looks good Peyton! See your a neighbor too.

Comment

Working...
                X